What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTR200 Push-Pull Question

alexe

Well Known Member
I glanced at the latest schematics and noticed that the Transmit Data and Receive Data leads of the GTR200 comm radio do not appear to be hooked up, at least according to the schematic. I'm pretty sure I dad all the proper Autocad "layers" turned on. For those of you that have a GTR200, are you able to push/pull from the Dynon SV without harness modification?

Thanks,
Alex

I'm able to push frequencies from the EFIS to the COMM as wired in the factory harness. Not sure of any other functionality that might be missing.

I glanced at the latest schematics and noticed that the Transmit Data and Receive Data leads of the GTR200 comm radio do not appear to be hooked up, at least according to the schematic. I'm pretty sure I dad all the proper Autocad "layers" turned on. For those of you that have a GTR200, are you able to push/pull from the Dynon SV without harness modification?

Thanks,
Alex

Yep. The freqs show up with the Id and TX/RX as well in the top bar of the SV.

I just noticed today that when I choose "Monitor" on the Garmin radio, the word "Dual" appears on the Skyview screen in between the active and standby frequency.

Thanks Randy, John and Bill. Good news! I guess I do not have all the proper layers selected when viewing the Autocad schematic, or the published schematic is incomplete. Anyway, the important thing is that the functionality is really there.

Alex

There is a setting in Skyview you need to change in one of the setup menus, as of 11.0 it is still SL40 - that's what I picked and it works and feeds fine.

Thanks Randy, John and Bill. Good news! I guess I do not have all the proper layers selected when viewing the Autocad schematic, or the published schematic is incomplete. Anyway, the important thing is that the functionality is really there.

Alex

Well I wanted to add something here:

1. Skyview is smart enough to know the ident of the freq you have tuned and will show it at the top of the display if you have it set up.

2. I have the Seattle Avionics package so I can go to the frequencies page, select/highlight a frequency and press TUNE at the bottom menu and that will put the freq in the standby box on the GTR, BUT what does not appear to happening is that the database containing the frequency ID doesn't seem to transfer over to the GTR.

Page 4 of the GTR-200 manual states that: "When connected to a device that provides nearby freq info, nearby station identifiers will be shown for the selected freq." This is not happening for me - but it may not matter unless you are in very congested airspace going from atis to tower to atis to tower to ground and so on and so forth.

I remember a thread from someone talking about an additional wire - but that might have been the SL40.

The 200 can receive freqs from.EFIS's, but it wont send the freqs back. At least on my GRT stuff. Garmn told me it would.not do it. SL 30 and 40 would but not the rep 430/650.

Hello Jerry,

I'm not so sure that information is entirely correct. The GTR 200 will indeed output its current active and standby frequencies via the RS-232 interface, and can replace an SL40 in this regard. Please see section B.2.3 in the current GTR 200 installation manual (Rev. E) for documentation on the RS-232 messages that are transmitted by the GTR 200.

- Matt

Hello Jerry,

I'm not so sure that information is entirely correct. The GTR 200 will indeed output its current active and standby frequencies via the RS-232 interface, and can replace an SL40 in this regard. Please see section B.2.3 in the current GTR 200 installation manual (Rev. E) for documentation on the RS-232 messages that are transmitted by the GTR 200.

- Matt

This is correct - my GTR-200 does output both freqs and Skyview can read them and immediately identify them as KIWA Tower ATIS etc etc in the top of the Skyview and even shows a RX or TX when appropriate - what is not happening is that the Skyview does not appear to be sharing only the station ident info back with the GTR-200.

I was wondering if I had a setting wrong or something.

Hello Jerry,

- Matt

Thanks Matt. I'm glad to be getting more information on this. Is this maybe a software update or change? I talked to Garmin, Approach Faststack and a couple other Avionics folks when I installed my system and was told by everyone that the 200, and 650 would not send a signal out on the serial back to the EFIS, as did my SL30. After studying up on it, it was decided that a serial out wire RS232, pin 23 on the 200 should not be wired since it didn't output anything. Inquiring minds. Will it just talk to the Dynon's and G3's, or will it in fact output the freq's back to my GRT?

This is correct - my GTR-200 does output both freqs and Skyview can read them and immediately identify them as KIWA Tower ATIS etc etc in the top of the Skyview and even shows a RX or TX when appropriate - what is not happening is that the Skyview does not appear to be sharing only the station ident info back with the GTR-200.

I don't have an RV-12, but I do have a SV and a GTR-200 with the exact same symptoms. There are no identifiers displayed on the GTR-200 itself, but I'm able to tune from and decode on the SV.

Glad I'm not alone! Hope somebody has a firmware fix for this someday.

I talked to Garmin, Approach Faststack and a couple other Avionics folks when I installed my system and was told by everyone that the 200, and 650 would not send a signal out on the serial back to the EFIS, as did my SL30. After studying up on it, it was decided that a serial out wire RS232, pin 23 on the 200 should not be wired since it didn't output anything.

Hello Jerry - Unfortunately the information you received from your dealer was only halfway correct. It is true that the GTN 650 IFR navigator does not currently provide any output of radio frequency data or support an interface for remote radio tuning. However, the GTR 200 is an entirely different unit that was specifically designed to work well with a variety of external avionics. This includes full support for the SL30/SL40 RS-232 interface that is already supported by many avionics displays.

I don't have an RV-12, but I do have a SV and a GTR-200 with the exact same symptoms. There are no identifiers displayed on the GTR-200 itself, but I'm able to tune from and decode on the SV.

Glad I'm not alone! Hope somebody has a firmware fix for this someday.

Hello Lrgabriel - The GTR 200 requires frequency identifier information to be provided by an external source in order for it to be displayed on the comm radio screen. The RS-232 interface protocol to accomplish this functionality is fully documented in the GTR 200 installation manual. Of course this interface is fully supported by many Garmin products, including various portable GPS units as well as the G3X system. For use with other systems, we invite you to contact your avionics vendor to request that they add support for the GTR 200 RS-232 interface.

- Matt

Back