VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-19-2019, 07:19 PM

Default Newby question on plans

I finally decided after going through so many kit planes that an rv 7 is in my future. I really want the build experience. I shied away from rvs for years because of pride and wanting to be different. (There are so many of yall out there.) Ive traveled the road less traveled enough times now in my life to know why its the road less traveled. The rv is superior to all other kit planes on the market.

Anyways, Ive been emailing back and forth with the people at vans and I do t quite understand the concept of preview plans. I know what regular plans are, but what are preview plans? I am close to being ready to buy the empennage kit, and am not sure if I need plans, or preview plans or what to go with it. Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks yall.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:46 PM

Preview plans are an entire set of the plans on 11x17 paper and the builders manual on 8.5x11. You can also get this on CD. You need to purchase the preview plans. Then, when you order the kit(s) each kit comes with a full size set of plans (24 x 36 (or so)) and the build manual for that section. The preview plans are nice to have because they are much smaller and allow you to read forward into the build before buying every kit.
RV-9A #92103 - N803DK
G3X, Superior XO-320, Dual Pmags, Catto 3B
www.mykitlog.com/dbro172/

1974 Bellanca Super Viking - N16AW - Flying
RV-8 #83565 - N184DK - building
1968 Mooney M20C - N6801N - Sold
1956 C-182 - N744W - Sold
Old 09-19-2019, 07:58 PM

I think the intent of the preview plans is to give potential builders an opportunity to see what they are getting into. It's a good chance to see what is involved in building a plane.

Once you start building it's sometimes nice to have the full set of plans so you can look ahead to future kits since the plans for a particular kit are provided with the kit as Derek mentioned.

I have a couple copies of the preview plans that I use for reference when I'm not at my hangar where the larger format drawings are located. I like the USB stick version which I reference all the time.
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
Shop Setup - In Progress (Gathering Tools, Never Complete)
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 09-19-2019, 08:06 PM

Buying the preview plans in paper form was the biggest waste of money! Seriously, it makes me mad every time I see them laying deep within the pile of stuff on my coffee table. I have LITERALLY never looked at them since the day I got them. Get the flash drive with the plans instead. The plans in PDF form I find way more useful.
Wings mostly done
Fuselage almost done
Finish kit arrived
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 09-19-2019, 09:20 PM

Default Suit yourself

I bought an older second hand kit. The plans that came with the fold out kind in a three ring binder. I dont use them. I use the preview plans I bought. Just the right size for me. I did also buy the usb drive plans and have looked at them, but I like the size of the preview plans. So, suit yourself.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:45 PM

Default preview, build, USB stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Smith View Post
I bought an older second hand kit. The plans that came with the fold out kind in a three ring binder. I dont use them. I use the preview plans I bought. Just the right size for me. I did also buy the usb drive plans and have looked at them, but I like the size of the preview plans. So, suit yourself.
To me preview plans = fold out in three-ring binder = B size 11 x 17".
Build plans are D size 22 x 34".
USB stick is great to have for reference when out of the shop.
Newport News, Va
Old 09-19-2019, 10:54 PM

You are required to purchase the preview plans in order to receive a serial number and purchase a kit. Period.

As Derek said above, when you receive a kit you only receive full size plan sheets that go with that kit.

Whether you prefer a big binder with paper or a PDF file that requires an electronic device to read is up to you. Both have their pros and cons. Personally, I use both.

Good luck!
RV-4 Plans only S/N 2938
Cessna 152
Elk Grove, CA
VAF #744 Exempt but paid in Feb anyway

Last edited by arffguy : 09-19-2019 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Added words
Old 09-20-2019, 08:13 AM

I got the preview plans on USB for the RV-10 prior to getting going, just to see what I was getting into. I've looked ahead countless times, as I'm finishing up the tail kit, to have context and understanding.

Also, in PDF form, I've found several times, that I can zoom way in, and get better clarity if I'm not sure what tab may lay over or under what part a few times.

Was well worth the $10 spent.

-Lance
Old 09-20-2019, 08:26 AM

Actually, there are no preview plans for the RV-10 and later models, the plans on USB are the same as the build plans. All are 11x17 pages with directions and drawings integrated.

Earlier models (The RV-9 and earlier) have a completely different concept for how the plans are done. For those, the plans consist of 8.5x11 pages with directions and drawings are on 24x36 sheets. Preview plans for the earlier models are drawings on 11x17 pages.
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 09-20-2019, 12:40 PM

Possibly more valuable back in the day before Internet when people like me were wondering just what these "RV kits" airplanes consisted of and just how well engineered they were.

Houston