What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New RV-3B photo album

randylervold

RV-3ers,
We have another RV-3B photo album to peruse: Fred Bauer Jr. has put up a Picasa album here. I've added him to the list of sites/albums here.

Fred, looks like you're doing some really interesting things there. In particular your canopy looks like a new idea... looks like a tipover but done with at least a portion of it fixed? And I take my hat off to you for getting those metal cowl cheek extensions to fit.

Where did you get that double pipe heat muff?

Beautiful workmanship and attention to detail, Fred. Also a nice job working a lot of details in very cramped quarters.

Rob

dual pipe heat muff

We purchased the 2 pipe cabin heat muff from "Robbins Wings", they also have a single heat muff (see the carb heat picture). They are very well made and seem to fit within the cowling. His address is www.robbinswings.com

Thanks for the kind words.

I have gotten so many helpfull hints from Randy Lervolds website we felt we should try to share what we are doing in the same spirit he has shown.

Yes, we are making 2 swappable canopy frames, (by pulling the hinge pin) 1 open cockpit and 1 standard bubble. I think an RV4 done this way would be too cool.
We even had Oregon Aero install electric seat heaters into our seat, (thanks again Randy).

I am also a repeat offender, my father saw the RV4 when it first was designed and we built one for him, s/n 37. Little did I realize how much pain we would go through being one of the early RV4 builders, most of this pain was repeated with the RV3B, YUK!

Last edited:
snip...Yes, we are making 2 swappable canopy frames, (by pulling the hinge pin) 1 open cockpit and 1 standard bubble. ...snip

Hi Fred!

This is exactly what I was hoping to build. I'm really looking forward to see how yours ends up.

Best,
dr

2 canopys

Yes, I think the open cockpit option will be fun.
A few years ago I had a helicopter and untill it drove me to the poor house I really enjoyed flying around with the doors off, (wind in the face).:D

I enjoyed flying even more when it was warm out to be flying around slow enough to actually see something.

No one says you have to have the throttle wide open all of the time and I thought this would be the next best thing to what I experienced in the helicopter.

Last edited:
Back