What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Better than I imagined

Harland E. [n.m. u.s.a.]

Well Known Member
When I woke up this morning I felt funny.A strange feeling in my gut that has come only when I'm about to experience something life-changing,something big,the same feeling I had the morning my son was born and on my wedding day.

Today from 3:00 to 6:00 I was to begin learning to be an aviator.Holycrap.I'm actually gonna do this.I have been looking forward to this for fifteen years but part of me never really believed it was gonna happen, for a guy like me.I mean,I'm not the stereotypical pilot-kind-of-guy and I don't come from a family of flyers,I come from a family of...well...hippies...to be truthful..and hippies arent exactly known for their flying prowess.At least not here in N.M.,[maybe Texas?].

2:45 and I'm at the airport.I sat in the bitter cold sunshine outside the F.B.O. and watched the traffic come and go.Some real high-end hardware on the ramp belonging to some very rich people who have come to Santa Fe to ski and shop,I imagine.I scanned for any sign of experimentals and found one little,lonely DragonFly way over in the corner of the apron, but no RV's today.A freekin OCEAN of Cessnas though,and that's o.k. because I have decided to love 172's. I'm spending $100 dollars an hour and it would be too difficult to do it if I didn't love them,so it's a personal decision I've made.Love the Cessnas.

3:00 and my C.F.I. has just post-flighted with his other student and sends him home and we meet for the first time.I like him right away.He cusses and spits and smokes and shucks and jives and he's my long-lost brother from another mother.Thank you God for sending me my people.This is someone I can deal with.It's very very cold so we do an accelerated pre-flight and get the heck into the cabin and out of the 20 knot winds.Here I am in the left seat of an airplane.Hundreds of hours on p.c. flightsims and thousands of hours of reading everything aviation has paid-off because I understand most of what I'm seeing in front of me.You guys know the drill..checklists..and then I'm actually touching and turning all these knobs and switches that for me have allways been in my mind's eye but never in my hand.Until now.Wow,I'm about to fly an airplane.So cool.I hope I don't kill us.I hope this guy knows what the heck he's doin so HE doesn't kill us.I hope this old airplane has had the proper attention to it so it gets us back safely.

"CLEAR!!" he shouts out the window.Darn,I wanted to say that.Allways did ,too.Maybe next time he'll let me yell it .But I do get to turn the key and the engine starts and I can FEEL it and hear it and I didnt expect that.A whole lot of info is being relayed to me by Chris and I'm getting some of it,but because I'm so freekin excited most of it is not absorbed.And then we're moving out.Bursts of power to get moving with heels on the floor and light toes on the pedals keeps me on the solid yellow line all the way to the run-up place.Alot harder than it looks,if we had been in a car on the road the cops woulda pulled me over.And those brakes are much more sensitive than I imagined.Checklists again into the wind for run-up and magcheck and then the guy in the tower tells us to leave his airport and so we do.

Chris maneuveres us into the middle of the really HUGE and WIDER THAN I EVER IMAGINED RUNWAY 2 and then tells me to take off. Is this guy nuts? I cant take off in an airplane,can I? "Rotate at 60." That means pull back on the yoke,dude.Well I'll be,it worked.I am flying and it is GOOD to be flying.We head out over to the play area which is a place I've allways known but never seen from this perspective.The lakes are frozen and the sun is going down soon so the shadows are deep and the reflections are strange and you can see how the winds from the storms have blown from different directions in the way the ice has formed.I've never seen this before.This is even better than I thought,being up here."*******es" who might be flying towards us into the sun prevent us from ever staring too long at the cool stuff below,we've gotta see them first 'cause they cant see us.

And so it goes.We move three dimesionaly through space over the very land I grew up on and it is so cool.Chris continues to tell me very important things, but I'll be honest with you, I don't recall what they were.It's just sensory overload at this point .We do my first touch and goes and pattern work just as the sun went down and then we were done.I believed I was smiling the entire time from ear-to-ear but I found out later that I had a slightly worried look on my face the entire time.I know I was definetly smiling on the inside.Go figure.As worried as I've been about how well I might do my first few times Chris tells me that I am the most natural first time pilot he has worked with and this is gonna be a cake walk for me.I figure he's insuring my future patronage.It worked though,I'm on again tomorrow with him from 11:00 to 1:00.

How have I managed to live my life so far without flying?

Last edited:
Wow! Congratulations.

Thanks for letting us join you on your first flying lesson. Takes me back to 1980 and my first time up as a student. Gotta get this project turned into an airplane...

Well done Harland. I can identify with "not being a pilot type from an aviation oriented family".
Flying is wonderful and gets much, much better as you progress through training. Then your flying goes into hyperdrive when you finish your RV.
There are many awe inspiring, and just plane silly-happy moments awaiting you when you are cruising in your own homebuilt, airborne chariot.
It is, indeed, unreal at times.

Way to go!

Congratulations Harland,

That was an excellent write up on your first flight as a student. That's exactly how I felt when I went up - sensory overload, but a place where I'd always wanted to be. Fast forward to over 10 years later for me and I can't imagine not having stuck with it - all the friends I have made, all the places I have been and things I have done after getting my PPL. You won't regret it, so stick with it.

These are indeed good times, enjoy them.

Good luck with your training,

Rob

First Flight

Harland,
Way to go BABY! Excellent. You are in for the thrill of your life. If you think that your first flight was great - wait until you Solo!!! Many milestones ahead. ENJOY.
Mike H 9A/8A

Congrats

Harland

You will find your flight training just like building a plane. Fun some days. Puzzling on other. Frustrating at time. Challenging for sure. But the end results will be worth every minute of the process. Can't wait to hear your report on that never to be forgotten SOLO..........

Congrats

Frank @ SGU RV7A last 1000000000000000000000 details

Last edited:
And so it goes.We move three dimesionaly through space over the very land I grew up on and it is so cool.Chris continues to tell me very important things, but I'll be honest with you, I don't recall what they were.It's just sensory overload at this point . .....I believed I was smiling the entire time from ear-to-ear but I found out later that I had a slightly worried look on my face the entire time.I know I was definetly smiling on the inside.

How have I managed to live my life so far without flying?

Yep.

Congrats.

flight training

Nice write up!

I actually found the training some of the most rewarding time in my aviation life. I had a good instructor who took me from zero time to PPL in a Citabria. I wasn't a natural pilot, I was taught...

I'm a new builder, and I'm half way thru the empennage kit I bought from a VAF member. I'm looking for a wing kit for a 7 if anyone knows of one...

You might want to start a Blog of your flight training. I wanted to do a website for my build, but I'm not a natural computer guy either. But, the Blogger thing is way easy. My log is kinda lame, and I'm depending on all the other great websited to help me understand certain parts of the build.

Enjoy!

freddie
http://fjledo.blogspot.com/

Harlan,

Great write-up. Congrats on your first flight. I think we can all identify with the feelings of awe (and overload) you described.

There are times when it's gonna get frustrating - like nailing that darned flare on landing or holding altitude on steep turns or keeping it level during the stall or missing those calls from the tower because you were so invlolved in landing that thing, etc. I pissed-off my instructor for not stepping on the rudder while powering out of a stall, repeatedly.

I almost quit twice, it was just apparent I wasn't cut for this. Then one day I got it. Instinctively. Magically. Kinda like driving a stick shift or rubbing your tumy while patting your head, it all becomes second nature.

Anyway, the moral of the story is stick out the frustrating times and enjoy the good times. You have many many fun times ahead of you. Congrats.

Yep, exactly...

.......and remember this: A bad day flying is much better than a good day at work!! Unless you fly for a living, that is.

Good luck,

You'll remember your solo for life

Flown jets in combat, jumped out of others etc.

Nothing compares to the day I soloed...all by my self. The sunset on the way back to the air patch made me want to rip off my T shirt and sign it right then and there. Your instructor may seem frustrated at times but he is prouder to see you suceed than you are.

Anybody have a 8mm video player so I can watch that again?

Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

Harland,
I enjoyed reading your write up. It brought back some old memories for me.

So, how'd it go today?

Blue skies,
Mark

Harlan,

That was a great and enjoyable account!

I've been taking the "long way" around getting my PPL: 2+ years now and just about finished. Also, I could kick myself for waiting until my 50s to start! But, as they say, life got in the way... You won't be sorry.

I first soloed in a Diamond DA20 at Double Eagle II (AEG) but have since been flying my instructor's Piper Cherokee at Sandia Airpark (1N1), where I also live.

I work in Santa Fe and have several times flown up to SAF on weekends for solo cross-countries.

Have the 7A preview plans and hope to start the tail feathers this summer.

Maybe we can get together some time.

--Mike

...So, how'd it go today?...
I'm guessing they may have decided it was a bit breezy today for primary training.

KSAF 302153Z 25016G21KT 10SM BKN060 01/M09 A2964 RMK AO2 SNE2055 SLP038 P0000 T00111089

I checked because it is a bit breezy here in the southern part of the state.

KCNM 302153Z AUTO 25035G44KT 10SM CLR 18/M11 A2961 RMK AO2 PK WND 26047/2101 SLP003 T01781111

Nice write up

I really resonated with the point about not being a natural pilot...I certainly wasn't...My first real crash just after I got my ticket and the frustrations during my instrument training were more proof than I need to really make me question whether I should be doing this sport.

Now...750 hours since climbing in a C152 and wondering what everything did, flying is like drinking water.

My advice is after you graduate, regularly invest in your flying...get occasional rides with an instructor or an experienced pilot you respect and do stuff you don't do very often.

I invested by getting my IFR and doing aerobatic school..Both of which have made me a LOT more competent.

All the best

Frank

No Joy today

Not only did we get a pretty good storm today but my C.F.I. came down with the bug that's sweeping through Santa Fe, so I didnt get to go.I did fuss around with the RV-7A in my garage with some new found enthusiasim though.Peace.

Too busy to worry...

Excellent! This is exactly how I remember it. I learnt to fly thousands of miles from the US and its exactly how I remember it. Life changing.

congrats

Welcome to the fraternity.. ;-)
DM
ps
your a pretty good communicator as well. If you have time, updates or blog would be fun for the rest of us to read.

Harland,

Great write up - the aviators (as opposed to pilots) out here can all identify - great 'drug' eh?

I'd also re-affirm the comments about first solo - that for me is still THE one thing. First flight of the RV was close, more nervous and technically more challenging, but first solo is still the one.....

Take your time - enjoy the ride with a big smile,

Carl

Wow

Great write up, Harland. You're going to make a terrific pilot.

I'm another one who isn't from a flying family. In fact, I soloed before my parents knew I was taking lessons. I knew they would think I was crazy and didn't want them to worry.

Have fun, it is one of the great experiences you will have.

Congrats, bro!

How did you live without flying up till now? when you say that to yourself, that's the defining moment when you realize that you were BORN to do this. Now you've done it...now your existence gets narrowed down to two modes:

-Life when I'm flying
-On the ground thinkinb about flying.

everything else is in between.

Awesome write up dude!

Art Treff

Awesome story!

Make me want to finish my plane even faster.

I had to laugh at....
Chris tells me that I am the most natural first time pilot he has worked with and this is gonna be a cake walk for me.I figure he's insuring my future patronage.
because the exact thing happened on my intro flight many years ago (1977)
The next instructor who was not the program salesman flight instructor, said don't listen to him, I am going to make you work for it. I did miss the moment of flattery thinking I was a natural, but I believe I became a better pilot having to LEARN it all, instead of just being gifted.

HAVE A BLAST and...........

Harland E. [n.m. u.s.a.]; said:
I did fuss around with the RV-7A in my garage with some new found enthusiasim though.Peace.
OK, you gotta explain this. First flight lesson, but RV-7A in the garage (what stage is it at?).:confused:

Hey Ralph

Yeah.....I know.It's just that once I got interested in aviation and knew I had to fly I realised that the expense was going to be prohibitive.The research I did over the years made it pretty obvious that a certified aircraft was going to be out of my reach making my decision to build my only choice .The fact that more Vans aircraft had been purchased and completed than any other kit aircraft,and Vans reputation ,and the ability to purchase in subkits and finally lurking around VansAirforce long enough sealed the deal. I knew that I could get my lisence over a short period of time and that it would be years of building, so I had better start building immediately.Does that make any sense?We are currently starting the fuel tank on the left wing,empennage is complete including fiberglass.We plan on IO-360 ,constant speed blended airfoil prop,night V.F.R dual Dynons with VerticalPower electrical system and Garmin 396 or 496.

I started building my RV-10 before I started my PPL training. PPL took 3 months. Plane is at 4 years and two months so far. Hopefully it will be flying by my four year PPL anniversary which is March 26.

part done kit, and part done PPL. Go for it.

OK, you gotta explain this. First flight lesson, but RV-7A in the garage (what stage is it at?).:confused:

Now, now, it's not as rare as you't think!

I'm halfway throught my PPL, myself. Lots of unpowered landings though, and time in small planes. Very few actual landings in small planes, though

As when I started skydiving, every "first" is a whole new round of "pucker".
First flight.
First solo.
First hour of hood time.
First solo x-country.
And I'm loving it, pucker and all.

I'm taking a couple months off the flying due to a leg injury - nearly broke my fool neck at a kid's Christmas party, pretending I was seven again.
Conveniently enough, the weather should be a bit warmer when my leg is all better...

Blue Skies,

Harland's First Flight Lesson

Hey Harland,
It's me, your RV-7A building partner! Great story telling, I didn't know you had it in you. A really interesting, free flowing narrative style. I mean it! Don't know if you know this but I'm a published writer and former magazine editor (that's why I'm an anal retentive speller) and thus was impressed with your style as well as entertained by your content. I feel like a proud second father to you in addition to being a peer plane builder and film maker.

Next time we'll work on your spelling for your SOLO flight article.
Keep 'em flying!

Back