What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3A Fuselage tank Rebuild?

TeamFAS

My 1981 RV-3A has the original design sheet metal riveted and sloshed integral fuel tank. The skin of the airplane in front of the cockpit IS the wall of the fuel tank. The sealant and/or sloshing of the fuel tank are failing. The fuel is being contaminated with particulate and the tank leaks. The airplane has already been upgraded to a 3A so redoing the wings doesn't seem like the best option right now.

What I am looking for is:
1) An RV-3 welded fuel tank (the tank Van?s used to sell, new or used) or plans for the welded fuel tank or any information about someone that can manufacture the welded design fuselage fuel tank

2) Any plans that may exist for modifying an RV-3 with the original integral fuel tank design to the to the Van?s welded fuselage fuel tank design and/or

3) Suggestions for someone that can do the welded aluminum fuselage fuel tank upgrade to my RV-3A or implement another solution. I've asked Jay Pratt and Chuck Olmstead in TX, and neither seem to have availability this winter when I'd like the project done.

Thanks in advance for your help!

The original non-integral fuselage tank is on drawing 32 in the current plans on CD that Van's sells.

I've not heard of an integral fuselage tank. Although I simply could have missed that, wouldn't be the first time, it's also possible that yours is a one-off. In any event, if it uses the firewall as a tank wall, I'd definitely replace it. I think it is essential to have some space between the firewall and any fuel.

Good luck!

Dave
RV-3B, now skinning the fuselage

Fuse fuel tank

One point to note on the fuse full tank, make sure you use a flexible tank outlet as the tank moves enough under loading to create fatigue cracks. When I brought my 3A it had a bad crack around the tank outlet boss.
I have since used a flexible outlet.
PM me with you email address and I will send some pictures

Regards
Rob
RV3A G-BVDC

Thanks David. There is a separate wall between the firewall and the fuel tank.
Rob, I'll PM you! Thanks.

Back