VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-03-2019, 09:09 PM

Default Baffle kit questions

Is the VA-187 4" oil cooler duct flange suppose to be in this kit? I cannot locate it among the pieces they shipped, nor on the packing list (possible I overlooked it on the list but not in the box). I've ordered one form Van's today but it's bugging me that maybe it should've been included.

When the plans say to dimple a certain rivet hole "inboard" or "outboard," is that referring to inside vs outside the box formed by the baffles, or to the orientation of the dimple relative to the aircraft centerline? There are places where a hole could be dimpled "outboard" of the enclosure but facing the center of the ship. The case I've already encountered (FF2-4, step 7) seemed to make no difference in regards to the fit of the CB 1005B oil cooler brace, but there are other similar callouts around cylinder 5.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 09-03-2019, 09:45 PM

Bill, I have a narrow deck engine so I had to alter how the cylinder 5 baffle mounts to the case, so everything you see isn't stock. Also, I made a cutout/bypass for the aft fins on #5 - that's not stock either. Otherwise, I will tell you that all of the flush rivets near the cylinders are installed flush on the "inside" of the baffles so they have a smooth surface against the cylinder. Here's a picture if it helps:

If you need a picture of a specific angle or location, please advise - the airplane is sitting uncowled 20' from the chair I'm sitting in.

Oh, and don't remember which kit the 4" flange came with.
2019(?) RV-10

Last edited by Kyle Boatright : 09-03-2019 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
Is the VA-187 4" oil cooler duct flange suppose to be in this kit? I cannot locate it among the pieces they shipped, nor on the packing list (possible I overlooked it on the list but not in the box). I've ordered one form Van's today but it's bugging me that maybe it should've been included.

When the plans say to dimple a certain rivet hole "inboard" or "outboard," is that referring to inside vs outside the box formed by the baffles, or to the orientation of the dimple relative to the aircraft centerline? There are places where a hole could be dimpled "outboard" of the enclosure but facing the center of the ship. The case I've already encountered (FF2-4, step 7) seemed to make no difference in regards to the fit of the CB 1005B oil cooler brace, but there are other similar callouts around cylinder 5.
The 4 flange is in the FWF kit, not the baffle kit.
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 09-04-2019, 08:17 AM

Default That explains it.

I forewent (is that a word?) the FWF kit altogether as I'm doing hoses from Tom, etc.

I too plan to do no-fin-depth bypasses around cylinders 2 and 5. I'd appreciate seeing closeups of what others have done there.

I'm impressed at what a work of metal-crafting art the baffle kit is nowadays compared to the RV-6 of 25 years ago. Even though I know I will have to hack a few corners off these pieces to get them to fit my particular install on the 540 C4B5.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:41 AM

Default Baffle kit

Yes you would THINK the va187 should be in the baffle kit because it is literally the first thing you do building the baffles... but no, its not there.

At least the shipping cost of the va187 was more than the part...

RV-10
Structure - 90% Done
Cabin Top - Aaarrghhh...
EFII System 32 - Done
297 HP Barrett Hung
ShowPlanes Cowl with Skybolts Fitted - Beautiful
Wiring...

Dues Paid 2018,...Thanks DR+
Old 09-04-2019, 10:59 AM

Curious also if there is much perceived benefit in going with a better grade of baffle fabric than the black stuff Vans provides with the kit. I've used the black fabric for 20+ years in the 6A, but I know there's better grades out there that get talked about.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:01 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
Bill, I have a narrow deck engine so I had to alter how the cylinder 5 baffle mounts to the case, so everything you see isn't stock. Also, I made a cutout/bypass for the aft fins on #5 - that's not stock either. Otherwise, I will tell you that all of the flush rivets near the cylinders are installed flush on the "inside" of the baffles so they have a smooth surface against the cylinder. Here's a picture if it helps:

If you need a picture of a specific angle or location, please advise - the airplane is sitting uncowled 20' from the chair I'm sitting in.

Oh, and don't remember which kit the 4" flange came with.
I expect to be doing baffles in a couple of weeks (painting now ). Wondering if you have any details on the mods you had to make to support a narrow deck. I also ave a narrow deck C4B5.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Curious also if there is much perceived benefit in going with a better grade of baffle fabric than the black stuff Vans provides with the kit. I've used the black fabric for 20+ years in the 6A, but I know there's better grades out there that get talked about.
I bought some of the 3" silicone stuff from ACS and plan to try the method Toolbuilder and Paddy used. I am a month behind you so cannot give feedback on how it works.

Larry
Old 09-04-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I used the silicone from ACS with backing plates, pretty happy with the way it turned out, couldn't find a finished picture, this was mid install.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
I expect to be doing baffles in a couple of weeks (painting now ). Wondering if you have any details on the mods you had to make to support a narrow deck. I also ave a narrow deck C4B5.

This is how I mounted the front left baffle and tied it to the engine case.

Here's how I tied the front right baffle to the engine case.

Here's how I cut the right rear baffle to clear the pressure relief valve (the yellow thing) and also added a strap to tie the baffle to the engine case.image sharing sites

Here's a view from the front of the engine. I scabbed on extensions to the baffles on both sides of the engine here. The stock ones left very large openings between the crankcase and the baffles.pic free host

Here's my current solution to the #5 cylinder air bypass. It is just a hole cut in the baffle, a 1/2" wide doubler (of 0.63, I think) around the hole, with a plate riveted over the top. That gave me an air passage that's about 0.095" deep, which should pass more air than what I've got on the RV-6 and has worked well for 18 years. I did not make a bypass for #2.

2019(?) RV-10