What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control cable diameter?

Iluke

Well Known Member
Could someone please tell me the OD of the throttle and mixture cables Van supplies? I want to go ahead and install the "eyeball" firewall penetrations now while I still have easy access. Looking at them on Aircraft Spruce, I see they come in different sizes.

thanks

Ivan

Looks to be a bit over 1/4" or .3" with the sheathing.

EDIT: I believe I purchased the 1/4" eyeballs and had to ream them out a bit for fit.

Last edited:
Why not just get the right size to start with?

http://www.doubleteeproducts.com/

This is the company that makes them for Vans and if you call, he'll make you a set that fits Vans cables exactly. I have never understood why Vans continues to sell grommets that don't fit their cables. Maybe someone can explain that to me? :confused:

I have mine right here since I'm making a custom firewall pass through. They are basically .275" diameter. They vary down the length from .265 to .285 but mostly .275.

Bill-
Thanks very much. What did you end up doing? Oversizing the eyeball or stripping the sheath?

Hi Ivan,
I chose to strip the sheath in the local area of the pass thru eye. I wanted to make sure the eyeball had a good grip on the metal cable since polymers are known to creep even under low loads, especially at elevated temperatures. X-acto worked fine. Casual observer can't tell.

On a related subject, you might find via searching that the all aluminum eyes with the the blue anodised nut have been reported to gall and be very hard to remove. Maybe choose the ones with the four hole flanges.

One more thing. I only used one eyeball. That was for the prop gov. The throttle and mixture cables went through the stainless tube and firesleeve type penetrations since they were not at an angle to the firewall.

Last edited:
Hi Ivan,
I chose to strip the sheath in the local area of the pass thru eye. I wanted to make sure the eyeball had a good grip on the metal cable since polymers are known to creep even under low loads, especially at elevated temperatures. X-acto worked fine. Casual observer can't tell.

On a related subject, you might find via searching that the all aluminum eyes with the the blue anodised nut have been reported to gall and be very hard to remove. Maybe choose the ones with the four hole flanges.

One more thing. I only used one eyeball. That was for the prop gov. The throttle and mixture cables went through the stainless tube and firesleeve type penetrations since they were not at an angle to the firewall.

Thanks much!

Back