What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sealant between rear window and roll bar needed?

Logan

Is there any need for sealant between the rear window and the roll bar?

I see the plans call for ProSeal between the window and the skins. Wondering if there is need on the roll bar, too. It looks like that seam is more protected and less likely to allow dripping water into the plane. And any sealant between the roll bar and window would be quite visible.

But, would hate to find out later that water gets in somehow and then have to work out a fix...

Thanks

I did notice an air gap between rear window and roll bar. Small but noticeable. I plan on using some grey silicone and put a very small bead to fill the gap after the window is mounted. Any air leaks makes noise in these planes.

Thanks, Craig. I am toying with the idea of sealing as well. I noticed the same gap. Trying to think of something easy and not too visible! Silicone after the install is a good idea.

On my old RV7 I had put a strip (targa top) on the front part that covered the gap between the two halves and it worked really great to keep any water out and I am thinking of doing the same on the new 14A that I am working on.

Back