VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-27-2019, 12:28 PM

Default UAvionix Echo

Iím considering installing this in my RV3 and just looking for opinions on the Uavionix Echo - EXT ďall in oneĒ system.
Any good/bad things to consider ?
Thanks out there!
Old 08-27-2019, 12:34 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
I’m considering installing this in my RV3 and just looking for opinions on the Uavionix Echo - EXT “all in one” system.
Any good/bad things to consider ?
Thanks out there!
I have the echoUAT tied to a G400W. I love it. If I didn't have the G400W, I would have bought the all in one system. Super easy install. Something like 3 wires....They were wonderful helping me over the telephone trying to tweak my setting in order to pass the ADSB report requirements. I would buy the echoUAT again today.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:34 PM

Default Uavionix Echo

Great ! thanks for the positive report !
Old 08-27-2019, 05:04 PM

Default Echo

I have an Echo unit, and an old Garmin (GTX327) transponder. It was an easy installation. I use the iFly700 for the traffic display, via WiFi. It works great.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:21 PM

Default Echo

Thanks for the report !
Old 08-27-2019, 05:49 PM

I installed the echo UAT in my RV3 in conjunction with a GRT Sport efis and a GTX 327. My set up was from GRT using their safefly gps.
Install was easy, support from GRT and Uavionics is very good and it works.
So far so good! I would recommend it.
RV8 (2)(sold)
RV12 (sold)
RV3B (flying)
Legend Cub
Old 08-28-2019, 09:16 AM

We installed the UAvionix echo with the GRT WS. Install was fairly simple and it works when the transponder is working (separate story) but have had a heck of Time getting it to show on the GRT display. Works great on the iPad though for ADSB in.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf3543 View Post
I installed the echo UAT in my RV3 in conjunction with a GRT Sport efis and a GTX 327. My set up was from GRT using their safefly gps.
Install was easy, support from GRT and Uavionics is very good and it works.
So far so good! I would recommend it.
I have the identical configuration. Here is an ADS-B shot with the aircraft parked in the hangar with the hangar door open! What a great system!

[IMG]NEiPMsOVR0mYjBShasdWbQ by Tom Valenzia, on Flickr[/IMG]
Dues contributor since 2007

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself...Anonymous
Old 08-28-2019, 12:13 PM

Default I would do it again, but..

In my case, using my iPhone 6s to configure it did not work at first and it cost me $100 at an avionics shop to figure out what was wrong. Search for my previous thread on this if you are curious.

I have the GRT WS and WX and have not yet wired it to them. I get traffic and WX on my iPhone and my CFI's iPad using FlyQ and ForeFlight respectively. No issues there - it just works as soon as you connect the wifi that the device emits.

Since the on-line documentation did, sort of, contain the answer, the burden is on me to be a smarter reader of what I consider poorly organized documentation. It was in an unusual place on the website (FAQ is normally pointed to from a menu and this was not). It is not in the instruction PDF; there is no troubleshooting section. In some but not all cases you have to turn off cellular and bluetooth and all other apps. There does not appear to be any way of knowing in advance which situations require that.

Second issue once that was resolved is that I need to adjust the sensitivity of how it receives the pressure altitude from the GTX 327 transponder (I did not hard wire that and that is supposed to be OK). The page on the configuration app is hidden and it took an email exchange to/from uAvionix to find out even that the "advanced" page exists, let alone what to do. Lacking that adjustment, my unit fails the "public report" for bar altitude reasons.

So there were two time consuming, expensive issues that are probably very easy to fix if only I'd had the information that could have been provided up front.

I am going to make the sensitivity adjustment tomorrow but probably will not be able to test it with the request for public report for at least another week.

I would buy this unit again because I have GRT EFIS's but if you don't care about that then the option direct from uAvionix with their combined GPS and GPS antenna would be just as good and a bit less $$.
Paid $25.00 "dues" net of PayPal cost for 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 (December).
This airplane is for sale: see website. my website

Old 08-28-2019, 11:05 PM

I just had my uAvionix Echo installed today by a mechanic. (He installs this brand all the time) I said "how do I check it"? He said just call ATC. So I did, but it failed. Have to take it back to him. But before I do, anybody got any ideas??