VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-08-2019, 05:47 PM

Default It's My Party and I Can ...

...fly if I want to! OK, well maybe it is really, "It's my birthday and I can..."

I started a new job a couple months ago [huge blessing], and there was supposed to be a week off between gigs for Scott and I to head out on an adventure. Due to circumstances, that week of entertainment disappeared faster than a snowball in Texas in July.

So what is one to do when the birthday rolls around? We head west to join the bigger RV family birthday, of course! I'm sure it will be epic, as any adventure should be. It starts Wednesday around lunchtime as we make a couple of afternoon legs for an overnight in Deming, NM.

We are used to Tex-Mex in central Texas and are looking forward to starting the adventure with a New Mexico flavor. Any local dining insights out there from our VAF family? We could also use some suggestions for a brunch stop in Phoenix.

The ultimate goal:

Old 09-08-2019, 06:25 PM

Hey I've bicycled across that bridge!
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet"
Hobbs 580
also LS-6-15/18 sailplane
VAF donation Jan 2019
Old 09-08-2019, 08:08 PM

Happy birthday.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 09-08-2019, 10:46 PM

Well Happy Bday!

Get in touch with RV7Guy for lunch in Phoenix. Just my take as a tourist trying to devour the local fare.....

Iíve enjoyed Espoís A couple times and itís close to P19:
https://www.espos.co

If you can squeeze into Sky Habor Carolinaís is just a short curteousy car drive away:
http://www.carolinasmex.com

Chandlerís airport restaurant was decent:
http://www.swaviator.com/html/issueND05/burgerND05.html

Itís hard to beat the view, cooler temps, fuel prices and easy in/out at KPAN and the Pie selection at the Crosswinds restaurant.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:41 AM

Default Sedona?

Tanya,

If we were flying from Deming to Vegas area we would stop at Sedona. Good food and MUCH more scenic. I think you and Scott would really enjoy the airport loop around the top of the peak where the airport is.

Agree with Andy that the cafť in Chandler is decent standard fare airport food.

Regards,

N174RT (RV-7A) first flight 5/31/11, 1585hrs as of June 2018:
Tip-up, Lycon IO-360 EXP, WW 74HRT, AFS 5600T, AF-Pilot, IFD440, SL-30, echoUAT, D100 for backup, CQ1 headsets

Our other riveted aluminum monocoque RV is a 25í Airstream

Past aluminum monocoque vehicles:
N601RT (CH601HDS) First flight 5/03, 1550hrs after flying 8 years: 912ULS, GNS430W, SL-30, D10A Sold
1995 Midnight Pearl NSX w/BBSC Sold

EAA Chapter 105 board member 2010->2015
Old 09-09-2019, 11:59 AM

Default Brunch

Brunch at Payson, AZ. Good prices self serve. Good food. View of the runway from the cafe. and COOLER than PHX. 5000 ft. elevation.

Work bio: Avionics tech support; ATP rated in planes and Helicopter Instructor law enforcement tactical radio systems. Blessed to fly my RV9A to work every week.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Thoma View Post
Tanya,

If we were flying from Deming to Vegas area we would stop at Sedona. Good food and MUCH more scenic. I think you and Scott would really enjoy the airport loop around the top of the peak where the airport is.

Agree with Andy that the cafť in Chandler is decent standard fare airport food.

Regards,
I've gotta second the Sedona suggestion. The approach is magnificent and the food is great! Make sure you ask for the 10-percent pilot discount.
Tail number N427DK
Donation made for 2019
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 09-09-2019, 08:32 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Payton and Sedona sound interesting. Food on the field is very appealing, as is cooler temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabandy View Post
Itís hard to beat the view, cooler temps, fuel prices and easy in/out at KPAN and the Pie selection at the Crosswinds restaurant.
PIE? Did someone say Pie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsmith View Post
Hey I've bicycled across that bridge!
Wow, you are braver than I am. That bridge is impressive even from the air!
Old 09-10-2019, 06:34 AM

Default Black Hills Fly -In

Clint Is having his Black Hills Fly In Sep 12-15. KHSR. Hot Springs, SD
Tobin is coming. Iím leaving in the morning Wednesday Sept 11.
Iím staying with Vettermanís . Some camp, some hotel it .
Jay Pratt VAF #2
RV Central - Builder Assistance
Paul Revere, Borrowed Horse, & Shooter
Old 09-10-2019, 07:53 AM

If Deming is your efficient stop they have a courtesy car (beat up van). They will give you the gate access code in case you need to leave super early in the morning. There is a Holiday Inn Express and other standard offerings.

For Mexican food then Benji's or Irma's are your best bet. Don't judge either by their exterior. They are good. Remeber that you will be in one of the most prolific Hatch Chile growing areas. Hatch, NM about 45 miles away, doesn't grow as much Chile as the Uvas Valley or Deming and Hatch Chile is a marketing campaign more than the town itself. Now, if you are feeling adventurous then the Adobe Deli steakhouse is a unique experience out in the boonies East of the Florida Mountains. 20 minute ride from the airport in the beater van. Middle of nowhere but great food. Steakhouse with a Southwestern flair and very casual and rustic. Were you flying a Super Cub or Husky you could land on a caliche road nearby but not recommended for an RV.

If your lodging doesn't include a Continental breakfast you can eat at the Grande Hotel Cafe (Deming local favorite) or IHOP. Or take off early and stop into Payson for breakfast.

If you decide to land 20 minutes earlier you could stop in Las Cruces which has more aminities in town and dine in Old Mesilla at likes of La Posta or the Double Eagle. Keep in mind Deming is municipal run (with good help) and Las Cruces has Francis Aviation FBO (nice) so check with both for crew cars, operating hours for fuel etc...

As for the next stop I agree it's hard to beat either Payson on the Mugollon Rim or "The SS Sedona" plateau aircraft carrier.

Jim