What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B exempt

Harvey rv12

Well Known Member
Can I build an airplane today, with no electrical system, and be considered exempt from the transponder & ADS-B requirement ?. Looking for guidance from DAR's and other experts.

14 CFR 91.225(e)??any aircraft that was not originally certificated with an electrical system, or that has not subsequently been certified with such a system installed, including balloons and gliders.?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Thank you for the prompt response.
Dale, can you describe your project/engine?
The project is a Fisher Celebrity. Engine is undetermined at this point, probably won't know for several years. Most likely some flavor of Continental.

Thank you for the prompt response.
Dale, can you describe your project/engine?

Not Dale but I have read his post.

If you don't install an engine driven alternator or generator on your engine, you are OK. You can add a wind driven generator, battery, solar panels, etc. and as long the electricity is not produced by the engine you can go inside a Mode C veil, clear of the Bravo.

You can even go in a Delta, with a radio (or by prearrangement - phone call).
I forget if you can go in a Charlie.

One thing, if your Cub was "Subsequently certified with an electrical system", you can't remove it and go inside a Mode C veil. It is a one-way street.

Continental O-200

By omitting the alternator in a Continental O-200, do you just cap-off the opening where the alternator went ?, using a blank plate?.

Back