Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-28-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaziza View Post
I just had my uAvionix Echo installed today by a mechanic. (He installs this brand all the time) I said "how do I check it"? He said just call ATC. So I did, but it failed. Have to take it back to him. But before I do, anybody got any ideas??
Well first, you donít check it by calling ATC.
So how exactly did you check it, and what exactly failed? Are you talking the ADS-B performance report from the FAA, or did you just call ATC? If you didnít do a performance report, thatís a great place to start to see if you really did fail.

https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/paprrequest.aspx
Old 08-28-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaziza View Post
I just had my uAvionix Echo installed today by a mechanic. (He installs this brand all the time) I said "how do I check it"? He said just call ATC. So I did, but it failed. Have to take it back to him. But before I do, anybody got any ideas??
Check our this thread:
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit....php?p=1354624

Adjust your transponder threshold down in 100 unit increments and once the transponder populates its squawk code to the app, you should be ready for your flight, and should end up with a passing report.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
Well first, you don’t check it by calling ATC.
So how exactly did you check it, and what exactly failed? Are you talking the ADS-B performance report from the FAA, or did you just call ATC? If you didn’t do a performance report, that’s a great place to start to see if you really did fail.

https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/paprrequest.aspx
I just said" (to the mechanic) I see guys (who know what they're doing) here on VAF getting feedback from the FAA on whether it failed or passed. He told me, all I gotta do is call ATC. So I got up to some 4000 FT., called them, they said squawk 0137 and ident. So I did, they dutifully pinpointed my location with radar, but said nothing coming from my uAvionix. Then they tried a 2ed method, but that revealed nothing also.
As you guys in the know reading this can tell, I don't know beans about any of this. PS SPX, Josh, I started to fill out this: Public ADS-B Performance Report Request, but then at the bottom, it wanted my mechanics personal name. I'm afraid of stepping on toes. Let me talk to him personally first,---but nonetheless, thank you for making me aware of this form. I'll get back to you guys when I find something out. (Could be lotsa other non-builders out there who need this help also.)

Last edited by donaziza : 08-29-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:43 PM

Default Setup options are critical

The setup options on the Echo are required. I have installed several of these for friends and can help. I'm on the Falcon RV email list. You can email me there, here or just PM. I'm local as well.

Maj

Paid through 2019! How about you?
Old 08-30-2019, 01:56 PM

I installed the echoUAT and SkyFYX in my -4 last November. It took a couple of test flights to get a clean PAPR. It turned out that I had incorrectly set some parameters in the iPad app. A couple of calls to the uAvionix folks fixed it. The customer support is excellent. I would talk with them and follow their suggestions over your mechanicís or anyoneís on this forum - especially me!
Good luck
Old 08-30-2019, 01:57 PM

I installed the echoUAT and SkyFYX in my -4 last November. It took a couple of test flights to get a clean PAPR. It turned out that I had incorrectly set some parameters in the iPad app. A couple of calls to the uAvionix folks fixed it. The customer support is excellent. I would talk with them and follow their suggestions over your mechanics or anyoneís on this forum - especially me!
Good luck
Old 08-31-2019, 02:05 PM

Put one in my -8A. Install was easy. Hardest part was finding a place for the antenna that was 1m away from the antennas I already had.

Passed the FAA test on the first flight, have run it in anonymous mode ever since. I wasn't getting any ADSB-in information until I downloaded the latest version of Avare to the cheap pre-paid android I am using. Now can see the traffic.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:23 PM

Posted previously........

Finished up my echoUAT+SkyFYX-EXT install on my RV-8. I am not a fan of long expensive coax runs so I installed both the echoUAT transceiver and the antenna on the left inboard wing inspection panel. The ADSB antenna is 5+ feet from the transponder antenna and 3+ feet from my comm antenna. There are no obstructions between the ADSB and transponder antenna.

The SkyFYX GPS receiver was installed on the rear turtledeck. I used 20 gauge shielded twisted pair for the entire install. I purchased the SMA right angle male to BNC righ angle male pigtail on ebay for less than $10.

I'm running a Garmin 327 GTX and a Dynon D100 EFIS. Nothing hardwired to the Garmin or Dynon. I had to tweak the transponder threshold parameters via the app to get it reporting at 100%. I get a strong WiFi signal in the cockpit and the ADSB-in works effortlessly with my panel mounted IFly 740. Overall a great value and easy install.

TMX0360, Pmags, CS
Bridgewater, MA
KPYM
Old 08-31-2019, 06:04 PM

We installed an EchoUAT and SkyFyx in our RV-12. Once I got the threshold value set right, the FAA has been happy with it. I Just completed a test flight with our new iFly GPS, and it's happy with it as well. So we're happy with it. All in all, I'd say everyone is happy with it.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 09-01-2019, 11:55 PM

Installed an EchoUAT and a SkyFX-EXT in my RV-6 about a year ago. After a couple of setup ""tweaks" it has been flawless. I get a PAPR (ADS-B performance report) every now and then to make sure all is well.

Very pleased with uAvionix.
Pete Hunt, [San Diego] VAF #1069
RV-6, RV-6A, T-6G
ATP, CFII, A&P

2019 Donation+, Gladly Sent