What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel level senders

Hornet2008

Well Known Member
Hi All
I have the resistive senders in the tanks of my RV 9. The wings were stored for several years in the cradle in a vertical direction. Trying to do a fuel calibration on the Dynon T1000 Skyview and having no luck. I have 247ohms on the left empty tank and 88 ohms on the right empty tank. It appears the senders are stuck. I am sure I read of the forums somewhere that flying the airplane will free the senders. Can't find it now which doesn't surprise me. Any one have experience with this?

My wings were in storage for a couple years prior to mounting on the fuse and the sender were stuck as well. Before mounting on the fuse I put the wingtip on a cushioned sawhorse, grabbed the root of the wing and vigorously shook it up and down. That freed the stuck float and it moved easily again and gave the correct resistance measurements as I flipped it upright to upside-down.

You might try just reaching in the wing root gap and tapping the sender with a screwdriver handle. That worked pretty well for me to overcome stiction on one sender during calibration. Otherwise, just take it out.

Edit: Same suggestion with wings fitted unless there is less room than a 7.

Last edited:
Did you properly bend the end of the wire to the float so it couldn't rotate in the unit? I've seen more than one builder not notice this in the sender directions.

stuck fuel tank sender

They sometimes stick to the sealant a bit. With an empty tank you can remove the quick-drain plug and prod the sender free with a bent bit of wire.
Chuck Ross
rv4

Hi,
I have been flying my Rv 8 for two years, and fuel gauge never worked . I mesured resistance on left sender , and read 189 whatever fuel quantity.
I decided recently to remove one sender and look if it is stuck. The strange thing is booth senders are stuck...

I often notice mine stuck. If I don't see them move for a while I rock the wings aggressively. Sometimes I get a reading and sometimes I don't.

They sometimes stick to the sealant a bit. With an empty tank you can remove the quick-drain plug and prod the sender free with a bent bit of wire.
Chuck Ross
rv4

Be careful. On mine, the fuel pickup screen is right on top of the quick drain. You can't get to the float rod this way. I suspect many with standard hard pickup lines and screen are this way.

Back