What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's the minimum camping equip/supplies you take with you when you camp?

kjowen

Well Known Member
I've been thinking about flying in and camping at Oshkosh this year for the 1st time now that I have the -10. I haven't camped since we took a three day canoe trip down the New river in college, so my camping supplies currently consists of:
1) a tent.
There were 4 of us and two canoes, so we had to pack light similar to, I assume, packing an airplane. But this time my spouse will be going with me, so I would like to make it as enjoyable for her as possible - she's a little hesitant about the whole camping thing?.
Could I get some suggestions on what I should consider to make the trip a little more comfortable for someone who has not done this is a very long long time and a reluctant spouse who again, thinks I'm crazy. ;) You guys that camp with your airplane can you give me any suggestions, or warn me off of anything that I should be on the look out to avoid. It would be appreciated?
I'm thinking of at least these items:
2)sleeping bags and probably a mattress of some type
3)camp chairs for the air shows and chilin' out and maybe a folding table
4)propane camp stove for coffee in the morning and maybe a lantern
5)and a cooler for cold beverages?.
6)bug spray
7)clothing adequate for all temperatures and conditions?..
?
Thank you.

You canoed the New River? The one in WV? Gutsy if that's the one you did in a canoe! I've rafted it and BASE jumped off their fine bridge in Summersville. Wouldn't attempt it in a canoe!

I would sacrifice the large and heavy camp stove and go with a backpacking style single burner stove. Also, bring a tarp to put under your tent, but don't let the tarp sit outside the footprint of the tent itself. Add sunscreen too, in addition to bug spray.

Last edited:
You're on the right track.

I would replace the sleeping bags with sheets and blankets. Much easier to maintain the right temp that way. Also, I prefer self inflating camping mattresses to plain old air mattresses, but that is a personal preference.

A must is a sturdy tent. There are always storms at Oshkosh and cheap tents don't fare well. Nobody has fun when their stuff gets wet after the tent collapses or gets ripped apart by a storm.

If you have the capacity to haul it, a lightweight sun shade is nice so you can sit under shade during part of the long, long day.

Personally, I wouldn't bring the camp stove, unless you really want to cook your meals.

There is plenty of coffee available in the morning at HBP. Plenty of places to get food too. Yes, it's a little pricey, but I would rather pay a few bucks extra than mess with the stove and food storage.

List of those driving and willing to bring items with them?

I have never been to AV but do have experience backpacking. One thing about AV to consider is just like having a pack outfit pack your stuff in to a remote area, many people DRIVE to AV. Perhaps a list of people that are driving to AV and have room for items that those flying in can't fit could be developed. The guys flying in could order and have things delivered to those driving and they could pick up things at AV. After AV, either the guy driving gets to keep them or use them for the year until next years AV.

Just an idea.

If I read correctly - you have a -10 and just two people - then weight and space Are not big concerns. Bring what you want. Personally a small backpacking tent is fine with me but the wife likes to be able to stand up inside while changing. It does blow and rain so bring a decent tent.
Practice in the backyard 2 months before OSH.

so my camping supplies currently consists of:
1) a tent.
2)sleeping bags and probably a mattress of some type
I use a Zrest. They don't pop.

3)camp chairs for the air shows and chilin' out and maybe a folding table
Yep, bag chairs work, even if they aren't that comfortable.
4)propane camp stove for coffee in the morning and maybe a lantern
DO NOT bring a propane stove! I cannot stress that enough. I have done a lot of backpacking and have see the valve fail at sea level up to and above 14K feet. I can only imagine what would happen if one of those things let go inside your airplane. Get a white gas stove. My favorite is a Colman Peak 1 like this. Don't forget to pack kitchen matches and maybe a small Bic lighter (I bring both). Avoid the stoves that have a lot of parts (tank, hose, bottle, pump for the bottle, and burner). I have seen people drop the parts in the dirt and not get them cleaned out or simply leave a part at home.

5)and a cooler for cold beverages?.
6)bug spray
7)clothing adequate for all temperatures and conditions?..
?
Thank you.
8. Head lamp for each person
9. Depending on the facilities, you might need a small shovel. (You figure out what it is fore.)
10. Toilet Paper (see #9)
11. Trash bags
12. Ziploc bags
13. Ditty bag for clothes (and it doubles as a pillow)
14. Day pack
15. Water (or water filter)
16. Food
17. Multi tool
18. Tie downs
19. Rain gear
20. Ground cloth for under the tent

That's all I can think of right off the top of my head.

Good luck and have a fun trip!

Camping

I second the self inflating mattresses. Nothing is worse than a flat mattress in the middle of the night. Sweetie and I have camped for years on our Thermorests.
I use a canvas tarp under the tent but they're heavy. I also spray the outside foot or two of the tarp with bug spray before setting the tent. It helps keep creepy crawlys from coming in.
A set of tent stakes is good to secure the tent. Sheets and blankets would probably work better. It tends to be more hot and humid than cold. A single burner stove is ok but like other said, plenty of food and drink available. Maybe a small chest for water and beer when you're back at camp. Towels. I rarely use a lantern. A good flashlight works fine. Two chairs you can carry to the flight line or a blanket. I have a mesh backpack for wandering. I carry water, camera, etc., and stuff we buy.

Some nights I have found a battery powered fan a real help to get to sleep, it can be hot and sticky. Of course other times you need a jacket.

Ropes to use as a clothes line and to provide additional bracing for your tent (yes, there have been some "interesting" winds come through KOSH!).

Wet-proof sandals to wear to the shower trailers since their floors are always soaking wet.

Sunscreen and a big hat.

My father has the best advice for this kind of trip... Take less clothes and more money! :)

Our list includes:

What everybody else has said and -
"Packtowls" (a chamois like towel sold at outdoor stores, like REI, that takes some getting used to, but works really well, dries fast, and is ultra small/lightweight), the Thermarest self-inflating mattresses, hats with LED lights built-in (like the E-Mag ones that Brad gives out!)(they are great for night outings to wherever(!)), lip balm with SPF, hanging tote for shower, rain jacket or poncho, water bottles, snacks, trash bags. I like to take a cross-shoulder style pack to have both hands free when walking around all day. And plenty of ca$h makes things easy too!

Shipping

Lots of great ideas. Rocky has a good one if someone is willing to haul your stuff by roads.
Here's another we used to use when traveling by motorcycle.
Ship some of your stuff to a trustworthy person. We did it several times. Just ship it back to yourself when done. It costs a bit.

Don't forget a pillow. I usually do and end up with wadded up clothes for a pillow. Hate when that happens....

If you insist on a blow up mattress bring a patch kit for it. No need for cooking stuff at big fly-ins. Need soap and towel, one for you and one for the plane. Lasts longer with a squeegee first on the morning dew.

Last edited:
Here's what we took in our RV7 on our camping trip from Florida to Yellowstone a few years ago. Most items didn't weigh much. Some could be placed forward of the baggage area. We also sent items to the FBO.
After this trip, we learned we needed better air mattresses and purchased 2 thermarest. Best investment ever.

NannWithCampingGear.jpg

Last edited:
Apparently, I am alone needing sunscreen. I must spend too much time on the flight line glaring at polished aluminum. :eek:

Edit: My first look at you gear, Dan, and that thin ground cover would not work for this old man. 1" minimum but I have aged to the 2" level for comfort now. What is that in the leather holster?

Last edited:
One thing of note regarding self inflating mattresses. While they are very comfortable (by camping standards), I have had them pop while hiking in the back country. Thus my recommendation for the Z-rests. Bring two, or one and a 3/4 length self inflating mattress. That way, you will still have something to sleep on, should the air mattress pop.

The other nice thing about the Z-rest is they work great to lay on while working under the panel while doing maintenance.

Apparently, I am alone needing sunscreen. I must spend too much time on the flight line glaring at polished aluminum. :eek:

Edit: My first look at you gear, Dan, and that thin ground cover would not work for this old man. 1" minimum but I have aged to the 2" level for comfort now. What is that in the leather holster?
Sunscreen is always top on my list.
The thermarest did the trip on the next camping outing. We learned.
In the leather holster? Oh, that a canopy cracker. :rolleyes: The subsequent trips, we opted for a more polymer version. To lighter the baggage of course.

Last edited:
Earplugs to quiet the late-night music from under the yellow balloon. Cheap foam plugs work fine.

Clothespins for hanging your damp towel on the clothesline.

A hiking pole or something similar for staking out one end of your clothesline - tie the other to the plane or tent.

We like cooking once is a while to break up the "Health Food" so we bring a small white gas back packing stove. Takes no room and works great. Be sure to bring some kind of small metal stand/table for the stove as you should not be lighting it just on the grass.

Down sleeping bags are the best with a compression sack. Takes no room and they are light. It has made my wife enjoy camping no matter the temperature.

Thermo rest pads have been great too.

The bigger the tent the better.

The better the gear, the better the experience.

We really look forward to summer plane camping again this year.

Thoughts

Just to reinforce what several others have said (from someone who has spent the last 20+ years working in the outdoor industry):
-- a high quality tent that is seam sealed -- you are flying a $100K airplane, spend the $200-400 on a good tent! Cost goes up with size, but less than $150 or so, even for a small one, and it won't stand up to an mid-west thunderstorm.
-- ThermaRest or other self-inflating mattress with a patch kit. Punctures are rare, but do happen, but you'll never find a more comfortable way to sleep on the ground. The thicker the better -- the weight difference for 2-3" thick is negligible unless you are backpacking.
-- Down sleeping back and a sheet -- down is more comfortable over a wider range of temps than any synthetic insulation. Water resistant down is now available. That said, its usually pretty hot in July in WI, so a sheet could be enough. If you have the good tent, then your bag will stay dry
-- Some multi-fuel stoves will burn AvGas if you don't want to carry white gas or propane. That said, there is lead in 100LL, so up to you if you want to cook with it! Several great options on the market for single burner stoves.
-- LuminAID solar LED inflatable lantern -- just saw these recently at the Outdoor Retailer trade show. Great way to light up camp without a huge (and annoyingly bright) lantern, and will recharge during the day. Very innovative.

I've thought about setting up a side business to rent quality gear at Oshkosh -- not to make much but to improve others' experience. Any thoughts on if you'd prefer having someone else figure this stuff out and deliver it to your plane upon arrival?

I have yet to need bug juice at Oshkosh.

I've probably needed it twice out of a dozen visits. But when I needed it, I *really* needed it.

The time I took my Father, he specifically asked about it and I said "Never needed it before, so I think we can save 6 oz of weight and leave it behind."

We landed in the "window" between the airshow and dark that year and were immediately beset by a massive swarm of mosquitos. I told Dad "Wait inside the airplane" and I literally sprinted to the <now gone> camp store where the warbird area meets the GA camping area to buy bug juice before the store closed...

Back