What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electronic ignition and fuel systems (poll)

Ignition & Fuel system combination

• Total voters

humptybump

Well Known Member
I've always been curious about the different combinations of fuel and ignition choices builder / owners make with their airplanes.

I've always been curious about the different combinations of fuel and ignition choices builder / owners make with their airplanes.

One thing left off the poll would be dual electronic ignition and dual mags.

The LASAR and G3i systems are both dual electronic with dual mag backup.

Another choice which is gaining momentum is dual EFI and EI, such as the SDS system I'm installing.

As a fallback choice, my last 3 airplanes have been injected (Bendix) and dual EI.

The sample set is not very big (81 data points at present) but the "trend over time" has been interesting to watch.

The general trend of responses has been 2:1 in favor of fuel injection vs carburetor. On the carburetor side, the responses have trended 2:1 in favor of a single EI while on the fuel injection side it has trended 2:1 in favor of dual EI.

A comment on your trend observations, Glen... It's been my observation that some of those who tend to operate from "less improved" airstrips and over less populated land often do their systems planning with independence in mind. The carb guys (I'm one) keep a mag because the combination of carb and impulse-coupled mag means one has the ability to get started while out in the boonies, long after some idiot left the master switch on and made hand propping a necessity. I've gone one step further by installing a manual priming system, again to avoid any dependence on the flow of electrons.

A comment on your trend observations, Glen... It's been my observation that some of those who tend to operate from "less improved" airstrips and over less populated land often do their systems planning with independence in mind. The carb guys (I'm one) keep a mag because the combination of carb and impulse-coupled mag means one has the ability to get started while out in the boonies, long after some idiot left the master switch on and made hand propping a necessity. I've gone one step further by installing a manual priming system, again to avoid any dependence on the flow of electrons.

That's cool. I would like to know more about how you accomplished manual priming.

Bevan

A comment on your trend observations ...

I don't think I'd ever be able to Devine the "why" in the data. With such a small sampling - currently a little over 100 out of thousands - there are definitely too many variables to make many scientific observations.

I also think there is a case for the "observer effect". While the poll is not quantum physics, the fact I commented about observed trends has changed those trends. :cool:

Currently, fuel injection is almost 3:1 compared to carburetors. The fuel injection responses have surged. The carburetor data is still trending 2:1 in favor of a single electronic ignition while fuel injected installations are narrowing a bit to 1.7:1 while still favoring fuel electronic ignition.

With a little over 120 results it's 8:5 in favor of fuel injection. The splits are still mirrored with carburetors going 7:4 in favor of a single EI and the injection crowd going 4:7

I want to interview for a job as a Vegas bookie.

I agree with the respondents who have no option to vote for EFII systems.

To avoid all possible permutations from each vendor, the survey choices were generalized.

Based on the website - "EFII stands for electronic fuel injection and ignition", it aligns well with the other solutions providing "fuel injection" and "two electronic ignition".

Last edited:
In that case, my vote remains unchanged. That said, the difference between the mechanical injection systems and the ECU driven, high pressure electronic systems is at least as compelling as the difference between the former and a carb. But it is your poll and I dont know what your end result needs to look like.

Let's see, its a little hard to address the poll, since we have different configurations on different planes - you can sort it out Glen!

Two planes with dual P-Mags and fuel injection (one Bendix, one Airflow Performance)

One plane with Slicks and a carb

One plane with dual P-Mags and a Carb

And there there is the work in progress that will have an Aerovee and whatever ignition and induction system that goes with that.... ;)

Paul

I've got to give this a try ...

Two planes with dual P-Mags and fuel injection (one Bendix, one Airflow Performance). One plane with Slicks and a carb. One plane with dual P-Mags and a Carb.

RV-8 - Slicks and a carburetor
RV-6 - pMags and a carburetor
RV-3B - pMags and fuel injection
Tundra - pMags and fuel injection

It's a tough call on the assignments. The RV-3B is pretty certain but the Valkyrie has been around a while and Mikey has had numerous upgrades. :)

I went with 2 Pmags and a carb for my RV-3B. I chose the Pmags for ease of starting and efficient fuel burn.

My engine was delivered with a carb, and since I'm not planning on acro and don't plan to do inverted flight, that let me eliminate the inverted system and the fuel tank flop tube. On my certified plane, I've got an ARP carb ice detector and it finds ice in real time, so carb ice is not an issue. It's easily identified and controlled, and I have one for the RV-3B. Spruce sells them if that's a concern for you.

At my location, much of my flying is full throttle and leave it there until I descend for landing. Carbs aren't that bad at full throttle, I've read.

There you have it.

Dave

I've got to give this a try ...

RV-8 - Slicks and a carburetor
RV-6 - pMags and a carburetor
RV-3B - pMags and fuel injection
Tundra - pMags and fuel injection

It's a tough call on the assignments. The RV-3B is pretty certain but the Valkyrie has been around a while and Mikey has had numerous upgrades. :)

Close - you've got the six and eight reversed. Mikey is totally old school!

There's been a surge in polling data (161 results) from fuel injection 5:2 over carburetor. The carburetor install with single EI are 4:3 while the fuel injection installs are back up to 2:1 in favor of dual EI.

The poll has settled down (for the most part). I'd like to say "thanks" to everyone for participating and for the comments.

As of now, with 170 data points, it's 5:2 with fuel injection results more than double that of carburetor. The carburetor results are 6:5 with the single EI reporting ahead. The fuel injection results continue to hold at 2:1 in favor of dual EI.

I have replaced mags on my 0-290 with dual ignition (EFII). Injection to come later. Looks like FLYEFII has some new stuff out.

Back