VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-20-2017, 09:58 PM

Default Tilting Canopy vs Slider

I was told by a buddy of mine that has an RV 7 with a tilting canopy that his plane has an emergency release handle that will release the canopy in the event of an emergency. I was wondering what the consensus re the safety feature of this mod? Also wondering if this is one reason some pilots prefer a sliding canopy over a tilt type?
Old 11-21-2017, 06:01 AM

Personal preference really, I have a slider with pull pins on the front rollers, lots of discussion on here as to if you can even open it during flight, but there ya go.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
I was told by a buddy of mine that has an RV 7 with a tilting canopy that his plane has an emergency release handle that will release the canopy in the event of an emergency. I was wondering what the consensus re the safety feature of this mod? Also wondering if this is one reason some pilots prefer a sliding canopy over a tilt type?
Neither can be opened in flight or when upside down on the ground. Iíve had both and much prefer the slider.

Superior visibility , yes , the front bow is a non issue but the visibility to the side and rear quarters much superior ( no tip up roll bar in the way)

Much nicer to taxi with on a hot day

No water flowing onto instruments especially when opening canopy

Tip up acts as a sail in high winds and will move the aircraft on the ground as you try to run around and put chocks in, make sure you have a parking brake.

Friend forgot to put it down when pushing into hanger and caught it on the opening of the hanger, serious damage

Peter
Old 11-21-2017, 07:44 AM

Thanks for the info I did a search and there is lots of discussion on the topic
Old 11-21-2017, 08:26 AM

Yes, there is a lot of discussion. I was building an RV-7 slider, for all the reasons Peter mentioned (plus the extra "cool factor" of course). Now I'm flying an RV-12, which is tip-up only. I have to say, issues with the tip-up are greatly exaggerated. Yes, you do have to exercise some care with it on the ground if there's more than a slight breeze. My rule is, I never leave it open if I'm not there to hold it. It's not as big a deal as you'd think. It's easy to pop open a few inches or more during taxi, and ventilation is pretty good - though not quite as good as a slider, I'm sure. Still, in a hot and humid Nebraska summer it's not that bad. Visibility is just fantastic. Front, sides, up, down, behind. The only inconvenience is that once in a while my wife or I will go to point something out and stick our finger into the canopy.

As for jettisoning in flight... seriously... think of a situation where you'd really ever want to do that.

I'm certainly not pushing the tip-up as being better than the slider. The best advice I ever got on the subject was the same as the advice I got for which end to put the third wheel. Build what you want.

It is interesting, though, that Van's has not introduced a new model with a sliding canopy option in 15 years.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 11-21-2017, 08:55 AM

I have a tip up RV7A and just finished some work on the avionics (replaced Navworx ADS-B with uAvionix) and once again wondered how I would have done this kind of work with a slider. And the visibility from the tip-up is unmatched!

Bob Cowan
RV7A close to 500 hrs
Old 11-21-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N743RV View Post
I have a tip up RV7A and just finished some work on the avionics (replaced Navworx ADS-B with uAvionix) and once again wondered how I would have done this kind of work with a slider. And the visibility from the tip-up is unmatched!

Bob Cowan
RV7A close to 500 hrs
My slider panel is removable with a few screws and gives excellent access. Have made several changes since first flight, I found it just as easy as the changes I had to make to my tipup panel.

I compare the visibility as that between a P51D and P51A turtle deck, with the P51D the all round view is excellent (thats why they built it) whereas with the P51A you are blocked to the rear, the front bow is very minor. Obviously the tip up has excellant visibility, but not the full 360, you never know when an f18 might get an your tail and you have to shake him off.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:39 AM
been here awhile

At this station in life my neck is no longer flexible enough for me to see what is on my six.....I enjoy the unlimited forward and side vision of my tip-up.

(Off to pop more corn.....)
Old 11-21-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret View Post
Personal preference really, I have a slider with pull pins on the front rollers, lots of discussion on here as to if you can even open it during flight, but there ya go.
I recently saw a Youtube video of an emergency water landing with a slider in Italy. The slider canopy was open all the way as the airplane hit the water and inverted. The pilot must have opened it while in flight.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:40 PM

I can only say that I have been upside down in a slider. If you take a straight line from the nose of the tip up to the roll bar. For me I would prefer to be upside down in a slider.
Obviously in either case it would not be pleasant.
Do all you can NOT to be upside down.
Dave