What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a pic of your FINISHED RV-9/9A!!!

Me actually flying my -9A

I got transitioned and the fun begins!

thumbsupqn6.jpg

9phbellyya7.jpg

As the fog rolls in, RV9 N659DB "Catalina" stands ready for her crew....
fog001xw0.jpg

Back from another successful mission...
fog002hl6.jpg

This is the second paint job for my -9. I did the first and was not happy with it so I contacted Lee Strickland in Sandersville, Georgia who did it right. Lee is a great guy and is highly recommended by at least 15 RVers now in the middle GA area. High quality vinyl graphics were supplied by Greg Judy. http://vinylgraphicsbygreg.com/

Last edited:
bsacks05 said:
As the fog rolls in, RV9 N659DB
This is the second paint job for my -9. I did the first and was not happy with it so I contacted Lee Strickland in Sandersville, Georgia who did it right. Lee is a great guy and is highly recommended by at least 15 RVers now in the middle GA area. High quality vinyl graphics were supplied by Greg Judy. http://vinylgraphicsbygreg.com/

I've never gotten too worked up by RV paint jobs with a military theme- until now. Holy cow, is that a gorgeous plane! Understated elegance, all superlatives apply, etc! Photos like that inspire me to keep plugging away in the cold winter garage. The photo in the fog is art. I'd vote it for a calendar shot.

Vinly Graphics look awesome

bsacks05 said:
As the fog rolls in, RV9 N659DB "Catalina" stands ready for her crew....
fog001xw0.jpg

Back from another successful mission...
fog002hl6.jpg

High quality vinyl graphics were supplied by Greg Judy. http://vinylgraphicsbygreg.com/

I love the plane!!!! Awesome!!!! I'm Glad my brother Greg was able to help you with the Vinyl Graphics and your happy with them. You never know what this RV family group has to share. Beautiful RV!!! AJ

Current Panel

Here is a shot of the current panel. New turn coordinator added this past weekend.

FinalPanel.jpg

Air to Air

pete001ag6.jpg

pete002cb5.jpg

A -9A builder (Mike Behnke)flew the C-182 Camera Ship and a -7 builder with an awesome camera (Peter Fruehling)took shots out the open window. I just tried to hold it steady......

Last edited:
Awesome pic, Pete. Have you done any formation flying with it?

Our group (The SnowFlakes) is mostly short-wing RV's. Our normal reference point for short-wings is the outboard aileron hinge lined up with the spinner tip.

For my 9A, we determined that the inboard aileron hinge/outboard flap hinge, line up with firewall at the cowl split line gives the same correspondence in flight.

The second correspondence point is to see about 6" of the far elevator behind the rudder, for all types of RVs.

Vern

bsacks05 said:
This is the second paint job for my -9. I did the first and was not happy with it so I contacted Lee Strickland in Sandersville, Georgia who did it right.
I agree - he did it right. Love the wood prop contrasting with the green color....

Here is a picture of my RV9A with Eggenfellner Subaru power shortly after the paint job was completed over just north of Montgomery, AL

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

New RV-9A- North Alabama

RV-9A, N 269 RV, first flight January 27, 2007. 70 hours as of 1 September 2007- Weight 1057# with Lycoming 0-320 B2C, VFR instruments, switched to aluminium prop, 2000+ hrs construction and 6 years- Scott Millhouse

rvwheelsthinneder9.jpg

Last edited:
Roger Aspegren first's flight of N678RA was at 5:05PM 4/14/2007 after 5 years of building. The Subbie engine performed flawlessly, and plane flew hands off straight as an arrow.

First goal after flying the 40 hours off.....OSH.

Well done Roger, well done.

Last edited:
Finally N103LF is painted. Trim and tail art are yet to be added. Painting was done right at this location (outdoor).
n103lfa.JPG

n103lfb.JPG

With the trim and tail art (my son flying):
Ted'sboysmall.jpg

Last edited:
N942WG flies on 10/20/2007

Todd Wiechman and Pat Garboden flew RV-9A N942WG (twice)on a windy Wichita, Kansas day. Empty weight was 1046 pounds including paint, oil, unusable fuel and all parts accounted for and attached. There is that RV grin. :D
img0663jm3.jpg

Here is the run up prior to first flight with RV4 chase plane owned by Phil Dressen of Wichita.
img0628fl1.jpg

toddpatsrv9a343hz2.jpg

She flew hands off on the first flight and pilot Todd had to waggle the wings to make sure the plane was not flying itself. It flies like it is on rails. Very stable platform.
Pat Garboden
Ozark, MO
N942PT (reserved) Tip Up w/O-320
Todd Wiechman
Wichita, KS
RV-9A N942WG slider w/ O-235 118hp

crw3694zc8.jpg

bestcp2.jpg

N869RV is done, finished, complete. I finally bit the bullet and put it in for a paint job after over two years.

Total time is now over 235 hours. This plane has been from coast to coast and I still have the grin. What a fantastic plane! Cruise speed @ around 12,000 ft is 152kts on 6.5 gph.

For all of you still building, keep pounding those rivets it is well worth it!

Outstanding

Roger,

She looks great!! Thanks again for taking time to chat with me about my plane during the the flyoff period last year.

We got a foot of snow - come on up!

Love the Paint

Very nice Roger... love the colors and the scheme. I may just play copy cat when the time comes.

Roger, the plane looks great. After 300 hours, three engine mounts, and two different landing gear configurations, I'm finally painting my plane. I'm doing it myself so it will be a little while before it's done.

Now if we can just get Bill to paint his RV9.

Cam

Ouch...

That's ok, it is scheduled for the paint shop this spring. Now to finish the gear leg intersection fairings.

Bill
I think you have quiet a while to paint your plane and still be well ahead of me in getting their plane painted. It will be just under (or over) three years when mine is finished. (painted, not done)

Cam

RV-9A PU-IJC Brasil - JC

Dear Rvers: This is my second first fly in june-2007. Now 96h hobbs.

Last edited:
Simply beautiful

I really like the simplicity and beauty of your fresh paint. It is a winner.

Pat Garboden
Ozark, MO
RV-9A N942WG flying

RV-9A N942PT wiring stage

Last edited:
N359HW

imgp0009kx9.jpg

Finished N359HW at end of 2006, flew it to Oshkosh in 2007, with my partner Dick Hansen. Great trip, great airplane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gene and Janet Larsen's 9A

After checking this forum, I figure it's about time I posted this pic. Moody Blue is a 9A with an O-320E2D (150 HP), FP prop, VFR cruiser. First flight was in Oct 03 and has been to 32 states and the Bahamas and Turks. Some of the places Janet and I have visited via Moody Blue are: Grand Turk, Oshkosh X4, SnF, Mackinac Island(MI), Niagra Falls, Vermont, VFR corridor in NYC, LOE X4, Grand Canyon, Rocky Mtns(CO,WY,MT,&UT), Shelter Cove(CA), Crater Lake, Mt St Helens(before and after eruption), Friday Harbor, Over PAcific, Atlantic & Gulf oceans. The plane has over 650 hrs on her. Extra equipment includes Trio AP driven by Apollo SL60, AirOx O2, XM radio and Anywhere Map GPS. Check my new website for travel stories and such: www.GetbusyLivingNow.net
artrip082kd7.jpg

Last edited:
N358JR

Just out of the paint shop at Brady. Alan Woodson did a great job! My first attempt at posting a photo, hope it works!

http://img442.imageshack.us/my.php?image=n358jrpainted005sa7.jpg[/IMG]

Joe Ramotowski
N358JR
ECI 0320 160hp
Senn. Fixed prop
dual Grand Rapids Sport Efis
Garmin SL 30
Garmin GNS430W
TruTrak digiflight II GSVG
Garmin GTX 327

Last edited:
RE:Congrats

Steve

Congrats on the accomplishment.........:cool:

Frank @ 1L8 .... RV7A ....... great to see another Utah Built RV in the Sky

RV9A pic

N28EF RV9A 275 Hrs tt First flight 9/26/06. ECI 160 hp. Based at KHWO in South Florida.

Eddy Fernandez
EddyFernan* at *AOL.com

After quite a few mods I finally got around to painting my plane. I'll take some better photos later. These were taken this morning after a sunrise flight.

2655289471_9eb925de69.jpg

2656114932_558248aeab.jpg

Hugh Satchell's RV-9

Here's a couple of photos of Hugh Satchell's RV-9 (located in NSW, Australia) with Sam James extended Cowl. This is a great looking bird. Dare I say (I am currently building a 7 so I am allowed to express this opinion) that from an aesthetic point of view it looks better than the 6 or 7 due to the longer wings which look more "proportionally correct" rather than fat and short! This bird now has around 100 hours on the Hobbs.....superb. Great work Satch!

dsc0337tv8.jpg

dsc0338zp3.jpg

GNS-430 Scam

Jon

Just sent you a message concerning a GNS 430 scam that I was involved with. It was actually meant for Hugh since he lives in NSW. Could you forward the thread to him please.

Tim Morris RV-8, N187TM
[email protected]

RV-9 N194JH

img0257ml0.jpg

The RV was delivered yesterday from the paint shop in Ormond Beach. Started the final assembly today. I started the project in June 2006 had to slow down while I built 2 RV-9's for customers. I figure I'll have first flight in a few weeks.

John H.

Last edited:
RV-9

I have an RV 9 in the paint shop. Don't see many RV 9 mostly 9As . I have flown my brothers RV7 and have built and flown a LEZ for 25 years up until last year sold the LEZ and bought a RV9 kit. I have a 160 hp O320 with a Prince prop bought from a RV6 er in Texas firewall forward. Looking forward to flying the 9. NIce looking paint on your 9. DRRhodes

Freakin Awsome

Danny,
I am very happy to see that she is finally flying! What a fantastic reward for all the struggles along the way. :)
Here's wishing you many hours of bliss in your new 9A. I hope we can meet up sometime.

Thank-You

Thanks Bruce, I fell behind but its working now, 12 hours as of today
very few problems, I will never ever ever try to paint an airplane again
and all the people that do deserve every penny they charge..
and a bonus.. I am very happy with the outcome..

Danny..

Back