What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear Pant and Fairings

I have a set of gear leg, wheel pant and step fairings that I never installed. PM me if interested. Same ones that were ForSale here on the forum.

Wheel pants and nose gear leg fairings are available from Vans. RV8 leg fairings can be cut down to fit the -12 main gear legs and intersection fairings for this setup are available from RVBits http://www.rvbits.com/

I used these--worked well

Wheel pants and nose gear leg fairings are available from Vans. RV8 leg fairings can be cut down to fit the -12 main gear legs and intersection fairings for this setup are available from RVBits http://www.rvbits.com/

I used Van's RV-8 leg fairings along with the intersection fairings for the RV-12 from Rv-bits. A few notes:

The RV-8 leg fairings are quite a bit longer than can be used on the RV-12. I believe mine ended up about 18 inches long--you have to play some sizing games to make sure the intersection fairings (for both the wheel pants and the fuselage) fit comfortably around the main gear fairings, while the main gear fairing fit comfortably around the gear. Both the wide (top) and narrow ends need to be trimmed. I chose to cut the main-gear-to-wheel pants intersection fairing along the sectioning between the front and back of the wheel pants--this made four only about one inch of intersection fairing for the front portion. I then glassed the intersection fairings to the two wheel pant sections, and then added about a half-inch overlap on the front portion where it tapers to the gear fairing, such that I didn't end up with an unsightly gap. I didn't get as fancy as the wheel pants overlap, which has the rear section recessed such that the overlap is flush. I'd post some pictures, but I'm out of town...it could at least serve as an example how to not-quite do it right.

If you are building an RV-12 E-LSA, you must strictly follow Van's plans and use Van's E-LSA approved wheel pants option kit (if you so choose to install the optional pants kit). After your E-LSA is signed-off by the FAA/DAR, you can change the pants / add cuffs / add leg fairings / add stabilator end tips / install a kitchen sink as you see fit - provided you remain within the intent of the LSA parameters.

If you are building an RV-12 E-AB, then you can experiment from start to finish and are not strictly bound by Van's plans.

Thanks for the information, I ordered fairings for my 10 from RV Bits and they where fantastic. I would like to do that again for the 12 but their website looks empty so I am not sure if they are still in business.

Pat

Last edited:
I read somewhere that Jan had temporarily closed the RVBits webstore due to a postal strike in S.A. Maybe send him an email?

Back