What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weathermeister.com User Question

mrreddick

Well Known Member
I've emailed weathermeister but after several days, no response!
My question was concerning the TFR tab. If you have a standard subscription in lieu of the Premium service, can you look up active
TFR's?
The comparision chart for the different levels of service talk about
getting email updates whenever a TFR pops up but I'm interested
in doing that.
Any current user wish to clarify this for me?

Thanks!

Since I have premium I can not comment on the TFR tab differences based on service level.

I can tell you that the TFR e-mail is useful. In my case I get them sent to my phone. Just a couple days ago I was notofied of one that closed my field for a short time due to law enforcement activities. They were chasing bank robbers or something in the area.

Then I was notified that the TFR had been lifted, again by email, and even before the tower knew. Pretty cool.

Great technology use and a weather site I dont leave home with out.
Best,

Who can issue TRFs?

I can tell you that the TFR e-mail is useful. In my case I get them sent to my phone. Just a couple days ago I was notofied of one that closed my field for a short time due to law enforcement activities. They were chasing bank robbers or something in the area.

Since when could local law enforcement issue a Federal TFR? Did I miss something? How are we going to get that nightly TV news coverage of the chase? Next will be the mayor of my town getting a TFR because his kid wanted to fly his kite.

Since when could local law enforcement issue a Federal TFR? Did I miss something? How are we going to get that nightly TV news coverage of the chase? Next will be the mayor of my town getting a TFR because his kid wanted to fly his kite.

Very common for law enforcement, fire fighting, etc. to call up the center and request a TFR. The Center is the controlling agency for the airspace, and are the ones who actually issue it.

Nathan Larson
Olathe, KS
RV9E Flying
CFII S/ATCS ZKC

NOTE: if moderators want to delete this post, please go ahead...don't mean to use this forum as "Weathermeister Support."

Mike, sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I sent an email a little earlier. Here's the scoop:

The TFR page on Weathermeister shows all active (and soon-to-be active) TFRs that are published by the FAA. It is available to *ALL* subscribers regardless of the type of subscription plan in which they're enrolled.

"TFRs on the route map" is available to all subscribers as well.

Keeps getting better Dan!

Hey Dan, I'd never dream of deleting useful posts!;)

I love the additions and refinements you've made in the past quarter or so - i wasn't even aware of the Flight Plan Filing page, and the TFR email alerts were also news to me...guess that shows you how much attention I pay to he "announcements"....sorry!:eek:

True story - One of my Capcoms (trained as military helicopter test pilot) saw me looking at WMeister last month, and immediately signed up! He then went in and put the performance data in for the T-38. When it came up with a "best fuel" altitude from Houston to El Paso at 4500', we figured that you hadn't optimized it for turbojets.....Next revision maybe?:D

Paul

Nuther true story...

I gave one of my buddies a web demo of Weathermeister - this person shall remain nameless, as he is an FSS employee. He said that Weathermeister in many respects is far better info than even they have and it is certainly displayed better. He couldn't believe the simplicity in format and he drooled at the best speed best economy altitudes - they literally have to figure out that stuff in their heads on the fly when a pilot asks. His software for determining a best altitude for flight if asked by a pilot - brain power only.

I am sold on Weathermeister as much as I am sold on XM weather in my 396. I drank the Kool Aid and am now a believer.

Kudos to you, Dan.

Rob

True Believer

I am also sold that Weathermeister is the best single source for flight planning weather. Best parts are the color coding through out all displays and altitude optimizer. Color coding makes checking NOTAMs, and METARS very quick and easy.

One improvement would be replacing the Skyvector map with Dave Parsons "Runwayfinder.com" maps. I use that website all the time to find restuarants and hotels with the Google search feature at any airport location. Also there is athe ability to flip from sectional chart to Google map to satelite image. Helps get a mental picture of how to find an unfamilar airport before even leaving the ground.

NOTE: if moderators want to delete this post, please go ahead...don't mean to use this forum as "Weathermeister Support."

Mike, sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I sent an email a little earlier. Here's the scoop:

The TFR page on Weathermeister shows all active (and soon-to-be active) TFRs that are published by the FAA. It is available to *ALL* subscribers regardless of the type of subscription plan in which they're enrolled.

"TFRs on the route map" is available to all subscribers as well.

Dan,

Thanks for the response here and by private email. Thought maybe you were out of pocket so I reached out to the RV community in hopes of getting my question answered.
After reviewing your latest version, I will be signing up! Great site that offers all I need to know. I don't pay for internet service to my cellphone so the TFR notifications don't interest me but being able to see what's active when I'm planning a flight is great and keeps me from having to go to yet another site to get all the info I need!

Thanks!

Back