What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Move voltage regulator for dual Skyview installation

Ex Bonanza Bucko

Well Known Member
The installation docs for the new. second, Skyview on the starboard (co pilot) side of the panel say to "relocate the voltage regular as per section 46."

Since I did not build my S-LSA I am not too good a reading Van's builders' manuals. But it appears to me in section 46 that all that is required to get this move made is to unbolt the voltage regulator from the rack in the engine compartment, unplug it and move it to the deck under the instrument panel using the main wiring harness hole that is available there.

If you have built an RV12 and understand the above please tell me if I have read this process correctly. I, of course, will have an A&P do the work or at least sign it off.....my son is one of those :)

EBB

Bucko,

I did the conversion. See thread referenced above. If you or your son want to talk it through with me send me a PM and I will give you my cell number.

John

Big John:

Thanks. I have another question: Nobody has ever said what the purpose of moving the regulator is; why does the addition of a new skivvies screen make it necessary...or is there another reason?

I heard the regulator heats up to 180C (360F) and I don't want that anywhere near me or the skivvies so where do you mount it?

When we get the screen we'll probably giver you a call. Won't be until January because of other stuff in the way.....family, friends, holidays etc.

I'll send you a PM this morning with my cell phone in the hangar.

Thanks again,
EBB

OK, But WHY does somebody insist on that and who is that somebody?

I don't think we should obey without question.

EBB:-(

I am having a hard time understanding your misunderstanding....

When you bought your RV-12, you purchased a certificated airplane, in the same sense as when you bought your Bonanza.

The manufacturer of an LSA is responsible for everything on the airplane in the same way that Beachcraft was for your Bonanza. Hopefully that answers your question.

BTW, I recently explained why, here in the RV-12 forum.

Last edited:
I have no "misunderstanding." I simply want to understand WHY it is important to move the regulator. I think I understood everything about my Bonanza during the 30 years and 3000 hours of flight it was in my hangar. I want to do the same thing with my RV12.

EBB

I have no "misunderstanding." I simply want to understand WHY it is important to move the regulator. I think I understood everything about my Bonanza during the 30 years and 3000 hours of flight it was in my hangar. I want to do the same thing with my RV12.

EBB

The Why is heat.:eek: When operating at max load capacity of the regulator the cooler it is the longer the life of the unit.;) With everything turned on with two Skyviews you will be at or near max load. So mounting inside the cockpit will provide a cooler environment for the regulator than on the firewall right behind the left aft exhaust header. I think they cost about $175.00 so replacing one every couple years costs.:rolleyes:

EBB

Sorry

Since you were participating in the other thread where this was being discussed, I assumed you already new it was for better temp environment of the regulator.

I'm one-screen, may go to two. Will move my regulator anyway next annual in April. I normally operate with flashing landing light due to birds and have AP and ADSB and have replaced the regulator once.

Question: Has anyone measured the temperature adjacent to the regulator inside the cowl? Seems like that area might be a bit stagnant given that the air inlet on that side is ducted to the heads.
So I imagine the area under the avionics bay is cooler, perhaps considerably. However, seems like there is not a lot of airflow in that area either. And, the regulator is mounted there upside down so the cooling fins will not have natural convection working for them nor the blast tube.

I imagine all this was measured and tested and documented in coming up with this as the right mod - just curious about these factors. As in, the difference in heat transfer rate, or the maximum temp of a loaded regulator with the blast tube in the cowl vs the relocated one without.

Has anyone considered mounting the regulator so that the fins are exposed to the slip stream / prop wash, perhaps on the bottom of the fuselage or cowl? The electrical terminals would have to be protected from rain and water from splashing tires.

Hi Joe,

That's an interesting idea but methinks waterproofing the connector would be a real challenge, and the shielded cable with the AC output would have to be extended as well. Personally I'm happy with the inside installation for now, and look forward to seeing what the lifetime of the regulator is going to be in the new location. We won't know that until the fleet ages some and we see how much the failure rate drops, if it does.

Hopefully future failures of units in the new location will be reported here and to Van's. When (if) those reports come in, it will also be interesting to note whether the units were placed in the new location brand new (like mine), or already had some hours on them in the original location.

John

I had a temp strip stuck to the regulator on my previous 12 and it seems that it blacked out in the 140 F range.

Back