What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Attaching cht egt wires to oil return lines

sblack

Well Known Member
I am building an rv4 with an O320 and I have egt and cht senders on all cylinders. I am trying to bring order to the chaos and I have wrapped the sender wires into a nice bundle. Now I need to attach the bundle to something. I am sure this has been done 100s of times so I am wondering what the accepted practise is for tying off a bundle running under the cylinders. Is it ok to tie them off to the oil return lines with lacing or tie wraps with some protection? Or adel clamps?

Also, what is the best way to attach the bundle to the engine mount? Tie wraps again? Any advice or directions to a site with pictures would be great.

Awesome resource! I've been trying to figure out how to secure wiring for . while now.

Thanks!
Russ

my personal preference is for no tie wraps anywhere in the aircraft except to coil extra wire bundles that may be used later. I NEVER use them firewall forward. they get brittle and crack and also get abrasive on the parts they are mounted on. I use adel clamps for all wire bundles firewall forward.

I also never mount anything to the oil drain back lines. anything run under the cylinders is mounted on a pan bolt with adel clamps.

bob burns

my personal preference is for no tie wraps anywhere in the aircraft except to coil extra wire bundles that may be used later. I NEVER use them firewall forward. they get brittle and crack and also get abrasive on the parts they are mounted on. I use adel clamps for all wire bundles firewall forward.

I also never mount anything to the oil drain back lines. anything run under the cylinders is mounted on a pan bolt with adel clamps.

bob burns

What is a good way to attach a wire bundle to an engine mount tube other than using double adel clamps?

I'm not quite so draconian about tie-wraps in the engine compartment as some. Many certified aircraft use them - they just need to be used properly. Anti-chafe materials such as fuel line, rubber tape, or self-fusing silicone tape should be used between tie-wraps and anything that might chafe. Oh yes - use high quality tie-wraps intended for hi temperature use. I have seen tie Wraps that had to be twenty years old, still holding, still in service.

For the ultimate in beauty and security, Adel clamps sure are nice - but with modern all-cylinder EGT and CHT probes, we just have a lot of wires that need to be secured, and tie wraps can help do that. BTW, it is not uncommon for lower baffle ties to chafe on oil return lines - a piece of slit fuel hose can protect the tubing nicely, and then you can use that for tiring wires if needed.

Back