What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dave Anders Flying SDS EFI

Wheel Pants

Certainly very impressive RV4 . Slightly off topic, which Wheel Pants are you running? Sam James or Vans?

Thanks

Tim

Very cool....but how much beer was Dave hauling?

Apples to apples, add a week's worth of clothes, camping gear, and my big butt too. ;)

All kidding aside, that's not a crazy guess. At very small fuel flows the EFI can produce great cylinder balance with the new on-the-fly trim, and with dual EI's to fire it, get very lean. An optimized constant flow (small restrictors, and tuned for the specific conditions) could probably get close, but certainly would not be as easy to tune.

Remember this?

Returning to Fig.2, that is 35X higher than the mechanical system's pressure at a 6 GPH economy cruise flow. At idle the difference is even greater. The injector open time can be tailored for a small flow quantity, but the pressurized spray remains consistent and well atomized. You can expect the EFi system to be smoother at idle and partial power.

And this?

That's a 540 with a Bendix RSA-10 and Slicks (in beige) and dual EI and EFI (in blue). On the dyno, the EI/EFI combination would pull much leaner without significant torque loss. Here, the difference was 1.5 GPH saved with minimal loss of power. BSFC went from .525 to .483. That's an EI/EFI win, and precisely the sort of thing Dave is now demonstrating live with his RV-4.

It's from Kitplanes. At the time I was handed a lot of grief because the peak HP numbers were not what EFii fans wanted to see. The knowledgeable guy who did not find fault was Ross.

Folks, this is what EI/EFI does really well.

Dave usually loads up full fuel at least for most of his testing but he likely was not as heavily loaded as you coming back from Osh.

I doubt if many RV8s outperform your machine. Dave Anders was mightily impressed by your GAMI spreads and especially CHT spreads. Your data made him run some more tests and I think he intends to tweak cooling a bit more to try to get where you are.

As far a data goes, I learned a long time ago that the dyno doesn't lie and often when we think some whizzy new mod or gear will outperform the old tried and true, it falls short. This is exactly why we have dynos- to separate out the chaff. No point in making excuses until you can produce better data.

From Dave today:

"I use Klaus Savier wheel pants from Lightspeed Engineering . I think they are a bit better than Vans’. They’re smaller and lighter. I also run Lamb tires. I have landed on grass strips with them but they’re small and probably harder on your landing gear with rough rwys. I use less ground clearance so less exposed tire as compared to Vans’ recommendation and I prefer asphalt rwys."

Dave Anders was mightily impressed by your GAMI spreads and especially CHT spreads. Your data made him run some more tests and I think he intends to tweak cooling a bit more to try to get where you are.

Dave is a legend, and if he thinks I'm doing something better, well....I'm speechless.

That GAMI spread was set back in 2011, just out of Phase 1. It was close as delivered, which may have something to do with the standard new cylinder port cleanup at Barrett. If true, that would match your theory about Lycomings and variation in airflow. Thing is, Dave gets his engines at Lycon, and I'm sure they too know how to match ports.

IIRC, there's one half-thousandth restrictor in there somewhere (0.028 to 0.0285, for example). It doesn't move around much. The previous photo was taken years ago and LOP, while the photo below was taken on the 30th of last month, in fast cruise at bit more than 100 ROP. You can imagine how it raised my eyebrows when #4 went off the reservation by 30 degrees or more on the way back from California. Turned out to be a cracked injector line.

Your cowl flap setup would likely give Dave a few more knots...

I talk to lots of folks about how they fly their planes- speeds, altitudes, power settings, hours per year etc. and just tell them the truth.

If they cruise ROP, usually around the same altitudes and power settings, the payback time for EFI could be decades if they already have a well functioning mechanical FI system on their engine. For people nearing a mag inspection or overhaul, the path to EI may be more clear and may make more sense financially in the relatively short term.

For people tired of hot start issues, uneven idling or big GAMI spreads due to intake design or those who fly high and low, ROP and LOP and at widely varied power settings, they've probably already made up their minds that they want EFI.

Many people simply want the latest technology, whether there are advantages/ disadvantages to it or not.

Last edited:
From Dave today:

"I use Klaus Savier wheel pants from Lightspeed Engineering . I think they are a bit better than Vans?. They?re smaller and lighter. I also run Lamb tires. I have landed on grass strips with them but they?re small and probably harder on your landing gear with rough rwys. I use less ground clearance so less exposed tire as compared to Vans? recommendation and I prefer asphalt rwys."

Thanks Ross. Ive picked up my 380*150*5 so I dont think they will fit my new tires. Looks like Vans or Sam James are my options.

Tim

Ross, can the EFI use an external electronic ignition tach source rather than its own pickup for rpm info?

Yes, in fact Dave here is running his SDS ECU off the Lightspeed tach signal. The Lightspeed II does not output a compatible tach signal but the III does.

For the EM-5 ECU, we can work with any voltage between 5 and 200 volts, 2 pulses per crank rev for fours and 3 per crank rev on sixes, having something close to a square wave.

We've had some interest in developing EFI for the M14P radial. Hopefully start on that project in Sept. when all of our Lycoming 6 cylinder developments are done.

Last edited:
We've had some interest in developing EFI for the M14P radial. Hopefully start on that project in Sept. when all of our Lycoming 6 cylinder developments are done.

Something about the idea of a radial with electronic injection gives me the giggles :D

You know what would be really cool? A new four-seat airplane (composite or metal) with looks inspired by the Spartan Executive and an EFI radial.

Yes, in fact Dave here is running his SDS ECU off the Lightspeed tach signal. The Lightspeed II does not output a compatible tach signal but the III does.

For the EM-5 ECU, we can work with any voltage between 5 and 200 volts, 2 pulses per crank rev for fours and 3 per crank rev on sixes, having something close to a square wave.

I'm interested in the possibility of developing one for the Rotec R-3600. It uses a 5 volt square wave at 4.5 pulses per rev.

Dave was up on some more test flights this week looking at AFR/FF/TAS.

"After looking at the numbers, I plotted the data in a more meaningful graph. I plotted the TAS and FF against the lambda instead of degrees rich or lean of peak which makes much better sense. The lambda curve was probably within about 1 point of 14.7 at peak so resolution may have been at max when I recorded 14.45 for my peak EGT point.

Also good data for mph TAS between 227 and 230 may have been hard to get as that would only be +/- 1.5 mph. I tend to think that 228 - 230 was the the speed for ROP to peak operation under those conditions. The FF tracks lambda nicely with resolution being +/- .05 gph because the indicator only displays in 0.1 gph changes. So I think the curve is very accurate."

anders2_zpskoqjztry.jpg

"This shows the relationship under the conditions of constant palt, rpm and MAP at 11,500? of lambda, FF and TAS. At 204 mph TAS I was getting 34 mpg at a lambda 17.75. Graphing this way illustrates a relatively straight line from near 100 degrees rich of peak to about 10 degrees ROP which corresponds to an almost linear change in FF over the same period. I would think that this means the injectors are working very precisely!
I haven?t had time to check for lambda drift between 1000? - 12000? at every 1000? interval but it will be interesting to see if it changes with pressure."

Smooth running at very low power settings

Another update from Dave tonight:

"I?ve been dialing in my rpm fuel values on repeated cruise runs at 20? MAP and testing maximum mpg at 18000?.
I can?t get to the altitude to run WOT at stoichiometric mixture because it?s above 18000?. I still get 16.1? MAP there. To run WOT at the maximum altitude that I could maintain best l/d, I?d be about 3000? higher and therefore about 10 mph faster TAS. At 18000? I get about 3.3 mph increase per 1000?. I have a dynamic pressure calculater that I put the variables into and at 18000? ambient + q would be 15.4?. Anyway, at around 21000? I?d get about 48 mpg I think. However, at 18000? I am getting 45.1 mpg at 167 mph TAS with a MAP of 12.9? at a 15.1 AFR while burning 3.7 GPH. The engine runs like a sewing machine, never misses a beat and will run smooth even leaner but mpg decreases as the speed falls below the best l/d speed. It?s amazing how much better the engine runs at low MAP and fuel flows then it ever did before (with mechanical injection)".

New Development

Dave recently tested an experimental barometric compensation circuit we developed in response to his observations at high altitudes.

"I tested the altitude compensator today and rechecked my AFRs. from 1700? to 17500?. The AFR drift was from an AFR of 12.2 at 1700? to 13.0 at 17500? with the mixture knob straight up in the zero position in gauge 2 mode at 1700? Paltitude. At 10200? the AFR was 12.4. I think those numbers are good for my plane because I could run WOT from take off to any altitude now. Then at 17500?, i went to the gauge 2 mode to see the mixture position indication and it was displaying +24 with the knob still straight up instead of zero. Tell Barry 'good job' and thank you for the work to continue to improve your product.

The EFI is so much better than having to futz with the mixture all the time for either max power or max efficiency, not to mention that you can tune each cylinder. just set the RPM FUEL map, put in the AFR value you want, and leave it alone.

I tried again to see what cruise would be at 17500? taken off my savvy analysis:

17500? 2230 rpm 16.3 map 181KTAS 5.5 gph at 15.1AFR that?s about 37.85 mpg at 208 mph TAS. This is a more reasonable cruise power setting for the way I fly my plane. I don?t think that?s bad mileage for an RV at 208 mph TAS."

From Dave's flight data, we'll be adding a baro sensor on-board and have a new programmer window to tweak the % in 0.1 increments.

This should make mixture control completely automatic as Dave said from SL to very high altitudes.

There are some other new features people should like, coming with the new V29 software release in October.

This should make mixture control completely automatic as Dave said from SL to very high altitudes.

Now we're talkin'! I do assume you mean "mixture stable", i.e. the ability to set a particular A/F ratio, and it stays there regardless of altitude change. Best power (ROP) or best economy (LOP) is still going to require pilot selection.

12.2 to 12.4 in 8500 feet is pretty darn good. The 12.2 to 13.0 shift in 15,800 very roughly compares to some data I got with an AFP FM200 last year, a shift of approximately 12.5 to 10.0 in 13,000 feet of altitude change, at WOT and mixture knob full rich.

Note the experimental system going leaner with altitude gain, rather than richer. I doubt it made any difference in Dave's CHT because power was also dropping off with altitude.

The EI I have from Robert Paisley is limited to 30 degrees advance.
Is that so with what is being discussed here?

Also, how is reliable A/F ratio indication being maintained. I had trouble with it burning 100LL.

Last edited:
Now we're talkin'! I do assume you mean "mixture stable", i.e. the ability to set a particular A/F ratio, and it stays there regardless of altitude change. Best power (ROP) or best economy (LOP) is still going to require pilot selection.

12.2 to 12.4 in 8500 feet is pretty darn good. The 12.2 to 13.0 shift in 15,800 very roughly compares to some data I got with an AFP FM200 last year, a shift of approximately 12.5 to 10.0 in 13,000 feet of altitude change, at WOT and mixture knob full rich.

Note the experimental system going leaner with altitude gain, rather than richer. I doubt it made any difference in Dave's CHT because power was also dropping off with altitude.

Correct, mixture stable. We are not at the point yet of "fully" automatic mixture control as in single level FADECs.

The pilot must still make the change mixture for LOP but even that is being simplified in V29 with the flip of the advance switch which can also lean the mixture a pre-set, programmable percentage.

Many of our customers who usually fly in fairly narrow altitude/ power setting spreads have noted that they usually lean close to the same knob percentage each time. Now you'll have the option of throwing the switch and timing advance/ leaning to LOP will happen simultaneously.

The over leaning response with altitude increase is due to reduced exhaust back pressure making the engine effectively pump more air. This turns out to be pretty significant at high altitudes.

The EI I have from Robert Paisley is limited to 30 degrees advance.
Is that so with what is being discussed here?

Also, how is reliable A/F ratio indication being maintained. I had trouble with it burning 100LL.

We're really discussing auto mixture control here with the EFI part but we're also integrating timing control with mixture strength for maximum efficiency.

We're finding the later Bosch 4.9 WB O2 sensors are lasting longer in a 100LL environment than the earlier 4.2 sensors. Not sure which one you might have. Some people are getting hundreds of hours of life to date. We're also getting some indications that lots of rich running shortens effective life. You shouldn't want or need to run richer than about 11.0 to 1 AFR.

Last edited:
The pilot must still make the change mixture for LOP but even that is being simplified in V29 with the flip of the advance switch which can also lean the mixture a pre-set, programmable percentage.

Many of our customers who usually fly in fairly narrow altitude/ power setting spreads have noted that they usually lean close to the same knob percentage each time. Now you'll have the option of throwing the switch and timing advance/ leaning to LOP will happen simultaneously.

The over leaning response with altitude increase is due to reduced exhaust back pressure making the engine effectively pump more air. This turns out to be pretty significant at high altitudes.

:eek:

This is what I was hoping for all along!

We like a challenge, like what we do and really want to have the best product at a reasonable price on the market. There's a lot of satisfaction in that.

I should have added that unlike the smartphone offerings, your new features have genuine utility.

You now have essentially a bolt on EFI with a "set and forget" programming map.

Thats huge.

I used an Innovate Motorsports "Bung Extender" and noticed increase O2 sensor life on 100LL. Not sure if it was from slightly cooler running or that it is backed out of the direct exhaust flow but it seemed to help.

I see them advertised from $60.00 to $90.00.

Just search on "Innovate Bung extender "to see photos.

Dave offered some more thoughts this morning on testing:

"I was just reading some of the posts. First, I like not being locked out of the EFI. There are conditions when i enjoy being able to adjust the AFR to my needs. I did some more checking and with my Plasma 3 Light Speed Engineering ignitions I can run up to about 43 degrees advance. Since the timing advance adjusts for rpm and map at 17500? and 2270 rpm and 16.3 MAP, I was running 36 degrees advance, of course not that high at the first of the climb.

I have the ability to individually change the timing on my instrument panel and find that it seems best for me to have about 1 1/2 degrees split between the ignitions, however they were both just in the normal mode for the last test.

With the baro compensator in the EFI, in the last climb to 17500?, I ran 2375 rpm and 24? MAP (as long as i could) and averaged 1350 ft/min all the way to altitude which took 13 minutes, so that was not a maximum performance climb. My egts started at 1300 and ended at 1240 degrees on average. The chts started at 350 and ended up at 362 degrees on average.

Since this climb was essentially at max power for the approximately 24 square climb, the temps were very stable. This was with an average 110 mph indicated.

I have 34? total inlet, which is about 10% larger they they need to be, and I have 27? of total outlet area (which excludes the area of the exhaust collector) with a kind of exhaust augmenter. I have data over the years that shows that the increased exhaust velocity from higher power settings causes a greater pressure differential between the upper and lower plenums and increases the mass flow across the heads and helps cooling. Maybe that?s why my temps are pretty stable.

I wish I had had the EFI during the CAFE Triathon competition. I could have no doubt done even better. That was all done with old tech."

Using PC Data Logging Feature

Dave has been trying to sort out an intermittent fault which appears to be related to a TPS issue. He's now using the EM-5 PC data logging option to look at what's happening during the flight. This option allows the user to look at, store and print ECU data to aid tuning and diagnostics.

Here's a screen shot from Dave:

daveandersDL1_zps8wpogujg.jpg

You can see a spike in the TPS reading (grey trace) and resulting changes in injector duty cycle (purple trace) and AFR (green trace).

We suspect an internal TPS problem. Dave is not using our standard throttle body and TPS that we supply with our kits. He sourced his own 65MM Ford TB and Ford TPS since it was felt that larger size might better support his increased power Lycon modded engine.

The data logging feature often allows us to quickly pinpoint customer tuning or running issues. The files are small and can be emailed to us for playback.

Last edited:
Dave has been trying to sort out an intermittent fault which appears to be related to a TPS issue. He's now using the EM-5 PC data logging option to look at what's happening during the flight. This option allows the user to look at, store and print ECU data to aid tuning and diagnostics.
<snip>
The data logging feature often allows us to quickly solve customer tuning or running issues. The files are small and can be emailed to us for playback.

Oh I had to look it up - it's YOUR data logger, excellent!!

Having an interface box makes that super easy - not another development project for a data logger.

Oh I had to look it up - it's YOUR data logger, excellent!!

Having an interface box makes that super easy - not another development project for a data logger.

We've had this out for almost 2 years now. The ECU communicates with the PC when queried and will spit out text files or a graphical format plus digital gauge screen for real time running (nice for dyno work). Data is stored in the PC.

log22_zpsam1guytl.jpg

Last edited:
He's running a 65mm throttle body and new pressure recovery ram intake design which is netting 1.5 inches more MAP than ambient and .6 better than his best previous design.

That is particularly impressive as dynamic pressure at standard sea-level and 230 mph is 1.8 inches. He's almost completely recovering with a 16% loss, WOW! Btw, at 10k altitude dynamic pressure at 230mph would drops to 1.3". So he could expect 1" of "boogy boost".

Based on Dave's feedback, we're now incorporating an internal barometric sensor in aviation spec ECUs to go along with V29 software.

For those interested, we can add the small daughter board and sensor to EM56 EM-5 ECUs when sent back for the mod and reflash.

BTW, the first of the 6 cylinder, dual ECU kits with fuel trim are now shipping.
There's new documentation on our Aircraft Page about these.

We do have quite a large order backlog these days which is slowing down filling new orders. We're adding some more contractors to help get lead times shortened up again. Hopefully by the end of November, things will be a bit better in that regard.

We don't expect any major software changes for a while now, need to concentrate on ramping up production rates now that the big R&D/ testing projects are out of the way for a while.

We've been working with Dave to solve a couple of running issues with his SDS installation.

He was having some acceleration anomalies sometimes on throttle opening. He used the PC data logging feature again to look at the AFRs to see what might be happening:

davedl2_zpsrjci5neo.jpg

After changing the TPS with no result, we suggested a change in the accel pump settings. Now all is good in that regard.

We're now working on a solution to fix rising EGTs at very low MAP when the throttle is pulled back at mid rpms. This may be due to the LS ignition retarding but we're investigating other possibilities with fuel mapping too.

Last edited:
We're now working on a solution to fix rising EGTs at very low MAP when the throttle is pulled back at mid rpms. This may be due to the LS ignition advancing a lot but we're investigating other possibilities with fuel mapping too.

Advance should lower EGT's, should it not?

Perhaps the effect of the prop driving the crank? Back in the day I had to jet a blue head Rotax a bit on the rich side to keep the EGT's from spiking past limits on downlines.

https://youtu.be/h8cWKi4Ir6E

Advance should lower EGT's, should it not?

Perhaps the effect of the prop driving the crank? Back in the day I had to jet a blue head Rotax a bit on the rich side to keep the EGT's from spiking past limits on downlines.

https://youtu.be/h8cWKi4Ir6E

Yes, I would expect more advance to lower EGTs. I meant to say retard as this is something we don't see much of though with our integrated ignition/EFI so we're looking at other possibilities. Not sure if reported timing on the LS is accurate for sure, could have retard possibly.

I've looked at Dave's fuel values at low MAP and they follow what we use and recommend with other Lycoming setups. AFRs are relatively lean. If that's the cause, we can just increase the MAP values in the problem range slightly. Ported heads and cam changes may be putting "normal" values outside what's required here and I think this more likely.

Popping on Closed Throttle Descent

Dave was experiencing popping out the exhaust when he pulled the throttle way back in the pattern. While this is not uncommon with some carb and mechanical FI setups, he found it annoying and wanted to solve the issue with his EFI.

We discussed setting a fuel cut through the programmer first with throttle position. Dave then decided to try a MAP fuel cut instead:

"I reprogrammed the map windows as follows:
1.12 100
1.59 0
2.06 0
2.53 0
3.00 5
3.47 15

This solved the popping.

The minimum duty cycle i was getting, before i changed the map, when the throttle was totally off, was 3%. I think that was just too lean to burn and then the unburned mixture would accumulate in the pipes and after a few revolutions it would pop.

I tried to make it pop today by shutting the throttle off in flight and then slowly applying the throttle. There was no hesitation when the engine started running again and no popping. Now if there is a MAP sensor failure it should still work off the lowest value window set at 100. By setting the MAP values at ?0? below the manifold pressure the engine would ever see in normal operation, it stopped popping. I forgot to check for high EGTs, so i?ll check that soon.

Everything is working GREAT!"

Dave is retrofitting our top mount injectors to test the running and performance differences compared to his earlier induction tube mounted injectors.

Although we've fitted these on a couple different angle valve engines with no issues, Dave found the lower ring was contacting the head casting on his engine before the adapter was tight.

daveavboss_zpsrz62p69x.jpg

It seems the castings may vary a bit on the angle valve engines so it's something to watch out for. We may try to make a modification to the rings for more clearance. We don't expect to see issues on parallel valve engines as there is much more clearance on these engines. Should prove interesting.

We'll be waiting for Dave's reports once he gets everything installed and tuned. This will be a back to back comparison on the same engine.

Ross,

Are y'all selling that injector adapter separately, to us DIY'rs? Couldn't find them on your web site, last time I looked. They should fit a 320 without issue, right?

Charlie

Ross,

Are y'all selling that injector adapter separately, to us DIY'rs? Couldn't find them on your web site, last time I looked. They should fit a 320 without issue, right?

Charlie

Sorry, we don't. Have to reserve production for our complete kits. We do sell the weld in ones separately.

Dave Ander's article on his record setting RV4 is out now in the March issue of Kitplanes. Interesting read.

Dave is coming along with his top injector installation and hopes to be testing next week.

daveinj1_zpsgihzvwlu.jpg

Uber clean job installing the wiring and hard lines.

Dave did have to cut some small reliefs into the heads to clear the bosses on his engine BTW.

Ross, thanks for that top picture. That answers my a nagging question on how to direct airflow into the cylinders. I have been stalled on that area between the cylinders.

WOOO HOOOO! A solution found!! (copied)

Another question. It appears Dave has directed his oil cooler air downward, but it seems to dump behind his exit fence, is that correct? Or is there something we don't see?

It appears Dave has directed his oil cooler air downward, but it seems to dump behind his exit fence, is that correct? Or is there something we don't see?

There's a photo on page 2 of this thread which shows his oil cooler duct.

Ross, thanks for that top picture. That answers my a nagging question on how to direct airflow into the cylinders. I have been stalled on that area between the cylinders.

Interesting. Dave is extending silicone wrap well past the 9 and 3 positions on some cylinders. The red wraps on the head fins between 1/3 and 2/4 probably do not extend down into the gap, as passage area is shared there. Inboard, I wonder if there is any wrap on the steel fins, under the baffle plates?

Bill, check the top view profile of the inlet floors.

Another question. It appears Dave has directed his oil cooler air downward, but it seems to dump behind his exit fence, is that correct? Or is there something we don't see?

Drop a note. I'll bet he would send a photo if you ask.

Ross, I have seen this picture, but it looks like the oil cooler air discharge is behind/below the exit guide fence. Following Daves work over the years I don't challenge the results, just wanted to make sure I was interpreting the photo correctly. If so, it does not make much difference undercowl to do it that way. I wanted to get my cooler discharge off of the half-raven catch tank and directed downward, but was puzzled as to how to get it directed back in the exit stream, if that was even a factor.

PS - DanH directs his cooler discharge air to the exit, but that is due to his higher lower cowl pressure with the cowl flap.

Last edited:
Dave has his new injectors installed but will be not be able to fly for some time as the weather has clamped in for a while.

In the meantime, he sent some more photos of his cowling ducting arrangement. His usual, very nice work:

dave24_zpsrqp5uf4x.jpg

dave25_zpsc3d539ar.jpg

The March 2017 issue of Kitplanes features an outstanding article by Dave Andrers, "Putting the Experiment in Experimental".

A portion of the article is dedicated to his use of the SDS EFI and Light Speed Plasma EI on his RV-4. Articles like this help me better understand the advantages of these more sophisticated systems and how they improve performance and economy.

It would be interesting to hear more about his electrical system. I don't see an alternator in any of the photographs. Maybe there's one on the back of the engine accessory case.

Back to spectating and learning.

The March 2017 issue of Kitplanes features an outstanding article by Dave Andrers, "Putting the Experiment in Experimental".

A portion of the article is dedicated to his use of the SDS EFI and Light Speed Plasma EI on his RV-4. Articles like this help me better understand the advantages of these more sophisticated systems and how they improve performance and economy.

It would be interesting to hear more about his electrical system. I don't see an alternator in any of the photographs. Maybe there's one on the back of the engine accessory case.

Back to spectating and learning.

You'll be seeing more detail on Dave's work in KP in the coming year as well....but this weather (that Ross mentioned) has to clear up across the Sierra so I can make the 30 minute flight to go shoot some pictures!

In the meantime, he sent some more photos of his cowling ducting arrangement. His usual, very nice work:

Thanks, Ross, that makes perfect sense now for that oil cooler effluent integration.

Last edited:
Running New Injectors

Dave has started testing with the new top mount injectors. Here is his update:

"...I?ve had enough good weather to start dialing in the RPMFUEL values. It started and idled just as before. It seems to start perhaps a little easier if that?s possible...about 1-11/2 blades, so maybe 1/2 a blade sooner. Sometimes it starts before a full blade. It idles even slower. It will continue to run at 300 rpm where it shakes a lot because of the interaction of each cylinder firing and the weight of the constant speed prop. It runs very smooth at 600+/- rpm.

The guys on my taxiway came out and couldn't believe how smooth it sounds, and the guy across the rwy who was watching called and asked if i had put a muffler on it, it was so quiet and smooth.

When my ECU was updated, the MAP indication now is within 0.2? or less at times then the Dynon and exactly the same as Plasma III at times, otherwise within 0.1?. Thank you.

I?m getting closer to a good RPM FUEL map . I did get cruise temps for the #1 & #3 cylinders. At 20? and 2300 rpm and OAT of 59 F the injectors were 71 & 84 degrees F respectively. I will get climb and after shut down temps in the future. My fuel pressure runs the following under these conditions: STATIC is 42 psi.

RPM 600 2800
FUEL PRES 30.5 42.5
MAP 5.7? 29.40?

The duty cycle appears to be about 74% at WOT.
My fuel flow numbers seem be way off. Is there a different Dynon value for these injectors? (yes- Ross)

When I have it dialed in, I?ll do some comparisons for fuel economy and max speed."

Dave has been able to do only a little testing lately due to the poor weather around his base but here's an update from yesterday.

"We have a few good days before they say we get more rain.
Testing is going great. I should have some good info in a few days. I downloaded version 5.5 and did a run up to get the maps data. It worked great."

andersdl1_zpsjaa1y4ce.jpg

Here's a screenshot of the PC data logging program showing Dave's current values as he's working on them.

... "I haven?t had time to analyze today's flight but I?m certain the MAP values from about 13.3 down are way too rich which was evident from gauge 3 mode during idling around and during run up... The zeros in the MAP table have eliminated the popping and everything else is working great...

It starts literally before the end of the first blade at times. No hard starts anymore. It just fires up and idles. What a great system. So far I see no reason for anyone to have to use the induction tube position. Should have some max climb, max speed and economy numbers soon if the weather holds."

Back