What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How old were you when you built your first homebuilt

pierre smith

Well Known Member
I thought that I'd start this thread in parallel to the current one, asking how many young builders we have.

I was 26 when I started building my Cassutt F-1 racer and flew it in 1974, at age 29, raced it in Evansville, Ind. over the river. Actually placed third and got paid $400.:)
buildingcassuttvj8.jpg

Regards,

Last edited:
Started building my 6A when I was 40, flew it for the first time when I was 50. Lots of life's responsibilities in between.

Was 29

First flew my 42 ft. span Duster sailplane in 1977 when I was 29.

No engine makes building easier...
But 42 ft. of wooden wing skins is a lot of sanding/finishing, and high speed orbital sanders weren't available then...:)

gil A

The glider - N33GA - is still around in Yerrington, NV. but I don't know it's status.

Back in those ancient days the FAA even did the pre-cover inspections themselves.

Started working on my 9A two years ago. I was 45 at the time. I see at least another year and half, maybe two before its done.

I was 24 when I started building. I was 25 when I flew my RV-8A for the first time, 14 June 2007! I finished in a year and three months, 1110 hours of building. Now I'm 26 and have 104+ hours flying her. I did my transition training through Alex DeDominicis in his RV-6 and RV-10. My inspection was done by Mel Asberry. My insurance is with Global Aerospace through NationAir. Danny King flew chase on my first flight in his "Beautiful Doll". And Doug Reeves snapped a bunch of pictures of my first flight, one of which ended up in the Van's Aircraft 2008 Calander for August... I'm based out of Northwest Regional Airport, 52F, in the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas area.

flight039zd0.jpg

Last edited:
Still young at heart

Started building my 7A in July 2005, when I was 53. First flight will be this year (as soon as I get my prop).

Got my PPL 5 days before my 18th birthday
Started building first plane @ age 37
bought first plane @ age 41 (1946 Cessna 140)
flew my -6A @ age 44

Restored first vintage Auster (British 1946 4 seater) at 19 second at 21 first homebuilt (mustang II) at 25 (not yet finished) and RV7 completed and flying at 38.

Now planning on pulling the mustang back out of my Dads garage and completing it

Peter

It was the seventies...

I was 38 when I pounded my first rivet on our 7-A.And Pierre,where can I find some of those fabulous pants?:D

....when we wore bellbottoms too.! Did you notice that the wing was in the living room? The living room was in an unused bedroom!

Also had just finished my first year as an Ag pilot, flying a backpack PA-18-150 spraying two lakes in Georgia all summer long for mosquitoes...courtesy Army Corp of Engineers.

Regards,

I was 27 when I finished my first homebuilt--- a VAN's RV-4 (back when VAN shipped bauxite :)). I think I was the 12th or 14th one finished,and the first one to SNF. Things sure were different back then. One of the old judges there put his arm around me, walked me away from my airplane, told me I was too young to have built a metal airplane, and that I should get one of the older guys to show it for me! I was so fuming mad that I almost came home. But it was Winter in Cleveland, Ohio, so I stayed a little longer to enjoy the sunshine (SNF was much earlier in the year back then). And I had just accomplished one of my life's dreams--- to build my own airplane!
MY sincerest compliments to those who constantly encourage the younger generation to get involved in aviation, and especially experimental aviation. It will yield a lifetime of memories and friends. It's nice to see those threads pop up here once in a while.

Vic

Pulsar XP @ 33

I was 33 when the Pulsar XP was started. It took 3 years to finish, both of my sons really enjoyed helping out during the building process. The Pulsar was mostly composite, only the flaps and ailerons were metal. Although the Pulsar was a joy to fly the building bug bit me again so the RV was the next logical choice. We wanted something faster, IFR capable and the idea of building a metal plane intrigued me. We have been flying N715AB (RV7A) for almost 3 years and have close to 400 enjoyable hours flying around the states. My next project will be rag and tube, mainly because that will round out my goal of building a plane utilizing each of the 3 building materials.

pulsarpy3.jpg

Gary

started at 36, would have finished at 38. things changed. should finish at 40. im 40 now. if it aint done by september .....its for sale.;)

Not a youngster

I started building my RV-8A at age 60. If things go as planned it will fly in May. I will be 2 months past my 63rd birthday

hmmmm...

started a Sonerai partially built project at age 29, finished the Sonerai and test flew when I was 31. Bought a Skybolt at age 32; restored it age 33. Started my -8 at age 35 and finished at age 38. I need another project to celebrate my big 4-0 this year!

Somewhere in between I managed to own a J-3 and an Acrosport and grab lots of free PIC time ferrying friends' planes around...

Not all completed

I started my first homebuilt when I was 14 (1972). My father used to bring home magazines about homebuilt airplanes, some of which I still have, that inspired me. I bought the plans and some spruce for a KR-1. I did not have enough knowledge (plans were skimpy) or resorces to complete. Still have wood pcs stored in the basement.

The second attempt was started at 16 with my dad, a Pober Pixie. We go a little further along on this one. The fuselage was welded up and the ribs were started. I even entered it in the 4H fair as a project. Girls, flying and an education got in the way. Status today, the fuselage has been scrapped due to corrosion, the ribs and spruce spars are in the basement.

The thrid attempt was started after I finished collage. A crop duster friend and I bought a partially completed Monneri saileplane kit. I ended up with it and completed 60% of it. It hung from my garage ceiling for years. After I started my RV-6 I sold it to a soaring buddy who already had one Monneri and wanted another.

The fourth attempt is my RV-6, started in 1994 when I was 36. I am now 50 and the plane will fly this spring. The FWF has been completed, the wings are at the airport, I expect to start final assembly at the airport in April. I never gave up in 36 years that I would one day build an airplane.

If at first you do not succeed try, try, try and try again.

PS: This will not be my only one.

I started my RV7A last December at the age of 47. I have been trying to get started for over 25 years now, but with unsupportive wife, kids and the like, well you know. Now with new wonderful wife, kids grown, it is great to work on that dream. We will be going down to Van?s to pick up the wing kit next week.
My father is working with me on the plane and it one of the greatest experiences I have ever had. Woo Hoo

Memory Enhancement

I started my RV-6a when I had just turned 64. She sure does fly nice and one of the best decisions I ever made.

BTW, for you older guys contemplating a build, this thing definitely helps your brain and memory, it did mine. Or something made an improvement... It def does one thing and teaches you to think outside the box... waaaaaaaayyyy outside!

GO for it!!!

Jerry

Do ultralghts count?

I built and flew three ultralights when I was 34 years old.
My first RV6 I started at 48. My first flight in it was when I turned 50. Since then I have built 3 more and one Kit Super Cub.

Still Flying

I started my RV 6A kit in 1990 when I retired at age 60. Wonderful retirement project. I disappeared down the basement steps to work on the kit and wasn't available to coach my wife on how she should reorganize her kitchen for about three years. Still flying with about 1260 hours on the hobbs.

Frank Russell
N18FR

Last edited:
I restored my Stinson 108-1 @ age 30-32
I restored my Belanca 7ACA @ age 35-36
I built my RV4 @ age 40-47 and it is the best yet!

Rebuilt a Pietenpol Aircamper at 22, finished a Long-Eze at 28, Stearman rebuild at 33, Stinson 108-1 rebuild at 42, started the RV-9 at 49.

Back