What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skip the G3X?

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I'm thinking of skipping the G3X in the new plane. I think that the GNS375 along with a pair of radios and a G5 or two would be pretty good in an RV8.

The thing that I can't find is a good looking clean engine monitor. I don't have a lot of them to look at online and no airshows for a while; wonder what ya'll think about them?

I'll probably end up with a 7" landscape G3X to be an engine monitor and EFIS based on what I'm seeing out there right now.

Hard to beat G3X or Dynon

The problem that you are going to run into is all the other Engine monitoring companies cost too much because generally they are for the certified market. Sure, there are a few companies that use iPads or a 80's style display that may be cheaper for the experimental market but when you compare a Garmin G3X or G3X Touch, or Dynon's Skyview or HDX to other color rich displays like JPI or Electronic International, the cost is about the same and you don't get Flight Display and Map with the JPI and EI. By the time you buy a couple of G5's and add a JPI or EI Engine monitor you're in the same ballpark as a full featured EFIS.

While I'd probably go whole hog on the G3X suite, I think this is an interesting idea. The JPI EDM-350 looks very capable to me and affordable for what you get. I assume the GNS375 can talk directly to the G5s? Or is an ARINC box required? The nice thing about these smaller units is that they will fit into the -8's smaller panel better. I can tell you that the Dynon/Trig radio is a good unit and it would be easy to get two of them in the panel as well. Where this thing falls down is the autopilot

GI275

Garmin just came out with a new family of certified round digital displays. One version is for engine data display (EIS). But, being certified it costs the big bucks $5295. G3X is probably the better solution for your case.

GRT

The GRT EIS is tried and tested and will not take up much panel space alongside a G5 or two. It doesn't have a coloured graphical display, unless connected to a GRT EFIS. But then it doesn't really need a flashy display, because the EMS is monitoring the engine, and it will flag any reading that is outside of range.

If you stick to your original plan consider the EI CGR 30P engine monitor. Beautiful color graphics. Small, round and powerful. I installed one 200 hours ago in my Husky. I love it. I had always been an JPI guy but EI has finally come around and in my opinion may even have eclipsed JPI. Now, in my RV-8 I have G3X touch with GEA 24 and don't see anything different or more on the G3X EIS vs the EI. In fact, the EI CGR has graphical planform of the engine showing cylinders and a tall tank-shaped fuel level display that is very intuitive at a glance. And the lean-find algorithm makes more sense to me than the Garmin. The dedicated CGR also shows more information all the time than the basic G3X gauges before you tap them for more details which takes down your MFD. With the G3X I find myself jumping back and forth between the MFD and the engine detail screen. As far as stand-alone EIS units the newer Garmin 275 round displays are the most costly of the bunch ($$$). The CGR ain't cheap but it's less ($$). I have also become a fan of the newer patented cylindrical hex set screw wire connectors developed by EI for sensor wire reliability under the cowl. No more spade terminal woes in the high heat and vibration environment of the engine. Those are also sold seperately for non-EI installations or legacy EI products. Nice.

Simiar to G3X architecture the CGR 30P display you see in the panel is just that, a display and control panel. There is a remote box where all the sensors connect and the computer is located (an LRU like the GEA 24). For the record I believe MGL and most other glass panel makes take this engine LRU approach also. I mounted mine on the Husky's firewall. This cleans up the installation as the panel disolay is very shallow with only a few wires going to it since the remote LRU handles all the engine sensor wiring. Compare this to traditional engine analyzers where there are bundles of wires going to a long heavy instrument in the panel.

So I say don't let engine monitoring functionality be a reason to sway you toward G3X if it is more than you want.

Last edited:
I like that EI solution. The MGL is good too, but I have to say that the white square buttons don't look good to me - probably not important.

Seems like a pair of G5, an EI engine monitor, and a Vertical Power system would be a good setup using the Garmin 375 and autopilot/servos for IFR work.

Only thing lacking is a way to select remote radios, or display charts/approaches. Panel mounted radio is okay. iPad gets the charts in the cockpit but I don't especially want an iPad mounted. That might be the kicker for putting in the G3X or Skyview instead.

As another poster said, the GRT EIS has been around for a long time, is reliable, has everything you’ll need in an engine monitor and couples to other GRT EFIS equipment. You could buy a GRT Mini-X for $1395., and it will display all engine info in a very readable format that is also a PFD/mini efis (if you want to select that page)with its internal AHRS, moving map (if you want to select that page) with its internal WAAS GPS, and has the option of a built in backup battery. The EIS module can be the remote unit, or the panel mounted, both of which communicates with the Mini via a single RS232 22 gauge wire. There’s a lot of bang for the buck with that arrangement.

Back