What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Uavionix EchoUAT TransMon Threshold

Chippster1

I was out today making flights and still could not get the Baro Alt report right on the PAPR using the transmon. The last I spoke with Nick Cain he said it is better hard wire it directly from the transponder. What I need to know is is it simply a matter of one wire by RS 232 directly from the transponder to the UAT, or is there any other wires that need to be connected? The transponder is a Garmin 327 and the com port is set to remote.
Also I am dealing with a Navworks 600b for which I have made a custom harness. The 600b has 2 inputs seemingly for the transponder- one says altitude encoder input on pin 7 and the other is on pin 33 which says RX Data from Transponder configured for Remote Mode. Is there any need to use a suppression output on pin 35?
Would love to get some info
Thanks
Ted Chipps
498EC

I don't think a GTX 327 has an altitude out serial connection. Even in remote the data string in the GTX 327 doesn't include the altitude. I had to wire ALT directly from the Dynon to the Navworx ( when that was installed.) If you are now using an ECHO, ALT must be "sniffed " from the Xponder interrogation ( uAnionicx calls it transponder monitor in the set up )

Wasn't sure from you post if you were using a Navworx UAT or had changed to an ECHO UAT .

No Problem with "sniffing" the TXP

The uAvionix transponder monitoring function is working well in my setup (according to multiple FAA reports), so I choose not to do any hardwiring to my G327 --- and, the G327 does not send all of the required info on the hardwire, so sniffing is still necessary.

Ron

You will need a serial connection from the 327 for the sqwuak and a serial connection from the Dynon for alttitude (can be shared with the connection to the 327). If you will also be sending traffic/wx data back to the Dynon, you will have an issue with getting the baud rates set correctly (you need 112K for that data to be without significant latency). Uavionix makes a serial mux (no charge for new units shipped) to deal with that issue. No need to use sniffing with your equipment.

Larry

Last edited:
EchoUAT now hardwired to EFIS and Transponder

I called Ryan from Uavionix and he FED EXed a new harness which included rs-232 serial data on Com 1 from transponder/EFIS. As my NavWorx was the 600B, I had to solder the connections from the Uavionix (DB-9) to the proper pins on a DB-37 male connector( I made a custom harness adapter). Uavionix will give you the pin map for the NavWorx to their harness(DB9) Happy to report I now have a perfect PAPR with zero errors!!

Ted Chipps
RV-10
N498EC

Last edited:
uAvionix customer support

Ted, it is this kind of report that underscores the importance of good customer support. uAvionix has responded quickly to ALL customer issues I have been aware of since I started watching closely in October of last year. I just spent a few days working with Shane at the Aircraft Electronics Association convention. He impressed me with both his knowledge and willingness to explain, in detail, all the technical details of their developing product line. I have worked with smart people before... but they often don't suffer fools gladly. Being a fool myself, at times.... it is refreshing to see that someone has the personality and technical expertise combined... to make a top notch employee for a company.
Glad your report passed, now put some time on that engine and watch out for traffic at your altitude. (remember, pitch up or pitch down to avoid a collision... a turn will likely result in a very bad day)

Thanks Nick
All those good things you said about Uavionix also apply to you and the good folks down at Dallas Avionics.
Thanks again for all your help
Ted
N498EC

Back