What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need a little advice here on "AOA's"

NYTOM

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed their "AOA" sensors in the same wing rib bay as the landing light? It would make any service on them easier with the tip removed but I was wondering if there's some unseen problem here. Also the plans state not to install them too close to the wing tip but don't give any minimum dimensions. I'm planning on installing the light on the outside edge of the bay and the sensors on the inside as far from the lens as possible. Do you think I'm good to go?

Good to Go

That is exactly like mine are installed. I have no problems with the AoA being influenced by the landing light. Airflow is pretty streamwise and therefore it is OK.

I exchanged emails with Rob Hickman about this issue on my 7A. He said NO PROBLEM putting the AoA probe behind the Duckworths light.

Jekyll

Last edited:
My friend's -8 has an AOA port installed in his outboard bay near the tip and he has a Duckworks light there as well. I had the opportunity to fly his -8 and try out the AOA. It worked as advertised, no problems at all.

Other than that soothing voice screaming at you in the flare as you stall for landing, I thought it was a great feature and would love to have one on my -8.

Excellent News

Just the response I was hoping for. Thank you all.
By the way Phil I guess I didn't take enough pictures of your plane at Oshkosh otherwise I wouldn't have had to ask for this advice. Alfa X-ray was definitely one of the nicest 6A's on the field. ;)

Another hijack of thread as it seems to be completed. :p

How did you do that hole (and mechanism) on the lower skin to drain water from upper "sensor"? Everything else in these AOAs seems to be clear but this is something I haven't figured too well...

I found one page where was this hole (which is the easy part) but how exactly do the draining...

Draining upper AoA Port

The upper and lower ports are offset spanwise by a few inches. On the lower skin, directly below the upper port, I put a small hole just large enough to put stick a pin (made from one of the hinge pins) up into the wind and push on the drain valve (just a fuel drain) installed on the bottom of the upper port. The water will just run down the pin and out the hole. I did not use the large plunger looking thing supplied with the kit.

.......How did you do that hole (and mechanism) on the lower skin to drain water from upper "sensor"?........
The same AOA installed in my -6A includes a spring loaded assembly that slightly protrudes from the lower skin. You simply depress it the same way you would a fuel quick drain. The AOA fitted to the -8 is a slightly different iteration. This one includes a length of pin that is inserted into a small hole the builder drills into the lower wing skin to fish for and reach the upper "sensor." From time to time my -6A has been subjected to rain showers in flight and a couple of driving rains while tied up outside. I have yet to observe any moisture collect in those AOA components.

Back