VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-26-2019, 11:31 AM

Default In flight window loss

A bit of excitement yesterday as my wife & I were returning from visiting family in Houston. We were cruising at 6500,75%,170kts,when my wife said "my window looks funny" no sooner than she finished speaking her door window blew out completely! Throttled back to about 110 kts and started assessing the situation. Very controllable with little yaw,I was on flight following so told them what occurred. ATC advised nearest airport but I told them I was considering continuing to my home base. Amazingly there was very little wind coming in,virtually none in front and not blowing on my hand very hard in back. Couldn't see any damage to horizontal stabilizer and as I said,handling normally. We continued the remaining way home (about an hour) and landed uneventfully.
I am not the builder but he had built a 7a before and I believe was the first customer completed 14a to fly (or nearly so) I have been trying to contact him with no luck to verify if he used Weld-on or Lord or whatever. I have the usual cracks in the paint around the windows that you see on a lot of the earlier builds
('07 first flight on mine) but it was not raised from the original flush fit to the cabin top. It came cleanly out of the joggle on all but the top and about half the aft towards the top. But I was able to cleanly pull some more out of the joggle after we landed. Makes me think I should replace all the side windows! The residue of the adhesive is sort of tan in color if that is a clue to what type it was.
I had always heard the cracking was cosmetic only so I had never been concerned but this changes everything! This window's cracking was at the forward lower edge going up a 3rd of the way and probably back a 3rd of the way. Obviously it pulled off in that area first (what my wife saw for a split second) and then when the slipstream got under it a bit it was game over.
Bummed about the thought of replacing all side windows but very thankful nothing was struck on the tail and that it handled so well through it all.
Crazy prop blast thumping while taxiing though. Just a heads up for anyone with cracks of more than an inch or two.

Last edited by kkmarshall : 08-26-2019 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-26-2019, 11:46 AM

Glad you're okay. I think it would be very helpful to post some pictures of what remains.
RV-10 Working on the "Dreaded Doors"
http://www.mykitlog.com/users/index....ig&project=803
F-14 (Pedal Plane - Daughter's Project) "Flying"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKCyX2FXrlw
Old 08-26-2019, 11:50 AM

Will do,didn't think about it last night.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:19 PM

In the past Iíve lost a door on a Pawnee and smashed an entire glider canopy during aerobatics. The one thing I took away from both of those occasions was how pleasant it was to enjoy the view and fresh breeze without Perspex getting in the way! In the long run I think it would work out cheaper to buy something open cockpit if Iím to enjoy that privilege regularly!
Old 08-26-2019, 03:09 PM

Wow great job flying the aircraft first. Kudos to your wife for being a good pax too! I’d like to see pictures too.
N1017H Reserved
EAA #: 1106970
2019 VAF Dues Paid!
Old 08-26-2019, 04:56 PM

Pretty tech unskilled. Anyone want me to text and/or email pics to them that is willing to post them here?
Old 08-26-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkmarshall View Post
Pretty tech unskilled. Anyone want me to text and/or email pics to them that is willing to post them here?
Send me the pic's. <address redacted>

I'll post them this evening.
2019(?) RV-10

Last edited by Kyle Boatright : 08-26-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:10 PM

Thank you!
Old 08-26-2019, 06:50 PM

Looks like Lord adhesive and a bond failure between the adhesive and the fiberglass. The question is what caused the bond failure? Poor preparation, unsuitable adhesive, cyclic fatigue due to thermal expansion, bigfoot...?

2019(?) RV-10
Old 08-26-2019, 07:18 PM

That's what I want to figure out as well. I have small paint cracks on the corners of the other windows also though none are as long as were on the window that failed. Curious how you are able to identify it as Lord adhesive? Van's tech support wasn't sure from the pics. He said Weld-on is white and this looks cream colored. Is that the color of Lord? Data point,first flight was Jan '07 and it has 900 hrs with 400 of them by me over the last 5 years. Always in a hangar.
Thanks for posting the pics for me by the way.

Last edited by kkmarshall : 08-26-2019 at 07:26 PM.