What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

D Seb connector help

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
This photo is the back of a Becker radio, I cannot find a connector that will hook on those little arrowhead things. Where can I get a female connector like this?
iwj0bq.png
[/IMG]

Don't know, but it looks like you can take them off via those two screws and use a normal screw-retention D-sub connector.

Edit. Upon looking closer, i can't tell whether the arrow things are bent up from the case material or a separate piece that is screwed on, so that comment may be of no help after all...

This photo is the back of a Becker radio, I cannot find a connector that will hook on those little arrowhead things. Where can I get a female connector like this?
iwj0bq.png
[/IMG]

Replace those arrowhead tabs and screws with these:

DSUB-NUT-L-DSC01676.jpg

Then uses this:

SA-TS-THUMBSCREW-DSUB-CONNECTORS-L-DSC09600.jpg

I hate those 4-40 slotted screws. The thumbscrews work much better in my opinion.

These photos are from Stein Air, but you should be able to get these at any local computer store.

Actually, that looks like perhaps a much better solution than those g*d d*mned little screws (either the dinky little slotted ones, or the thumbscrews). I *HATE* those things...they're a pain to work, and I'm not entirely satisfied that they'll ever be secure against vibration working them loose. All in all, not a good solution as far as I am concerned.

Give that Becker sliding thingy a try...worst that can happen is it sucks, and then you can just de-pin the harness and try something else.

Report back on how it works!

Virtually anything is better than the screws; even the longer thumbscrews. The slide works well, and there's a 'bale' style of spring loops out there, also. Either should have zero risk of vibrating loose, which can happen with the screws, and either will be *much* easier to attach/detach.

In any case, you shouldn't need to depin a connector. All the attachment alternatives that I've encountered for Dsubs work with the same connector bodies.

I used safety wire to hold the d-sub connectors together in tight locations like the trip servo and lights. Works fine. You have to be careful to not twist them too tight. Im not flying yet but have a DAR on the schedule in a couple weeks so I guess I will find out then!

I used safety wire to hold the d-sub connectors together in tight locations like the trip servo and lights. Works fine. You have to be careful to not twist them too tight. Im not flying yet but have a DAR on the schedule in a couple weeks so I guess I will find out then!

I used zip-ties or lacing cord for free-hanging connectors. Same deal.

Wish I'd looked at different housings when I built the plane, I'd have ditched the screws for connections to radios and other boxes. Might still do that at some point in the future.

iwj0bq.png
[/IMG]

Those are called slide locks and it is confusing what backshell kit will fit which plug and what accessory kit you need to buy to get all them.

I found a supply for the "Becker slide lock" for only $9 here in the USA,
so problem solved. Thanks everyone for all the help!

Do it right. Get the Becker kit, or a suitable slide-lock backshell.

Last edited:
Don - for the sake of posterity and to help others who might be facing the same challenge, perhaps you could take a few moments to share the details of your source of supply?

Of course, here is a link to their website: www.wingsandwheels.com

QUOTE=Canadian_JOY;1212219]Don - for the sake of posterity and to help others who might be facing the same challenge, perhaps you could take a few moments to share the details of your source of supply?[/QUOTE]

Back