VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-13-2019, 12:09 PM

Steve, have you thought about doing an intake bell mouth for the SCAT connections on the rear baffles, for heat and oil cooler air? Those square shoulders on the VA-187 can't be good for maximizing air flow.

How about your own version of rear baffle hole covers where the Lord mounts protrude through?

I'm sure I can lay this stuff up over clay plugs with lightweight cloth and epoxy, but it seems like a natural application for 3D printing in appropriate material.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 09-13-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
Steve, have you thought about doing an intake bell mouth for the SCAT connections on the rear baffles, for heat and oil cooler air? Those square shoulders on the VA-187 can't be good for maximizing air flow.

How about your own version of rear baffle hole covers where the Lord mounts protrude through?

I'm sure I can lay this stuff up over clay plugs with lightweight cloth and epoxy, but it seems like a natural application for 3D printing in appropriate material.
Now that you mention intakes on SCAT tubes, a bug screen holder that you can slide in there would be nice too. I guess the user would have to supply their own material. There is a write up in the July2018 Sport Aviation magazine that shows how to make one using 2 tubing. I was thinking of something like this for the -10 to keep out the bees
RV10 - #41673
http://n688cd.wordpress.com
N688CD Reserved
Old 09-14-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post

I've thought about it but the temperatures under the cowl are too high for ABS and ASA. I am planning to experiment with graphite/nylon to understand it's temperature capability. The filament I have has a Tg of 147C and you want operate 25C below that so that's 122C (250F)max. The next part I am planning for is the spark plug lead pass thru wire mount to test on my aircraft. Peak soak back maximum temperatures usually occur at around 6 minutes after shutdown so I will be able to connect a thermocouple to the parts and check after landing.

Simplicity is the art in design.

see Amanda Melton for www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 09-15-2019, 07:01 AM

Default Bose A20 for Velcro

I'm sure these will make someone happy.

Last edited by Steve Melton : 09-30-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:29 AM

Default under cowl temperature after shutdown

max reading = 208F at 8 minutes after shutdown on a 75 degree day. if ambient temperature was higher the reading would obviously be higher. I'll try to find my ambient temperature correction equation but for now I'll just add the delta to 115F day of 115-75 = 40. So, 208 + 40 = 248F. That just just under the 250F max operating temp for my graphite/nylon (-25C of the nylon Tg), so I'll proceed with the spark plug lead pass through grommet. note: under cowl engine temperatures can vary depending on the engine. my engine is 0-320 with a standard oil cooler. PLA, ABS or ASA material does not have sufficient temp capability for this location.

to look something like this

Last edited by Steve Melton : 09-17-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:01 AM

Default You're on the right track

Now do the -540 (3 holes)

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 09-18-2019, 09:36 PM

Default plodding along

thinking of this design and how best to print..... kicking it around.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:52 AM

Make it in three pieces... Make the two halves for the cable holders, but put a flange around the outside that would sit on the baffle. Those pieces can be printed with the split plane (through the center holes) on the print bed. Make a third piece for the mounting flange, that fits around the cable holders, but has a recess to fit around the flange as well. Print that with the front (face we're looking at in your photo) on the bed. The recess won't need supports that way. It will also allow the cable holders to "float" a little bit, which may help with alignment/installation.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:43 PM

Three pieces is a thought but prefer to be minimum parts. I'll try this and see how it goes with carbon/nylon, two pieces. They are mirror pieces like the Slick but the pins are not mirrored. I'll print a couple of these to determine if it is possible and if so, then tweak it to close the gaps.

carbon/nylon

first print, some work to do but encouraging.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:52 PM

Default Gust lock - pouch

Amanda worked up an idea for a gust lock pouch and Abby at FlightLine Interiors did a prototype in Army green nylon/canvas. It has a semi-rigid bottom and individual spaces for each gust lock piece. This should reduce the rope tangling issue. I will get some pictures of it in the plane. It should tuck between the passenger seat and the fuselage and slide back some and be out of the way but easy to retrieve. It's not final, send Amanda a comment if you can think of anything better with it. My wife has already made some comment about preferring a zipper.... Maybe the handle should be on the end instead of the top?