What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy hinge pins don?t align with canopy hinge

Barneybc12d

Well Known Member
I was very careful that I built the canopy frame without twist. When I try to install the canopy on the fuselage, the hinge pins will not engage completely, not even close. Anyone else have alignment problems?

It is a little tricky the first time. I found it easier to insert in an almost full open position then rotate down to get it in. Two people easier than one for sure.

Hopefully not being Captain obvious, but some things to think about:

Check the hinge pins where front of canopy attaches for full engagement - I used a temporary short "canopy release handle" and it's not too hard to leave it in an intermediate position. Part of this process might be to remove the canopy completely and check the operation of the pins in those hinges: I notice that you took a long break from building so may need some lubrication there if it that area was built before your break.

Check for any binding along the front of the canopy as you lower it - especially the front skin edge between the hinges where they engage the fuselage structure. Look for threads about the issues of binding in this area. Here's one: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=167134&highlight=heartbreaking

Check to be sure that you don't have a spot where the canopy plexi is binding the rear window (if you've already installed the canopy plexi)

Check for binding of the canopy frame where it touches along sides of the roll bar and also check the dimension of the plastic rub strips carefully.

Also Look for any twist in the canopy frame as it lowers - again looking for binding of the frame on roll bar and also proper alignment of side skins over canopy rail as it's lowered.

Finally - be sure pins are fully retracted when lowering canopy, and that they fully extend when engaging the lock.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I finally got it. I removed one of the pins so that all of the force applied to the mechanism went to one pin. After numerous cycles, that pin got easier to engage. Did the same to the other side and was successful when both were connected.

The canopy fitment will also change slightly with fluctuating temperatures. Some days it could be harder to close than others, depending on how tight it was to begin with.

Also, the foam pads you install on the front outside corners of the canopy can make a different to how well it fits. I ended up only using 1 foam pad layer here to get a perfect seal and a perfect fit. I think the manual calls for 2 layers.

Back