VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-26-2019, 01:47 PM

Default RV-9 Landing Speeds

Multiple times I have recommend flying the entire pattern in an RV-9(A) at a constant speed; abeam the touchdown point, put in all the flaps and trim for 60 knots, if heavy. (55 knots, if light.)

Here is a picture of my trim tab after a recent flight. It gives a pretty good idea of how slow you can approach in a -9.

Note: this picture was taken after landing with full tanks, no baggage, and only my big 'ol butt in the aircraft.

Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html

Last edited by N941WR : 08-26-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:09 PM

I regularly have Cessna 172s pass me on final for the parallel runway. With a fixed pitch prop I donít want to fly too fast and float down the runway. After I pull the power back to 1200 rpm I fly at 70 mph indicated until I have the runway made then cut it all the way to idle, just like Mike Seager taught me. Iíve been experimenting with bringing the airspeed up a little so Iím less of a hazard to those fast flying Cessnas!

But youíre right about touching down at low airspeed. Iíve played around with just how slow I can touch down. Itís almost if I could just hop out when the mains touch! Fantastic! It just likes to fly!

Pink slip issued: 5/7/12

First flight: 5/28/12, Memorial Day.

Phase I Complete: 8/18/12!

2019 donation: complete
Old 08-26-2019, 02:46 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks Bill - this is all good food for thought for when I get my -9 flying (hopefully in the next couple of years).
I've heard from a couple of other RV-9 pilots of just how slow (and fast) they can go.

Just wondering though, do you aim for 3-point or wheeler landings? Again just food for thought for me to ponder the flying characteristics while doing the endless drill/deburr/dimple/prime/rivet...
Old 08-26-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
Multiple times I have recommend flying the entire pattern in an RV-9(A) at a constant speed; abeam the touchdown point, put in all the flaps and trim for 60 knots, if heavy. (55 knots, if light.)
Are you implying that you hold 60 knots all the way to the flare/runway, or do you slow it even further? 60 KIAS seems fast for an RV-9.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffP View Post
Just wondering though, do you aim for 3-point or wheeler landings? Again just food for thought for me to ponder the flying characteristics while doing the endless drill/deburr/dimple/prime/rivet...
With my old engine (light O-290d2) I was tail heavy and it liked to three point and did so very easily.

With the O-360, it is better balanced, about where it should be and probably the same as an O-320, it likes to wheel land. I can do either, and it does either with an equal level of skill. However, I tend to wheel land it now.

You will like the -9! It is probably the easiest taildragger I have ever flown and I have time in a bunch of different taildraggers.
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 08-26-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
Are you implying that you hold 60 knots all the way to the flare/runway, or do you slow it even further? 60 KIAS seems fast for an RV-9.
If I wheel land it, I will touchdown at 60 to 50 knots, maybe slower, but defiantly above the stall speed.

If I three-point it, of course I will have to flair it and do a full stall landing. So, yes, I slow down but the entire pattern is still flown at one consistent speed and flap setting. Even at 55 knots, we are still way above the stall speed.

What I am referring to my post is that I don't put 10 degrees of flaps, trim, and slow down a little bit on downwind, 20 degrees, retrim, and slow it down some more on base, and put in the last of the flaps, retrim, and slow it down some more on final.

I have found with this airplane, it is much easier to put in all the flaps on downwind and trim it for the final approach speed, then fly the entire pattern at that speed.
SC86 - Easley, SC

Last edited by N941WR : 08-26-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:16 PM

Thank you for clarifying! Always looking to learn from others...
Old 08-26-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
Thank you for clarifying! Always looking to learn from others...
No problem.

Not to ignite the nosewheel vs. tailwheel debate but with conventional gear, you have more options when landing. For example, I know of one runway that is downhill both ways. If you do a fall stall landing with either landing gear configuration, the runway is dropping away from you as you are trying to get the plane on the ground. With conventional gear, you can just wheel it on by flying it lowered and lower until the wheels touch.
SC86 - Easley, SC
Old 08-26-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post

Here is a picture of my trim tab after a recent flight. It gives a pretty good idea of how slow you can approach in a -9.

Note: this picture was taken after landing with full tanks, no baggage, and only my big 'ol butt in the aircraft.

What I see here is a nose heavy aircraft. This trim position has nothing to do with landing slow.

"With conventional gear, you can just wheel it on by flying it lowered and lower until the wheels touch."

Not unique to conventional aircraft. Nose wheel (more conventional than conventional) can also fly on....... iow... "just wheel it on by flying it lower and lower until the wheels touch."

There is nothing wrong with flying the entire pattern at 5 knots above stall speed as long as you are not making everyone behind you extend and adjust their pattern....... I sure hope you are flying a tight pattern.
VAF #897
2019 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 08-26-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
What I see here is a nose heavy aircraft. This trim position has nothing to do with landing slow.
Nope, not nose heavy at all. In fact, due to the Catto prop, P-mags, lightweight starter, etc., the airplane is a little bit tail heavy, compared to the W&B's I've seen. Besides, with the RV's being nose heavy is a good thing as everything, including fuel burn, moves the CG aft.

Quote:
Not unique to conventional aircraft. Nose wheel (more conventional than conventional) can also fly on....... iow... "just wheel it on by flying it lower and lower until the wheels touch."
True, but much easier with a conventional gear.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with flying the entire pattern at 5 knots above stall speed as long as you are not making everyone behind you extend and adjust their pattern....... I sure hope you are flying a tight pattern.
Yep, I always fly a very tight pattern. One in which if the engine were to pack it in, I could make the runway.

If people are behind me, it is no different than if a Cub was landing or something else equally as slow. They are going to have to space it out.

Landing slow, is better on the tires and brakes, not to mention makes you adept at landing at short (1600') fields without worrying. (I have stunned the controllers at a local Delta airport by landing, stopping, retracting the flaps, resetting the trim, etc, and taking off again before the fixed distance markers on a no-wind day. It makes me wonder what I could do, if I had a CS prop up front.)

The point is, many -9(A) pilots I have spoken to tend to come in much faster than needed and float down the runway. Speed control is critical, more so with a -9(A) and a FP prop and flying slow approaches makes your landings much more consistent and predictable.
SC86 - Easley, SC

Last edited by N941WR : 08-26-2019 at 09:06 PM.