What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nutplate Jig for #4 double wing standard nutplates

MElstien

Well Known Member
Hello,

I plan on using screws (torx) to attach my wing and empannage tips. I choose #4-40 screws and standard double wing nutplates. (MS21047-L04 cheap from SkyGeek)

I am having trouble finding a #4 nutplate jig. I know I don't need a jig, but 200 plus nutplates....why not. Cleaveland sells one with their wingtip attach kit. I called them and they informed me the pilot hole is .133 diameter, which would .005 larger than a loose fit #4 hole yet smaller than a tight #6 hole.

I do not see any problem with this very loose fit hole in the sheet metal.

For people that have used #4 screws:
  • What have others done?
  • Will this pilot hole size be a problem?

Thank you for your input.

Yard store has nut plate jigs

Yard store has them, may have used and new ones.

Keith Rhea
RV7
318 hours in third year

Dues gladly paid.

I called them and they informed me the pilot hole is .133 diameter, which would .005 larger than a loose fit #4 hole yet smaller than a tight #6 hole.

I do not see any problem with this very loose fit hole in the sheet metal.

For people that have used #4 screws:
  • What have others done?
  • Will this pilot hole size be a problem?

Thank you for your input.

• The nutplates go under the fiberglass tip flange, not the wing skin.
    Will you be dimpling the skin for flush head screws? If so, you're going to be countersinking the fiberglass anyway, probably with a #30 countersink, so the .133 works out.

So this begs the question why not follow the plans and go with the Van's recommended #6?
Not to mention 6's are much easier to work with and are stronger (quite a bit of load on the tips when flying). The #6 dimple dyes and nut plate jigs are everywhere. I actually hate #4's as years down the road they strip and snap off much too easy.
Stick to the plans, just my 2c.

Walt is right!!!

DO NOT USE THE 4-40's. Even with Torx it is easy to have a problem. I did mine with 4-40's and stripped two screws. I bought all 6-32 hardware for replacement. I buddy of mine drilled and replaced all of them, 78 I think. Took us about 2 hours start to finish!! 6-32's are perfect!!

Back