- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Virtual Hangar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2007, 02:41 AM

Default RV-6 N198G Jordan and Holly Grant

Finally got some pictures with the wheelpants/fairings painted, so I have one that's worthy of the Virtual Hangar.

Last edited by JordanGrant : 08-04-2007 at 02:52 AM.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:00 AM

Default Data Dump

RV-6, Standard Kit
Started: Sep 1998
Finished: Jan 2006
Build Time: 7+ years, about 2500 hours
Superior XP-360, built by Aerosport Power
Lightspeed Plasma II+
Airflow Performance FI
B&C SD-8 (no vacuum pump!)
Vetterman Crossover Exhaust
Hartzell Blended Airfoil Constant Speed Prop
Dynon D10A (upgraded from original D10), with remote compass and OAT
ACS2003 Engine Monitor (I think modern version is called AFS2500)
Apollo/Garmin GX-60 GPS/COMM
Narco Txponder
AnywhereMap w/XM weather on a Dell PDA
Sony CD-Player
Classic Aero Leather Seats
Lightspeed 20XL Headsets
Painters: Holly and Jordan Grant, in our backyard shop
Paint: Sherwin Williams JetGlo Snow White and Flight Red. Black Acryglo trim.
3 coats of color + 3 coats of clear all over.
Paint scheme was shamelessly copied from Brent Onstott's beautiful RV-6.

Last edited by JordanGrant : 08-08-2007 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Credit to Brent for paint scheme
Old 08-04-2007, 03:08 AM

Smile Favorite Picture, Leadville, CO

Old 08-04-2007, 03:17 AM

Smile My wife and my Grandma

These are pictures of my wife (Holly) taking my 83-year-old grandmother (Barbara) for a ride. Gramma soloed a Piper Cub in the early 40's and served in a Flight Service Station during WWII. She has one "save" on her record for helping a B-17 crew that was lost one night in southern Idaho. She's a magnificent lady and she had a ball flying around with my wife (also a magnificent lady).

Old 08-04-2007, 05:14 AM

Default Stunning

Congratulations Jordan,
The best of both worlds.......an RV 6 and a pilot/friend/lover wife!!

Kind regards,
Pierre
Air Tractor AT 502B PT 6-15 Sold
Air Tractor 402 PT-6-20 Sold
EAA Flight Advisor/CFI/Tech Counselor
Louisville, Ga

It's never skill or craftsmanship that completes airplanes, it's the will to do so,
Patrick Kenny, EAA 275132

Dues gladly paid!
Old 04-20-2008, 08:25 PM

Default Hello

Hello Jordan and Holly,

You certainly have a beautiful RV-6! I had the pleasure to meet Holly about 6 months (?) ago at a small airport near Columbus where she was giving a ride to a local enthusiast. Holly will remember me as flying a scroungy looking white/yellow RV-6. (I bought it that way, and it is a work in progress)
If you guys ever bring your RV to the west coast, my wife and I would be happy host to a guided tour of Northern CA.
PS. I fly for World Airways and have spent alot of time at Osan. Nothing like the fragrance of kimchi on a summer afternoon!
RV-6 N506MM VAF #1410
2017 Donation Made

Last edited by brianwallis : 04-20-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:45 PM

Default New Home for N198G (and its owners)

The Grants' Virtual Hangar has not been very active in a while. My wife has been flying some, but I've been in Guam for the past 3 months or so. That, of course, was about 2 months after returning from Korea, and moving to Idaho, etc. Not a lot of opportunity for flying. In the meantime, though, my wife and I are building The House in Idaho. We bought some property on an airpark and we're building our house with a hangar built-in for our RV-6. I'm sure there are a few others out there that are thinking about living on an airpark, so I thought I'd post a link to our construction pictures. Maybe some of our stuff will help give you ideas for your own house.

Old 09-25-2008, 02:16 PM

Default Would like additional information re Idaho airpark

Sent you a pm. We're considering an Idaho move
Old 09-25-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanGrant View Post
The Grants' Virtual Hangar has not been very active in a while. My wife has been flying some, but I've been in Guam for the past 3 months or so. That, of course, was about 2 months after returning from Korea, and moving to Idaho, etc. Not a lot of opportunity for flying. In the meantime, though, my wife and I are building The House in Idaho. We bought some property on an airpark and we're building our house with a hangar built-in for our RV-6. I'm sure there are a few others out there that are thinking about living on an airpark, so I thought I'd post a link to our construction pictures. Maybe some of our stuff will help give you ideas for your own house.

Congrats, Jordan. Where at in Idaho? Looks like it must be Southern Idaho somewhere, but I'm always curious where the good airparks are for retirement someday!

Donation reminder: Jan. 2020
Old 09-25-2008, 09:55 PM

Smile Idaho Airpark Info

I had a couple of questions about our airpark, so here is some additional info. We bought a lot on Red Baron Estates airpark, which is located about 20 miles east of Boise. It's about a 20 minute drive down I-84 to get downtown - very easy. If you look at the Google map on the Picasa pictures (i.e. click on the picture of our house), there is an icon showing exactly where the airpark is.

Red Baron is a very new development. We have a nice asphalt-paved runway and there are about 30 lots on the field. All the lots are at least 1.5 acres, with a few that are 4+ acres. Right now, there are only 5 houses (including mine) that are completed on the development. Two of them are unoccupied spec houses that were built about a year and a half ago. Most of the rest of the lots are for still for sale - expect to pay about $100K for one. There is only 1 airplane actually flying off the runway right now, and he uses a hangar that was on the field before it was converted to an airpark. The other homes do not have hangars, yet - ours will be the first one that is full-up. For anyone that is interested, you can call the developer, Ken Casper, at 208-794-7077 for details. He plans to have a website up sometime in the near future, but I don't think its up yet.

There are only 2 other airparks in the vicinity of Boise. "Sunrise" has been around for decades, is pretty small, and has long since been fully developed. The other one is located another 15 minutes or so farther from Boise. They have 10 acre lots and is more appropriate if you want to have more room for horses or similar things.

Cost of building here in Idaho (as anywhere) can vary a lot with what you're trying to do. Our home is going to be about 3000 sq ft of living space, plus about 3000 sq ft of garage and hangar. We expect to spend about 350K on building costs - so that comes out to somewhere around $120/sq ft. But don't forget, that includes an enormous amount of unfinished space, as well.

If you would like to know anything else about Red Baron or building here, I'm happy to share. When our house is done, we will be adding it to the RV Hotel listing and we'd be happy to have anyone over - especially if you're interested in building at Red Baron. I think we'll probably have room for another 2-seat RV in our hangar, as well, if you visit.

Cheers,