What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your empennage fairing!!

MrNomad

Well Known Member
During the last 14 months building this 9a, there have been good days, bad days, and days you're glad you just didn't break anything.

Today was a good day, we finished installing Van's empennage fairing. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks to my build partner and friend Chet, plus our GREAT EAA tech counselor, Gil A., we're getting close.

For photos, click on:

http://www.arizonaairparks.com/rv-empennage.htm

Barry
Tucson
RV9A, O-360, wiring almost done, first flight coming soon.

Flush

As we were painting, or getting ready to, my buddy/paint and bodyman, started sanding the area ahead of the tail fairing. Inquiring as to what he was doing, said in his Southern drawl, "Y'all don't want the air hittin' that edge", and proceeded to neatly lay a thin layer of Bondo that leaves the fairing flush at the front. Looks really nice.

Pierre

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

The exchange of ideas Doug's website facilitates is remarkable

pierre smith said:
As we were painting, or getting ready to, my buddy/paint and bodyman, started sanding the area ahead of the tail fairing. Inquiring as to what he was doing, said in his Southern drawl, "Y'all don't want the air hittin' that edge", and proceeded to neatly lay a thin layer of Bondo that leaves the fairing flush at the front. Looks really nice.
Pierre
Thanks for the idea. In other words, he built up the fuse to meet the higher edge of the fairing.

Will do.

Barry

Pierre:

It would seem to be far less work to just taper the edge of the fairing than to build up material on the fuselage to merge with the edge. Im guessing there must be some reason for taking "the hard way"?

erich

Fairings etc

I didn't care for the Van's fairing. It looks flimsly and the multiple screws will lead to ripples and cracks eventually. (noticed over years of looking at other planes) I went with the Fairings etc.. tail fairing. Actually mine was the prototype for the 7. There are only 6 screws per side for attachment. This includes the lower fairing. Very clean appearance.

img2186vp4.jpg

img2187xk3.jpg

Back