Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-20-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcondrey View Post
Actually, there are no preview plans for the RV-10 and later models, the plans on USB are the same as the build plans.
Depends on how define the term preview plans I guess.....

The standard process is that with the purchase of an individual kit such as an RV-10 Empanage / Tail Cone, the only plans the builder receives is the ones that pertain to building that kit. That is why purchasing the preview plans is required. It gives the builder the opportunity to look ahead (pre-view) to other manual sections and have an understanding of how the assembly they are building fits into the big picture.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 09-20-2019, 11:56 PM

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned is that with the order of each kit, you get *the latest* plans in full-size. It doesn't happen often, but occasionally one or a few of the plans get updated to a new version, and your preview plans will be out of date.

That said, I found the printed version to be very useful. I oftentimes prefer paper versions of things so that I can flip between pages, etc. I'm certainly not computer illiterate or a troglodyte , but there are times when paper can be better for me. Easier to scribble notes on, as well.

If they don't work for you, stick the binder on the shelf and add it to your collection of airplane manuals, binders, installation manuals, maintenance logs, etc., etc.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:41 AM

Thanks that really clears things up. I’m a bit tech challenged so the flash drive doesn’t work for me. I only own iPads and I don’t think a thumb drive can plug in. However, I like paper. I still prefer flying with paper charts when I can. Thanks for all the good input though. I didn’t find the info on the vans website very clear. I think I will be ordering the preview plans this weekend!

Last edited by Bruinpilot : 09-21-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinpilot View Post
Thanks that really clears things up. Iím a bit tech challenged so the flash drive doesnít work for me. I only own iPads and I donít think a thumb drive can plug in. However, I like paper. I still prefer flying with paper charts when I can. Thanks for all the good input though. I didnít find the info on the vans website very clear. I think I will be ordering the preview plans this weekend!
A suggestion...I screwed binder clips into the wall of the shop so that I could hang 4 full-size plans sheets up at a time. Made it *much* easier to look at them while building, and took them off of the benches and other horizontal surfaces (plus saved having to sort through the roll to get the ones you need, and kept them in reasonably good shape). As one sheet become unneeded as the build progressed, the next one would go up.

When you're in the middle of a task, it's much easier to turn and look at the plans than either a) find them, unroll them on some random nearby flat surface, and waste time looking, or b) opening up a laptop and scrolling around to find what you need.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:03 PM

Good idea. I need some wallpaper in my garage, might as well make it Aircraft plans!
Old 09-22-2019, 01:02 AM

Some of these posts indicate you must get preview plans but that is not necessarily correct.

If your building a 10 12 or 14 there is no requirement to order preview plans. In fact your only option for these models would be to get the PDFs if you want a preview. Hard copies for these models will ship with the kits and are 11x17.

You can definitely get the PDFs onto an iPad and that is a very popular way of reading drawings these days.

For those who are comfortable on a laptop or tablet, the PDFs are much more useful than paper. I think the only thing you can do with the paper drawings that you canít do with the PDFs is make a paper airplane.
Practice Airfoil - Complete
Emp Kit - Building Vert Stab!!! WOOHOOO
Old 09-22-2019, 08:02 AM

You can transfer the plans/drawings etc from the USB to an IPad using Kindle books (probably a lot of different ways, but that’s what I use). Paper copies stay in shop, electronic ones elsewhere.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7A Flyer View Post
A suggestion...I screwed binder clips into the wall of the shop so that I could hang 4 full-size plans sheets up at a time.
Thatís a great idea! Just starting the wings and there is a lot of fumbling between drawings compared to the tail.

Uh-oh - mission creep.... 4 LCD monitors, each displaying a different drawing? One of those new wall size displays, with motivational flying videos as a screen saver?