- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2019, 05:28 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruTrakAndrew View Post
Now now now...I'm still here.

Good to hear that, been awhile since you have made an appearance here on VAF.

Congrats on the sale.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 07-27-2019, 06:05 PM

Default Too long

Honestly, with some of the personnel transitions we have been through, VAF hasnít been getting the attention it should. No ones fault but my own. Iíll be better about that.

Thanks,

RV-4 214NY "Carrie Ann"
RV-10 989TS
Always flying someone else's airplane too
EAA - 309420
Old 07-29-2019, 10:06 AM

Congratulations on the sale, Andrew. As a loyal TruTrak customer I can only hope this transaction bodes well for your prior customers. It's truly unfortunate that Bendix-King under Honeywell's corporate guidance has such a terrible track record in the GA world.

Given that B-K has been ditching dealers left right and center, what's the marketing plan for TT products moving forward? Is it still going to be a direct sales model? Will we still be able to buy directly from TT and the pre-existing TT dealer network? Or will we be forced to go through the B-K "certified" avionics dealers that are withering on the vine like grapes in a drought?

After spending too long trying to get B-K to respond to these questions on other newly-acquired product lines I had pretty much given up B-K for lost. I hope TruTrak becomes the tail that wags the very tired B-K dog back to life.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
I hope TruTrak becomes the tail that wags the very tired B-K dog back to life.
Amen to that! But that will be a tough row to hoe!

I just wonder how long the TruTrak team will tolerate the "You're Bendix-King now, this is how it will be done!" line.

George
Happy TT owner/user
Old 07-29-2019, 11:33 AM

Default Customer Support

Hey Andrew,
Look forward to talking when you get back in the shop. I called this morning for an update on an offer made on trading my Gemini PFD in on a full auto pilot system but nobody is in the shop till Wednesday they said. I hope you had a fun Oshkosh and Iím sure you were besieged with inquires about what changes are in store. Iím hoping I can still deal with the old team for a little while longer. Talk to you Wednesday and feel free to PM me as well.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruTrakAndrew View Post
I want you all to know that I remain VERY committed to supporting the experimental (and certified) markets. We know that this market is very price conscious and don't expect you to pay $$$$$ for a $$$$ product. I also know that TruTrak has a good reputation for support (yes, we are slower now than we used to be, due to growth issues. but we are working to better that.)
Okay, some feedback from a customer which speaks to that.

We've been waiting for software for the Vizion to do Garmin G5 integration for ... quite a while. TruTrak first suggested that it was in play more than a year ago, some of us were expecting some more info about it at OSH'18.

At OSH'19, the word is that it's now with the FAA waiting for approval, which could take three to six months. If that's accurate, then the time elapsed from initial announcement of the feature to its actual delivery will be almost two years, which seems a lot like the lead-time on certified products which E/AB folks thought we were avoiding!

The Experimental market doesn't need FAA approval for any aspect whatsoever of an autopilot. It's unclear why the FAA would be presented as something on the critical path at an EXPERIMENTAL Aircraft Association convention. Hearing that from your booth last week was very jarring, it wasn't great messaging in the context of where it was being delivered and the kind of people it was being delivered to.

I have noticed a change from TruTrak since the autopilot STC was made available: It's very clear that you're prioritizing the certified market now. That's perhaps not surprising, given that you can sell essentially the same product into that market at twice the price, which probably increases your gross profit percentage by several hundred per cent. Hard to criticize you for doing that.

But you're also expressing an intention to be true to your roots, so to speak: "VERY committed to supporting the experimental market." In that spirit, can you tell us when Garmin G5 integration will be made available for non-STC'ed Vizion 385 autopilot systems on a timeframe that doesn't depend on the FAA, just like all your products were produced two years ago?

(A GMC 307 with a couple of Garmin servos isn't that much different cost-wise and functionality-wise from a Vizion 385, except that the integration problem is already solved to the extent that the G5 can be used as a full-on flight director; And it's been available as a package for almost as long as the G5 has been on the market. You have a competitor in your patch, but from this distance it feels like you've been playing dead? Should your customers who have subsequently installed G5's sell their TruTrak systems on the second hand market and buy Garmin?)

- mark
Old 07-29-2019, 04:51 PM

I love my trutrack and no one will pry my new vizion 385 autopilot out of my rv6 until one of its components dies. As soon as it does, it will be a full garmin retrofit. Bendix/king has a horrible track record with GA and none with experimental aircraft. I have no faith in the fact they will continue to support and sell direct to the little guy for self installation.
Lycon port/polish
Dual pmags
EI Commander
Whirlwind 200rv prop
IFR Glass panel
Trutrak Vizion 385 Autopilot
Flightline Interior
Almost rv14 seat mod/cable locking
Electric seat back adjuster
Old 07-30-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_JOY View Post
Congratulations on the sale, Andrew. As a loyal TruTrak customer I can only hope this transaction bodes well for your prior customers. It's truly unfortunate that Bendix-King under Honeywell's corporate guidance has such a terrible track record in the GA world.

Given that B-K has been ditching dealers left right and center, what's the marketing plan for TT products moving forward? Is it still going to be a direct sales model? Will we still be able to buy directly from TT and the pre-existing TT dealer network? Or will we be forced to go through the B-K "certified" avionics dealers that are withering on the vine like grapes in a drought?

After spending too long trying to get B-K to respond to these questions on other newly-acquired product lines I had pretty much given up B-K for lost. I hope TruTrak becomes the tail that wags the very tired B-K dog back to life.
We are still working out the exact details of how everything plays out, but BK knows the customer base is frustrated with the inability to easily get ahold of equipment and support. Thatís one of the areas where we will be working very hard.
I know this isnít an answer, but I havenít even met the entire team yet. Know that I share your concern and will be working hard to make sure that you can still get what you need, and get it at a good price.

All TruTrak dealers are still TruTrak dealers!

RV-4 214NY "Carrie Ann"
RV-10 989TS
EAA - 309420
Old 07-30-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanhank View Post
I love my trutrack and no one will pry my new vizion 385 autopilot out of my rv6 until one of its components dies. As soon as it does, it will be a full garmin retrofit. Bendix/king has a horrible track record with GA and none with experimental aircraft. I have no faith in the fact they will continue to support and sell direct to the little guy for self installation.
I can live with that...for now. When you do need something else, Iíll be hoping that I have convinced you to give another avionics manufacturer another shot.

RV-4 214NY "Carrie Ann"
RV-10 989TS
EAA - 309420
Old 07-30-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduff View Post
Hey Andrew,
Look forward to talking when you get back in the shop. I called this morning for an update on an offer made on trading my Gemini PFD in on a full auto pilot system but nobody is in the shop till Wednesday they said. I hope you had a fun Oshkosh and Iím sure you were besieged with inquires about what changes are in store. Iím hoping I can still deal with the old team for a little while longer. Talk to you Wednesday and feel free to PM me as well.
Yeah, even after a ďnormalĒ Oshkosh itís crazy. My team has worked really hard and they surely deserve a little break. We will still take care of you on your upgrade...at the same price we would have two weeks ago. Stephen was out today, but was working remote to try and get through the backlog of customer emails.

If you canít get him tomorrow, tell the front office I said to put you through to me or give you my cell number. Im busy, but not too busy to help.

RV-4 214NY "Carrie Ann"
RV-10 989TS
EAA - 309420