What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to start QB Fuse

shiney

Well Known Member
After my holidays I will be pulling the QB fuse into the garage. I would like to know from QB builders where they started on the fuse. Any tips and ideas would be helpful.

Martin

Van's advice

I KNOW that this isn't what you want to hear but Van's says to read through the manual and when you find something that wasn't done by the guys/gals? in the Phillipines to work from there.

So far this has worked for me - it also becomes fun when you find they got carried away with riveting things that should have been left open. It's one thing to drill out bad rivets but a real shame when you start attacking good ones.

Checking that you have done everything is a GOOD thing. :)

On mine, I started from the rear and worked forward. Installed tail, steps, flooring, seats, flap motor, controls, panel, canopy, wiring....

Worked out very nicely.

-Jeff

Thanks for the replies fellas, I have read through the plans but I wanted to hear from builders who had also done the same and wished they had started somewhere else! All tips are useful and the instructions link to the RV9 was a real help.

Thanks for your posts.

Martin :)

QB Fuse

The first thing I did was remove all of the floor panels and baggage bulkheads, and don't replace them until the very end. Also, when you get to the part where you build your rudder pedal assembly, don't final install it until EVERYTHING else is done. It'll just be in your way. Ask me how I know ;)

Before starting the fuse I called and talked to tech support. The answer I got was read the manual. Then start on the floor of the baggage area (read that bell crank) and work forward along the floor and then front to back across the top. It's been working pretty good for me so far. I'm working on the canopy area now.

qb steps

A couple other pointers if i may???
Snap in the grommets early, they go where they go and once the main gear supports are installed...they dont go in very well. Ha. Then, after you have the gear mounts cut into place and in perfect and torqued all nicely with the right hardware and look at yourself all pround that something is finally done...start reading about the fuel lines/break lines...DOPE!!! time to take it all apart again to bend the lines to fit through the stupid part you just installed. UGGGHHH. Stupid plane. Ha, some days its kinda slow...but that is why they gave us beer. Enjoy the build, dont get to quick or it will bite you in the butt. :p

Rick I had to laugh when I read your post. Yup I took it all apart too. In fact I could have built two slo builds in the time it taken me to do all the redo's from jumping out ahead of the build. Oh boy look what I get to do now followed a few days later by DOA!! I can see that my second QB is going to go really fast though. :)

Last edited:
Put the rudder cable thru from the rear. Put in a grommet then thru a bulk head then a grommet etc. It is very hard to get the rudder cable thru the grommets once they are installed.

QB-process

shiney said:
After my holidays I will be pulling the QB fuse into the garage. I would like to know from QB builders where they started on the fuse. Any tips and ideas would be helpful.

Martin
If you read thru the manual and then read thru again you will gain insight as to what to do first and then second etc. You have to think things thru so as to eliminate do over as much as possible. You will still have a few. the push pull tube to elevator bell crank is tough (read impossible) to install without removing the rod end bearings. When you figure that out it goes right in. If you are going to install system six position/strobes - plan where to put power pack. Think all your options thru. AOA computer goes where? etc. Some days I just spent reading and planning. But, this is my first time so there were many things I had to think thru. Van's gives very little direction on how to proceed with a QB.

Back