What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans cowl thin area (photo)

KJBSouth

Well Known Member
P161212.JPG

Hi all.
The above photo shows the inside of my IO-360 RV-7 top cowl from my finish kit. The bright pink areas around the edges have no honeycomb between fiberglass layers. This is expected. Also, the rectangle on the upper left is for the oil door. However, what is the purpose of the thin (no honeycomb) rectangular area on the upper right? Can anyone say?

Thanks,

I think it is for cylinder clearance, that cylinder (#1) is the forwardmost cylinder and it all gets a bit tight in there.. Especially if you have an angle valve engine.
Hugh

No interference with IO-360-M1B

Karl,

I wondered the same thing, but don't have a good answer for you. What I do know is the cylinder and spark plug have at least 2 inches of clearance on an IO-360-M1B. I trimmed the upper inlet ramp a bit shorter (advised by Dan Horton) and it falls right in the middle of that void. I filled it in with micro so the baffle seal has a smooth surface to rest against.

Brian

the clearance is for the angle valve. On mine I had to extend it a little to stop rubbing. If I did it again I think I would put the baffling to the inside of the attachment points in that area and gain about a 1/4 inch.

Back