What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8A First Flight

N661DJ

Well Known Member
N391DJ first flight today, All went as expected, Trimed out well.(Hands off) More elevator back pressure needed to flair than my 6. Will take a little getting use to, or perhaps a little rear baggage balast??
Dick Jason

Congratulations, Dick!

I've flown Danny King's RV-8 solo and agree with your comparison between flaring the -6 vs the -8. Different feel.

Way to go, again!!!

b,
dr

Congrats

Dick,

Congratulations. I know you'll enjoy the -8. By the way, I know a great paint shop when you're ready.;)

More elevator back pressure needed to flair than my 6. Will take a little getting use to, or perhaps a little rear baggage balast??

Dick,

Congratulations on your first flight!

FYI - I found my RV-8 the same in terms of inability to trim out stick forces at speeds below 95mph. Don't hesitate to use some ballast. A number of folks do. I spoke with Vans and they always use about 25# of ballast in their -8A demonstrator.

Generally when I fly solo, I have a 5 gallon water jug lashed down in the baggage area and it makes quite a difference in handling qualities at low speed and reduces the need for so much back pressure. I could locate my small Odyssey battery back there, but it is so light that it would not have been enough anyway. With this condition it really provides you with more options to load 2 up for long trips and lots of baggage.

Last edited:
Back