VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

  #1  
Old 09-03-2019, 09:09 PM
Bill Boyd's Avatar
Bill Boyd Bill Boyd is online now
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Landing field "12VA"
Posts: 1,395
Default Baffle kit questions

Is the VA-187 4" oil cooler duct flange suppose to be in this kit? I cannot locate it among the pieces they shipped, nor on the packing list (possible I overlooked it on the list but not in the box). I've ordered one form Van's today but it's bugging me that maybe it should've been included.

When the plans say to dimple a certain rivet hole "inboard" or "outboard," is that referring to inside vs outside the box formed by the baffles, or to the orientation of the dimple relative to the aircraft centerline? There are places where a hole could be dimpled "outboard" of the enclosure but facing the center of the ship. The case I've already encountered (FF2-4, step 7) seemed to make no difference in regards to the fit of the CB 1005B oil cooler brace, but there are other similar callouts around cylinder 5.
__________________
Bill Boyd

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-03-2019, 09:45 PM
Kyle Boatright Kyle Boatright is online now
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,836
Default

Bill, I have a narrow deck engine so I had to alter how the cylinder 5 baffle mounts to the case, so everything you see isn't stock. Also, I made a cutout/bypass for the aft fins on #5 - that's not stock either. Otherwise, I will tell you that all of the flush rivets near the cylinders are installed flush on the "inside" of the baffles so they have a smooth surface against the cylinder. Here's a picture if it helps:




If you need a picture of a specific angle or location, please advise - the airplane is sitting uncowled 20' from the chair I'm sitting in.


Oh, and don't remember which kit the 4" flange came with.
__________________
Kyle Boatright
Atlanta, GA
2001 RV-6 N46KB
2019(?) RV-10

Last edited by Kyle Boatright : 09-03-2019 at 09:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-04-2019, 08:02 AM
bcondrey bcondrey is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bellevue, NE
Posts: 521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
Is the VA-187 4" oil cooler duct flange suppose to be in this kit? I cannot locate it among the pieces they shipped, nor on the packing list (possible I overlooked it on the list but not in the box). I've ordered one form Van's today but it's bugging me that maybe it should've been included.

When the plans say to dimple a certain rivet hole "inboard" or "outboard," is that referring to inside vs outside the box formed by the baffles, or to the orientation of the dimple relative to the aircraft centerline? There are places where a hole could be dimpled "outboard" of the enclosure but facing the center of the ship. The case I've already encountered (FF2-4, step 7) seemed to make no difference in regards to the fit of the CB 1005B oil cooler brace, but there are other similar callouts around cylinder 5.
The 4 flange is in the FWF kit, not the baffle kit.
__________________
Bob
RV-10 builder x2
RV-7A under construction
EAA Tech Counselor
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-04-2019, 08:17 AM
Bill Boyd's Avatar
Bill Boyd Bill Boyd is online now
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Landing field "12VA"
Posts: 1,395
Default That explains it.

I forewent (is that a word?) the FWF kit altogether as I'm doing hoses from Tom, etc.

I too plan to do no-fin-depth bypasses around cylinders 2 and 5. I'd appreciate seeing closeups of what others have done there.

I'm impressed at what a work of metal-crafting art the baffle kit is nowadays compared to the RV-6 of 25 years ago. Even though I know I will have to hack a few corners off these pieces to get them to fit my particular install on the 540 C4B5.
__________________
Bill Boyd

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-04-2019, 10:41 AM
rocketman1988 rocketman1988 is online now
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sunman, IN
Posts: 1,730
Default Baffle kit

Yes you would THINK the va187 should be in the baffle kit because it is literally the first thing you do building the baffles... but no, its not there.

At least the shipping cost of the va187 was more than the part...
__________________
Bob
Aerospace Engineer '88

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
EFII System 32 - Done
297 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful
Wiring...

Dues Paid 2018,...Thanks DR+
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-04-2019, 10:59 AM
Bill Boyd's Avatar
Bill Boyd Bill Boyd is online now
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Landing field "12VA"
Posts: 1,395
Default

Curious also if there is much perceived benefit in going with a better grade of baffle fabric than the black stuff Vans provides with the kit. I've used the black fabric for 20+ years in the 6A, but I know there's better grades out there that get talked about.
__________________
Bill Boyd

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-04-2019, 11:01 AM
lr172 lr172 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 4,203
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
Bill, I have a narrow deck engine so I had to alter how the cylinder 5 baffle mounts to the case, so everything you see isn't stock. Also, I made a cutout/bypass for the aft fins on #5 - that's not stock either. Otherwise, I will tell you that all of the flush rivets near the cylinders are installed flush on the "inside" of the baffles so they have a smooth surface against the cylinder. Here's a picture if it helps:




If you need a picture of a specific angle or location, please advise - the airplane is sitting uncowled 20' from the chair I'm sitting in.


Oh, and don't remember which kit the 4" flange came with.
I expect to be doing baffles in a couple of weeks (painting now ). Wondering if you have any details on the mods you had to make to support a narrow deck. I also ave a narrow deck C4B5.
__________________
N64LR
RV-6A / IO-320, Flying as of 8/2015
RV-10 in progress
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-04-2019, 11:06 AM
lr172 lr172 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 4,203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
Curious also if there is much perceived benefit in going with a better grade of baffle fabric than the black stuff Vans provides with the kit. I've used the black fabric for 20+ years in the 6A, but I know there's better grades out there that get talked about.
I bought some of the 3" silicone stuff from ACS and plan to try the method Toolbuilder and Paddy used. I am a month behind you so cannot give feedback on how it works.

Larry
__________________
N64LR
RV-6A / IO-320, Flying as of 8/2015
RV-10 in progress
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-04-2019, 12:23 PM
Lynnb's Avatar
Lynnb Lynnb is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Cedar Hill, TX
Posts: 296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
Curious also if there is much perceived benefit in going with a better grade of baffle fabric than the black stuff Vans provides with the kit. I've used the black fabric for 20+ years in the 6A, but I know there's better grades out there that get talked about.
I used the silicone from ACS with backing plates, pretty happy with the way it turned out, couldn't find a finished picture, this was mid install.

__________________
RV-10 in Process
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-04-2019, 08:02 PM
Kyle Boatright Kyle Boatright is online now
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
I expect to be doing baffles in a couple of weeks (painting now ). Wondering if you have any details on the mods you had to make to support a narrow deck. I also ave a narrow deck C4B5.

This is how I mounted the front left baffle and tied it to the engine case.



Here's how I tied the front right baffle to the engine case.





Here's how I cut the right rear baffle to clear the pressure relief valve (the yellow thing) and also added a strap to tie the baffle to the engine case.image sharing sites





Here's a view from the front of the engine. I scabbed on extensions to the baffles on both sides of the engine here. The stock ones left very large openings between the crankcase and the baffles.pic free host





Here's my current solution to the #5 cylinder air bypass. It is just a hole cut in the baffle, a 1/2" wide doubler (of 0.63, I think) around the hole, with a plate riveted over the top. That gave me an air passage that's about 0.095" deep, which should pass more air than what I've got on the RV-6 and has worked well for 18 years. I did not make a bypass for #2.

__________________
Kyle Boatright
Atlanta, GA
2001 RV-6 N46KB
2019(?) RV-10
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:48 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.