What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Opinions / Ideas on what I am forgetting before closing up the wings

Surfdoc

Just about ready to get the wings all buttoned up. Heated Pito, autopilot roll servo and lighting plus a few extra wires. Prior to skinning the bottom what am I forgetting? How many of you left the bottom skins until near the end of the build?

Put mine on

I put my skins on as soon as I was done with wiring. I didnt want those pieces laying around the shop getting damaged. I did not see any reason to leave them off. Also, I figured my riveting would be rusty by the time I needed to install them, and that is the toughest riveting on the plane, so I did it while I had peak skills, I figured. JMHO

I left my bottom skins off the wings for a while and later it became apparent that there really wasn't any reason to not have them on.

Have you addressed the service bulletin on the inner aileron attachment to the rear spar?

AOA

Maybe extra tubing for Angle of Attack if you ever decide to install?

Just about ready to get the wings all buttoned up. Heated Pito, autopilot roll servo and lighting plus a few extra wires. Prior to skinning the bottom what am I forgetting? How many of you left the bottom skins until near the end of the build?

I'm sort of in the same predicament. Pretty much ready to close up the right wing.
I have conduit in for the lights, and snap bushings in for the roll servo. I'm actually thinking about a conduit for the servo wires though.

Roll trim

On the RV9, the stock roll trim is a spring bias system in the fuselage. So no trim stuff in the wings if you are going stock.

One more question

Has anyone had any issues with the ADAHRS placement. I was told to possibly buy a remote magnetometer and place in the right wing. This is for the Dynon system. Again thanks for the input...

Some years ago, when I worked for a certain four-letter aviation association, we had a project airplane come through. When we removed a wingtip, we found a not-small rubber mallet in there. And it had been there awhile.

Maybe extra tubing for Angle of Attack if you ever decide to install?

In addition to the above, IF you may want a Nav antenna in there in the future, it is nice to have the coax installed before you close the wing. Some of us also have 2-meter ham radio APRS in the wingtip.

You said you have spare wires. Can any of the spare wires be used for a future CAN Bus?

Others have hit on everything I can think of.

Back