What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying into Canada without landing

jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
Say if a guy plans a flight from Port Huron, MI over Canada to Rochester, NY (Niagara Falls area) what things should he be prepared for? Should I file a VFR flight plan or just ask for flight following? but then what? What radio contacts should I be prepared to make once over Canada. Does CA charge a fee? I suppose if I have to make an emergency landing in CA then it would get dicey unless I just do the planning beforehand for the contingency.

Advice, comments?

Jim
Howell, MI
RV9a

Say if a guy plans a flight from Port Huron, MI over Canada to Rochester, NY (Niagara Falls area) what things should he be prepared for? Should I file a VFR flight plan or just ask for flight following? but then what? What radio contacts should I be prepared to make once over Canada. Does CA charge a fee? I suppose if I have to make an emergency landing in CA then it would get dicey unless I just do the planning beforehand for the contingency.

Advice, comments?

Jim
Howell, MI
RV9a

Or similar - flying from Washington state into Alaska... same scenario.

Just file a VFR flight plan and away you go. There won't be any charge from Nav Canada. Same deal for us Canadians flying over the US to another Canadian destination. When I file a VFR flight plan from Ottawa to Halifax, I'm assigned a transponder code and automatically get flight following. Each controller will just hand you off to the next one. I wind up talking to:

- Ottawa Terminal
- Montreal Center
- Boston Center
- Moncton Center
- Halifax Terminal

It is all choreographed for you, just change freqs when told, tell them you are there, and that's it. Dead simple.

However, if you need to land, you better have your passport with you and land at a facility with Customs on site if at all possible. Also, you might have to sit around a couple days as I think you will have to file an eAPIS thing to get back into the US, although I could be wrong there on the timing and whether it is required for Americans returning to the US...

I've flown that route many times going to and from Oshkosh. As previously offered, always file a VFR flight plan. I've never had to make an uplanned landing in Canada, but I have heard it can be messy. Sometimes I have used flight following. New York or Michigan will seamlessly hand you off to the appropriate Canadian controllers. Very easy.

Advice, comments?

Jim
Howell, MI
RV9a

Jim I cut that corner multiple times. Filed, followed or neither. It's a normal VFR flight just stay out of humming airspaces. Better go higher. The only difference is, if you talk to a Canadian ATC on any occasion, even on the phone to NavCanada, expect a bill for seventeen Canadian bux within a quarter. Not a big sum but that's how the system works. :)

When you file, best to tell them it is an international flight plan, otherwise if nature calls and you need to land for this or other unforseen reasons, it will have less complications.

And leave your guns at home.
While flying over Canada and you have to make an emergency landing on Canada, you could find yourself in a world of hurt if you have weapons on board

And leave your guns at home.
While flying over Canada and you have to make an emergency landing on Canada, you could find yourself in a world of hurt if you have weapons on board

Less pain however than becoming part of the food chain as a food source for bears.:D

Jim I cut that corner multiple times. Filed, followed or neither. It's a normal VFR flight just stay out of humming airspaces. Better go higher. The only difference is, if you talk to a Canadian ATC on any occasion, even on the phone to NavCanada, expect a bill for seventeen Canadian bux within a quarter. Not a big sum but that's how the system works. :)

Hey Vlad

So I guess Nav Canada charges US aircraft for overflights when you talk to ATC? I didn't know that. I stand corrected...

Less pain however than becoming part of the food chain as a food source for bears.:D

I totally agree with that, however getting back into the United States with that weapon is the hard part. You will need to prove to US Customs that it is not Canadian firearm being imported into the US. Without a Canadian permit that is hard to prove.

:cool: CJ

Hey Vlad

So I guess Nav Canada charges US aircraft for overflights when you talk to ATC? I didn't know that. I stand corrected...

Yes Mark any interaction with any NavCanada personnel on any occasion and you are billed quarterly. Always the same amount for private aircrafts. They were accepting US bank checks till recently. Now either cc or funds in Can$.

Yes Mark any interaction with any NavCanada personnel on any occasion and you are billed quarterly. Always the same amount for private aircrafts. They were accepting US bank checks till recently. Now either cc or funds in Can$.

I think I would be perfectly happy to pay the ~$17 for IFR handling through Canadian airspace rather than flying VFR with no flight following.

I think I would be perfectly happy to pay the ~$17 for IFR handling through Canadian airspace rather than flying VFR with no flight following.

I believe you need a VFR flight plan to cross the border and if NavCanada has it I bet you get quarterly billing. :)

I think they also charge the CA equivalent of State Tax and that depends on where you cross the border. Save a buck or two and cross in Alberta....:)

I cut across every year on the way to OSH and return, always use flight following, never got a bill.

VFR flight plan required in Canada, but last year I forgot and there were no repercussions. Like a lot of things, it will only be an issue if there is an incident.

Good advice to carry passport, just in case.

A few years ago flew across Canada to Alaska in both directions. Had a firearm in case of forced landing. Never an issue. Just let customs know about it.

Go to AOPA website. They have a whole section on this.

Yes, if you are going to land in Canada, you must use eAPIS.

Hmmmm. What else. Oh yeah, sing Oh Canada as you cross the border.

IACO

When I flew from KORS to PAPG, originally filed the correct IACO VFR flight plan. It was required (2017): however when I took off and was able to reach the Bellingham RCO, they said the system was not working yet and they re-filed the IACO as a Domestic VFR.

For the 2017 flight, had to be in contact with ATC when crossing the border. Flight following was a great option.

You will need a radiotelephone operator license, and one for your airplane as well. 1st time you can get a temporary for your plane. Cost is around $250 for the airplane lifetime license that you will need to keep in the airplane, can't remember what the personal cost was. Everything can be done on the internet.

Basic Med or Medical? Just re-newed my class III because of an upcoming over-flight through Canada this coming summer. Basic Med could be an issue. What happens if you have a problem and need to land? Without a FAA Medical will you be able to take-off?

BTW-Did the Canadians change the payment rules? Last time I flew, since I didn't land, the fees did not apply. No Bill for the 2017 flight.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

They don?t seem to mind shotguns in Canada. There was a fee ($25 or so) but that gave me peace of mind that I would not be on the bottom of the food chain.

Back