Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-26-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylor View Post
Turn radius per G in level flight is purely dependent on speed and nothing else.

Skylor
Quite right........I did'nt really put over my point very well.

I suppose what I was trying to say was that the RV seems to induce less drag and "slips" less when pulling G in a turn. This is reflected in less loss of speed and the aircraft seeming to "hold" the turn radius better, purely subjective and only from my perspective as the pilot of the RV.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsartist View Post
Quite right........I did'nt really put over my point very well.

I suppose what I was trying to say was that the RV seems to induce less drag and "slips" less when pulling G in a turn. This is reflected in less loss of speed and the aircraft seeming to "hold" the turn radius better, purely subjective and only from my perspective as the pilot of the RV.
If the RV "seems" to turn tighter, what you are probably seeing is a greater loss of speed in the RV. Remember, the low aspect ratio wings of the RV have a lot of induced drag at high angles of attack while the One Design with its thick tapered wing along with its lighter weight should tend to fare a little better in hard turns. At constant "G", the slower the speed the tighter the turn radius.

Skylor
Skylor

Last edited by skylor : 11-27-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rph142 View Post
The original owner is selling his 1/4 share. I just bought into it this summer and will need at least a few years to scratch the itch. Youre right about the view straight down being better than the RV series. You sit well behind the trailing edge in the Extra.
Thank you very much Rob. I hope to see you at contest sometime!
Old 11-27-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylor View Post
If the RV "seems" to turn tighter, what you are probably seeing is a greater loss of speed in the RV. Remember, the low aspect ratio wings of the RV have a lot of induced drag at high angles of attack while the Extra with its thick tapered wing along with the bigger prop and more power tends to fare a little better in hard turns. At constant "G", the slower the speed the tighter the turn radius.
He was referring to the One Design rather than an Extra. The wing of a 1D is barely more efficient than a baseball bat.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:37 AM

Default Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandifer View Post
He was referring to the One Design rather than an Extra. The wing of a 1D is barely more efficient than a baseball bat.
Oops, my bad. So the One Design has a weight advantage over the-7 and the thick entry of it's wing should still work pretty well pulling G's even if it's lousy in cruise!

Skylor

Last edited by skylor : 11-27-2019 at 09:40 AM.