VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

  #21  
Old 11-26-2019, 06:38 AM
Pittsartist Pittsartist is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylor View Post
Turn radius per G in level flight is purely dependent on speed and nothing else.

Skylor
Quite right........I did'nt really put over my point very well.

I suppose what I was trying to say was that the RV seems to induce less drag and "slips" less when pulling G in a turn. This is reflected in less loss of speed and the aircraft seeming to "hold" the turn radius better, purely subjective and only from my perspective as the pilot of the RV.
__________________
NOTHING is Foolproof .... To a sufficiently Talented Fool
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-26-2019, 10:21 AM
skylor's Avatar
skylor skylor is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsartist View Post
Quite right........I did'nt really put over my point very well.

I suppose what I was trying to say was that the RV seems to induce less drag and "slips" less when pulling G in a turn. This is reflected in less loss of speed and the aircraft seeming to "hold" the turn radius better, purely subjective and only from my perspective as the pilot of the RV.
If the RV "seems" to turn tighter, what you are probably seeing is a greater loss of speed in the RV. Remember, the low aspect ratio wings of the RV have a lot of induced drag at high angles of attack while the One Design with its thick tapered wing along with its lighter weight should tend to fare a little better in hard turns. At constant "G", the slower the speed the tighter the turn radius.

Skylor
Skylor

Last edited by skylor : 11-27-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-27-2019, 07:13 AM
RV8Squaz's Avatar
RV8Squaz RV8Squaz is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Senoia, Georgia
Posts: 725
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rph142 View Post
The original owner is selling his 1/4 share. I just bought into it this summer and will need at least a few years to scratch the itch. Youre right about the view straight down being better than the RV series. You sit well behind the trailing edge in the Extra.
Thank you very much Rob. I hope to see you at contest sometime!
__________________
Jerry Esquenazi
RV-8 N84JE
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-27-2019, 08:42 AM
sandifer sandifer is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylor View Post
If the RV "seems" to turn tighter, what you are probably seeing is a greater loss of speed in the RV. Remember, the low aspect ratio wings of the RV have a lot of induced drag at high angles of attack while the Extra with its thick tapered wing along with the bigger prop and more power tends to fare a little better in hard turns. At constant "G", the slower the speed the tighter the turn radius.
He was referring to the One Design rather than an Extra. The wing of a 1D is barely more efficient than a baseball bat.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-27-2019, 09:37 AM
skylor's Avatar
skylor skylor is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southern California
Posts: 723
Default Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandifer View Post
He was referring to the One Design rather than an Extra. The wing of a 1D is barely more efficient than a baseball bat.
Oops, my bad. So the One Design has a weight advantage over the-7 and the thick entry of it's wing should still work pretty well pulling G's even if it's lousy in cruise!

Skylor

Last edited by skylor : 11-27-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:15 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.