What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Roll Servo Install

asw20c

Well Known Member
I have been trying to wrap my head around what capabilities come with the generic wiring harness that Vans supplies as part of the wing kit, what harnesses I need to make myself, and what comes with a panel built by Stein. The otherwise excellent build-plans that Vans supplies are silent when it comes to this type of information. It would be so helpful if the plans simply included a note saying something like: "The left wing harness includes wiring and connectors for a landing light, magnetometer, ADAHRS, stall switch, and heated pitot for manufactures Dynon, Garmin, etc.. The right wing wiring harness includes blah blah blah". That would make it perfectly clear for what systems a builder wants to include that he will have to do himself.
Anyway, I know the roll servo for the autopilot goes in the right wing. I bought a VOR/localizer/glideslope antenna that goes in the right wingtip, and I know that I have to run the coax for that myself. I see there is a small molex plug that is in the bay just outboard of the wing walk ribs and I'm pretty sure that is for the aileron trim servo. What I'm not sure about is where the roll servo goes because according to Stein, when they build you a panel they include a wiring harness long enough to reach the servo. In this case, all I need to do is make sure I have a way to pull the harness to that location. The problem is that I don't know where it goes. Because the aileron bellcrank bracket has a large molex plug mounted in it, I'm assuming the roll servo goes there? Or somewhere close to that bay? Can anyone confirm this? Or better yet, send a photo?

I have been trying to wrap my head around what capabilities come with the generic wiring harness that Vans supplies as part of the wing kit, what harnesses I need to make myself, and what comes with a panel built by Stein. The otherwise excellent build-plans that Vans supplies are silent when it comes to this type of information. It would be so helpful if the plans simply included a note saying something like: "The left wing harness includes wiring and connectors for a landing light, magnetometer, ADAHRS, stall switch, and heated pitot for manufactures Dynon, Garmin, etc.. The right wing wiring harness includes blah blah blah". That would make it perfectly clear for what systems a builder wants to include that he will have to do himself.
Anyway, I know the roll servo for the autopilot goes in the right wing. I bought a VOR/localizer/glideslope antenna that goes in the right wingtip, and I know that I have to run the coax for that myself. I see there is a small molex plug that is in the bay just outboard of the wing walk ribs and I'm pretty sure that is for the aileron trim servo. What I'm not sure about is where the roll servo goes because according to Stein, when they build you a panel they include a wiring harness long enough to reach the servo. In this case, all I need to do is make sure I have a way to pull the harness to that location. The problem is that I don't know where it goes. Because the aileron bellcrank bracket has a large molex plug mounted in it, I'm assuming the roll servo goes there? Or somewhere close to that bay? Can anyone confirm this? Or better yet, send a photo?

Yes servo fits into aileron bellcrank bracket. Check photo here: https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/2018/03/update-march-18th-right-wing-systems.html

Unless you’re using something other than Dynon or Garmin everything you need in terms of wiring is included in the servo install kits and harnesses supplied by Vans or SteinAir (I bought mine from SteinAir). My panel arrives tomorrow from SteinAir. I don’t think the panel harness servo wires go all the way to the servos but rather plug into the standard fuselage harness which in turn plug into wing harness and the pitch/roll servo harnesses

Last edited:
To add on to Bob's post, take page 1 to the print shop and have them print it out full size which is like 48" you will see all of the labeling clearly. It's a huge help when figuring out what does what.

Thanks guys. Your replies were immensely helpful. Also, I purchased my Garmin pitch and roll servos from Stein already but that short wiring harness from the roll servo to the molex plug installed in the aileron bracket from the basic wiring harness did not come with my servo. Does that come later?

Thanks guys. Your replies were immensely helpful. Also, I purchased my Garmin pitch and roll servos from Stein already but that short wiring harness from the roll servo to the molex plug installed in the aileron bracket from the basic wiring harness did not come with my servo. Does that come later?

If I remember correctly, that comes with Van's Garmin servo install kit along with the actuator rod materials.

This search term will find it on their parts and accessories page... 14 GARMIN AP SERVO INSTALL KIT
Van's can tell you what the contents of that kit are.

Last edited:
I still refer to the master wiring diagram on Vans website. It's a great reference.
Wiring was my biggest challenge during my build (zero experience) but between Vans & Stein everything went together fantastically and is working fine 170 hrs later. From memory the only wiring I added was for pitot heat and the fuse harness allows for that out to the wing route molex (WH-00125) so all I had to do was add it out to the mounting point.
It's probably due to my lack of experience but I never understood all the builders who wanted to throw away the supplied harnesses.
If your working with Stein and using what Vans supply it will work out fine.

bringing up a question that I have not found an answer to.....

I am complete with my right wing with the exception of installing the AP Servo and the roll trim servo.....

I am going with Dynon and on their website, they have an install kit for the 7/9/10 that looks like the correct part. Question I have, for anyone that has installed the dynon AP servos, did you have to order the install kit from Dynon, and if so, did the 7/9/10 install kit work. Or, does van's have a kit that would include all the links and rod end bearings etc.? I saw that they had some kind of kit, but it did not display a picture of what was included so I was unsure.

Or, is everything that I need already included in my 14 wing kit and I just didn't realize. I have heard that the bracket that comes with the kit does not allow for full throw of the servo and that the arm will impact on the molex connector.

I appreciate anyone's input......

Last edited by a moderator:
bringing up a question that I have not found an answer to.....

I am complete with my right wing with the exception of installing the AP Servo and the roll trim servo.....

I am going with Dynon and on their website, they have an install kit for the 7/9/10 that looks like the correct part. Question I have, for anyone that has installed the dynon AP servos, did you have to order the install kit from Dynon, and if so, did the 7/9/10 install kit work. Or, does van's have a kit that would include all the links and rod end bearings etc.? I saw that they had some kind of kit, but it did not display a picture of what was included so I was unsure.

Or, is everything that I need already included in my 14 wing kit and I just didn't realize. I have heard that the bracket that comes with the kit does not allow for full throw of the servo and that the arm will impact on the molex connector.

I appreciate anyone's input......

Hey Scott,
I ordered the install kit from Vans, everything needed and installs easily. Glad to hear you're back at it.

Excellent, thank you sir! That's what I ended up doing last night. I get to drive over and pick it up monday...... that's right.... I said pick it up! No more delivery fees! HAHAHA!!

Back