What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tire Sizes 6 ply Vs 10 ply

Aussieflyer

The current RV14 tire from Vans is 5.00 - 5 (6 ply).

Can anyone tell me if a 5.00 - 5 (10 ply) tire will fit inside the current wheel pants? Or will one be forced to file the wheel pants open to accommodate the 10 ply tire?

I prefer the idea of a 10 ply tire as being more robust and less susceptible to puncturing.

I can't answer your question but consider this:

I tried a monster retread to replace one tire. I had to open up the wheel fairing hole a little but the tire itself is a little larger.

Going forward, if you do go with the thicker tire, there really isn't going to be a significant difference as long as it fits under the top of the fairing. Once you open that hole for the larger tire, the tire opening is just larger and as long as you use that size tire the gap won't be any worse than standard. My Monster retread did fit under the fairing fine, and now that I've opened up the bottom a little, I'm just going to continue to buy monster retreads from now on.

Did they give you specs on how much larger a 10-ply tire is?

Tim,

I can't find any specifications on tyre dimensions 6 ply versus 10 ply doing a google search, hence my question.

Alan

Tire specs probably are listed per the most plies at top of range and less plies at bottom of spec range as the catalogs show same size for different plies. Here is Goodyear spec (see page 4)
https://www.goodyearaviation.com/resources/pdf/tire_specifications_7_2016.pdf
I think if you stay with same brand, there should be little difference according to the catalogs. Only difference in rated load capability. Changing ply and changing brand maybe a big difference. I changed tire brands and had to modify my wheel pants as the tire shape was very different.

Back