What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to mount two batteries

Carl Froehlich

Well Known Member
There seems to be many builders interested in a two battery power distribution design, but get tripped up on how/where to mount the batteries.

I just completed the mounts for two PC-625 batteries in my new project. I used a similarly equipped flying RV-8 W&B as the data to calculate the new W&B for one battery mounted in the forward baggage well, and one battery mounted in the standard spot aft of the baggage compartment. For a standard IO-360-M1B engine and a Hartzell BA CS prop, the W&B comes out just about perfect (better than one battery forward or one battery aft).

Both battery trays are modified from stock Van's trays.

If anyone is interested, PM me your email address and I'll provide battery mounting photos and wiring instructions.

Carl

You can.

We installed two 680's in the back location, by just stretching out the factory battery box. Then ran two cables up to the right kick panel where we put a Blue Sea splitter switch. Worked very well. But we had a very light prop and engine with a light airframe of only 1008 Lbs., so we moved to a one battery on the fire wall as in the plans, to get full use of the C.G. and weight loading limits. Hope this helps. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Back