What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel pressure, or not

Craig

Well Known Member
I'm building an RV-8 with an IO360 engine. I have an EIS from Grand Rapids, and the fuel flow transducer.

I have a fuel pressure transducer on hand, but do I really need to install it?

My Bonanza has one, but they use it as a replacement for a fuel flow gauge.

On one hand, the more information you have, the better. On the other hand, installing it means more places to leak, more fuel area to heat up in the engine compartment, etc. What good information would I be getting from fuel pressure?

Craig

Depends

IIRC, as you have FI you will need to be able to display Fuel Pressure as a requirement. If your Grand Rapids EI has this already, then no need to duplicate this as many fuel flow senders also read pressure - just depends on the unit.

Rob,

I don't understand IIRC. Is that computerese?

What requirement? Is there a part 91 reg?

Craig

GRT Fuel Pressure

Fuel pressure appears to require a separate sensor ($35 option) in addition to fuel flow if I've read the GRT EIS info on the GRT website correctly.

Don't own one-just surfing at this point. Maybe a GRT owner can chime in.

Regards,
Mike

Thanks,

I have the sensor.

What I'm wondering is: What good will it do me to install it?

I will have fuel flow indications from the flowscan flow sensor. From that I can tell if the pump is working, and in combination with the GPS 430, what the endurance is.

What good information will fuel pressure give me that I can't live without?

Craig

Fuel Pressure for FI

With Bendix or Airflow fuel injection systems, inlet fuel pressure is very important. The reason is that if you are looking at fuel flow only, the fuel flow will stay constant as fuel pressure drops. When fuel pressure gets to the point where there is insufficient pressure to operate the fuel injection system, the engine quits. You have no warning. If you have a fuel pressure indication you can respond by turning the boost pump or take other action if the pressure starts dropping or fluctuating. This will be before there is any deterioration in engine performance.

Don

Back