- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-09-2017, 07:22 AM

Default Stormy's 2017 Fly-In

We are on for the 15th.

Location: Hop-Along Airfield, 12VA, western VA between KROA and KHSP

Event: BBQ lunch and hanging out poolside at Bill & Lorri's. (River level is too low for successful tubing, and no rain forecast for next 7 days ) Suggest bringing a bathing suit and towel. We have rocking chairs and sixty feet of porch steps to sit on.

Side dishes welcome but not necessary. Lots of folks seem unable to help themselves and bring a favorite side or dessert anyway. We won't say no.

Arrive: anytime after 1030 local. Stay as late as you wish. If you get the notion to primitive camp here, let's discuss it. I've always offered - and no one's ever taken us up on it yet.

Facilities: 2100 x 50 foot turf runway. No obstacles (power lines are buried). Use RWY 32 for landing and 14 for takeoff. Space for tie-downs, but need to bring your own stakes and ropes if you want to anchor your plane (not usually necessary).

Would like a head count so an RSVP is helpful but not essential.

Comms: the "FBO" is NORDO; suggest arrivals use 122.75 air-to-air freq for an informal CTAF. We have good Verizon coverage and WiFi once you're on the ground.

NOTAM: nearby field Riverwood 0VA2 is just over a ridge to the north and parallel. Use our AirNav GPS coordinates to avoid confusion. Left traffic, 1800' MSL pattern altitude. Runway surface is rolling, bumpy in places, but firm and dry, short grass.

Hope to see our VAF friends next Saturday!

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 07-09-2017, 01:10 PM

Default Deep Grass??

Hi Bill, I had been looking for your original post on this, but it just disappeared. Anyway, remember you had a picture of your dog running on the runway? His back legs looked to be pretty deep in grass----and I was wondering if I need to remove my wheel pants if I fly there?

Thanx much.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:28 PM

Stormy, all caviar I brought from the Motherland is gone. I ate as much as I could before it was confiscated at a border crossing. No side dish from me

See you on Saturday... keep it long... more food for us...

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:31 PM

Default Cut the grass

I'll be there. Looks like the weather will cooperate.

Hey Vlad, that runway looks a bit narrow, but if you would have landed on the centerline, you would have been OK.
RV8 N37PK
Old 07-09-2017, 09:36 PM

Count me in Bill. Jim, maybe we can gaggle.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaziza View Post
Hi Bill, I had been looking for your original post on this, but it just disappeared. Anyway, remember you had a picture of your dog running on the runway? His back legs looked to be pretty deep in grass----and I was wondering if I need to remove my wheel pants if I fly there?

Thanx much.
Jax is a half-pint pup, and makes the grass look taller than it is. I keep it well-groomed for fly-ins; I've never had an issue with my 6A here. Keep your pants on

Old 07-10-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Stormy, all caviar I brought from the Motherland is gone. I ate as much as I could before it was confiscated at a border crossing. No side dish from me

See you on Saturday... keep it long... more food for us...

Just bring the bayonet - we'll trade for something.

I can truly believe they made you eat the caviar at the border - it's so like them.

Agree you need to do better nailing the centerline, Vlad. Especially on those narrow grass strips. Knowing you plan to show up, I am certain we will have an overflow crowd wanting autographs. Step-son Jacob is especially thrilled to hear you are returning. I'd tell you how cool he thinks you are, but it would just swell your head.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:37 PM

Default Fuel stop & hotels

Bill, Whatcha recommend for a fuel stop going back to Atlanta? Also---any hotels in the area if I stay over night?

(The way the rains are going down here this year, I may have to paddle up to you in an arc)
Old 07-10-2017, 12:51 PM

Default For hotel accomodations

... I highly recommend my house - we have a guest suite above the garage with all the amenities. You could share it with two others and all be in separate beds. You're the first to ask, so you've got dibs, Don. There are of course plenty of commercial properties around if you prefer a Motel 6 experience and I can get you a crew car (truck actually).

Fuel stop? I always use the planning function in AirNav to find cheap(er) gas. I can hook you up with 93 octane ethanol free mogas in my hangar at $3/gallon.

On your way home but not very far into your trip to ATL would be Bedford Landings B&B at Smith Mountain Lake. The proprietor, Jack Philips, will be at the fly-in Saturday but if they have vacancies at the Inn they can make it happen for you. We've stayed there, and it's nice. (So is Jack's Pietenpol and his RV-10 project!)

Old 07-10-2017, 01:23 PM

Default View from the overhead break

This is what you see if you're lined up with the correct airfield in our neighborhood - and rolled inverted for the break (an artifact of Halie.com, and you all know what Photobucket is up to these days and why I won't post a right-side-up picture through them...) Turn you laptop upside down and note the neighbor's runway (0VA2) on the right in the distance. Note that 12VA 14-32 comes all the way out to the road and extends all the way to the river at a 45 degree angle, and is situated in a wide hayfield with driveways on either side. Not true for 0VA2, a parallel runway of almost exactly the same dimensions.

My hangar and house are both on the right side of RWY 32; my neighbor's hangar is on the left side of his RWY 32. Just want to avoid confusion here as they are only 1/2 mile apart with a little ridge between them.