What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9? What am I thinking?

You will definitely want a pneumatic rivet squeezer. I?ve heard the DRDT-2 dimpler is very nice to have as well.

Merry Christmas all. Hoping to get a little startup help. I?m shopping for a tool kit to get started on my project. There?s quite a few recommended companies on the Vans website, and they all seem to offer ?the best deal.? Was hoping somebody could help me choose one to get me started. Will I need all the tools up front to begin the empennage? Was looking at Brown Tool deluxe RV kit for $1699 (item #DLXRV-2X). Will that get me through the initial kit? Is this more/less than I need for the empennage? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Rich

Rich, I'm about 80% through my RV-9 empennage, and I must say that you'll need pretty much all the tools at some time or another, plus you'll also end up with others that you think up along the way. Main Squeeze is a definite must, and in my opinion I'm happy hand squeezing over pneumatics, but it's all personal preference. I also found some super handy little detail sanders from ATS, which are great for getting into tight little spots to de-burr. I bought a lot of tools in dribs & drabs, which then cost me time and freight, so I recommend buying a good set early on. Cleaveland dimple dies are good, but expensive, though their all-in-one rivet gauge is great. Invest in stacks of scotchbrite, and putting a 6" wheel on a bench grinder makes things go really quickly, especially when trimming rudder and elevator skin stiffeners. I bought a 5" hand shear (cost me about AU$90), which I much prefer to use over snips when I can - it's a dead straight clean cut with minimal curling. Definitely include chucking reamers (#30 & #40) as these do give nice clean holes compared to drills. These are my preferred tools for the pre-punched hole enlarging.

You'll find the Brown kit would suit your needs in that it will enable you to build the plane, however as others have mentioned there are some other tools that just give certain jobs more "polish" or are easier to use, but will cost more.

There's lot of tools you'll use all the time - drill bits, deburrer's, dimples, cleco pliers but others you'll only pick up occasionally like fluting pliers or countersink bits. Having said that it's always nicer being able to reach for the right tool, than to be wondering how to do the job properly without it.

Then there's the extra's, like electrical tools and spray painting equipment (assuming you'll prime) which aren't mentioned in the tool kits, not to mention consumables like scotchbrite and sandpaper. Stein sell good quality electrical tools like crimpers and wire strippers. Spray equipment is it's own topic.

You will definitely want a pneumatic rivet squeezer. I’ve heard the DRDT-2 dimpler is very nice to have as well.

Neither are required. I built my entire plane with an Avery's hand squeezer and a C-Frame dimpler.

The DRDT-2 Doesn't give you "crisp" dimples like whacking a C-frame does.

This is one of those things that some people love and others hate. You will have to make up your own mind.

Personally, I wouldn't buy either and spend the money on 2X and 3X rivet gun. The 2X works great when there are only two skins to rivet together and the 3X works great for when there is more structure involved. The reason I like the 2X gun is that it is very unlikely to dent your skins.

Other things I would suggest is to buy an angle drill adapter or a small head angle drill, and three micro stops. One for #30, one for #40, and one for everything else. I can't tell you how much time I wasted adjusting mine each time I changed countersinks.

Not to worry, you will continue to buy tools, even well after you are flying!

Last edited:
I will also recommend the DRDT tool. I found the dimples produced with it using Cleaveland dies to be very good and very consistent. And you don’t need hearing protection when using the DRDT.

I also found that a 90 deg angle drill with a small head and short threaded bits was the only way to drill the few holes in tight quarters. Didn’t use it often, but invaluable in a few cases where nothing else would work.

As with most things, there are several was to accomplish the tasks in building an aircraft, and many different opinions as to which way is best. I suggest you find a class that will help you get started and/or an experienced builder to help you learn and practice the steps you will need for building. EAA has a good set of classes for beginners https://www.eaa.org/shop/SAW/SportAir_Workshops.aspx they conduct ata variety of locations. And I found Synergy Air’s empennage class in Oregon a great way to experience using a lot of different tools and techniques while building my empennage, which helped me decide which tools I wanted to buy. (I didn’t order my tool kit until after the Synergy Air class.)

Best of luck as you begin your building journey. Don’t let paralysis by analysis slow you down.

This is a good, albeit long and opinionated, view of tools. Also, it?s a bit dated so tool vendors, part numbers, etc. will likely be different.

http://www.meyette.us/MikeCrowe.htm

Another plug for the drdt-2; a side bonus is it can be operated at 4:00 a.m. without waking up the rest of the house.

Thank you to all who replied. Many good suggestions. Finishing off a few small household projects and setting up the shop (garage). Looking forward to getting this thing started.

My advice: Go to Synergy and take the 1 week empennage build class before you go any further. Take your kids with you so they can participate. There is no additional cost to bring the kids other than the cost of the required basic skills class (something like $200 each) Doing this will provide you with:

1.) The basic skills you will need.
2.) A huge head-start on getting the plane done. - You will do in a week what would take you 3 to 4 months on your own.
3.) You will decide what tools you really want and what kind of work space you should be planning.
4.) It will get your kids into it, or show you that they are not really into it. Either way, it is a full week 1:1 with your kids actually working and interacting with them all day long.
5.) It will help you decide if this is the route you want to take to owing a plane. You can buy a decent flying RV for less than you can build the same plane for, and it is ready to go now. You might build the empennage and say: "Ok, I'm proud of that, learned a lot, and could build my own plane if I wanted. Now lets go flying!" or you could say: "I like building more than flying, and want to wait a few years to be able to say I did this."

I consider the week I spent at Synergy some of the best money I have ever spent, and one of the greatest weeks I have had with my kids.

Last edited:
Good advice

You can buy a decent flying RV for less than you can build the same plane for, and it is ready to go now.

This is key info. If you decide you?d rather fly now than build, RVs are flat-out incredible bargains used, since the market doesn?t seem to reward sweat equity. In my limited experience, the only downside is that (unless you?re lucky), the search for the right RV will require a bit more time and effort than locating a solid Cherokee or 172.

I bought a used RV while (slowly) building a Zenith 801 with a partner. Scratched both itches. :)

You can buy a decent flying RV for less than you can build the same plane for, and it is ready to go now.

This is key info. If you decide you?d rather fly now than build, RVs are flat-out incredible bargains used, since the market doesn?t seem to reward sweat equity. In my limited experience, the only downside is that (unless you?re lucky), the search for the right RV will require a bit more time and effort than locating a solid Cherokee or 172.

I bought a used RV while (slowly) building a Zenith 801 with a partner. Scratched both itches. :)

While true, in this case the OP wants a -9, not a -9A. Good luck finding one for sale.
Based on his criteria, he will have to build one.

That is the beauty of these planes, each is custom built to the builder's desires and needs.

I totally agree based on my own experience. I knew I wanted to fly and while I would have loved to build a man has to know his limitations. I spent over a year looking for the right plane for me. Started searching for a 7A, then 6A and finally found the perfect 9 for me. I couldn?t be happier with what I bought. There was a time when my impatience was leading me to lower my standards. In come wife and reminds me not to let that happen. My wait has been rewarded.
I also agree with what Bill said above. Finding a 9 is like finding hens teeth. Bill helped me get comfortable with my 9. He is a wealth of knowledge and my go to guy with questions.

For those that are looking, don't forget that turning a -9A into a -9 is completely doable...

Yup, been there

There was a time when my impatience was leading me to lower my standards.

Just to continue the circle of agreement, this totally happened to me. I was lucky to escape its clutches.

You might get lucky, but I think for most people finding the right RV takes time, and when you find the right one, you need to act fast.

Finding a good -9 or -9A will be a major project, but it will still be much easier than building. :)

Back