- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Activity Specific > Trip Write-ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV fan View Post
Hello Vlad,

Incredibly absolutely unbelievable your Trip(s)

For me is incomprehensible how can you Fly around the half Planet with your RV9....

I know the (all RV's) the 9 is a graet Travel Plane.. i love my too, but......

Russia is not "so far" from Austria.....ist it also on your Travel Plan ? :-)

greetings
Manfred
If you want to read a really spectacular story about flying from the US to Australia, this is a story of a family of five that flew from Boston to Australia through Europe, the Middle East, down through South East Asia and on to Australia. I was 10 years old when I watched them depart from the airport just miles from my child hood home. The pilot Robin, was a co-worker and good friend of my fathers and their entire family close friends. Robin was also one of the inspirations that motivated me to eventually fly. I believe they are the only family to date to have completed this journey.

https://www.amazon.com/VirginiaS-Dia...inia%27s+diary
Old 07-12-2017, 08:07 PM

Default The most interesting man in the world...

Vlad, I'm pretty sure if Dos Equis monitored this forum that you would be "the most interesting man in the world." They would sponsor all your adventures!

Michael-
Last Donation: December 2016

Last edited by Michael Burbidge : 07-12-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Burbidge View Post
Vlad, I'm pretty sure if Dos Equis monitored this forum that you would be "the most interesting man in the world." They would sponsor all your adventures!

Michael-
Time for a repeat from an earlier Vlad adventure post:

Again, thanks Vlad!
N430WB (reserved) RV-7 #74152, tip-up. Avionics and FF underway!
Log at: http://rv7.wbencze.com
Defeating gravity one rivet at a time
VAF 2017 donation happily made
Old 07-12-2017, 09:19 PM

Default Book?

This story would make for a great book. Title already made "VFR to Russia".

Great story, i'll pop out of my chair at work and tell people about this amazing Man who is flying the same plane as mine to Russia, then pull up google maps and show them the route. Exciting for me at least!
RV-9A #92103 - N803DK (now N9396S)
G3X, Superior XO-320, Dual Pmags, Whirlwind GA
www.mykitlog.com/dbro172/

RV-8 #83565 - N184DK - building
1968 Mooney M20C - Sold
1956 C-182 - Sold
Old 07-12-2017, 10:46 PM
Forum Peruser

What a heart-warming story, Vlad. Thanks so much for sharing your adventure.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/APRS Automatic Position Reporting System

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
Old 07-13-2017, 04:21 AM

Talking Back into Yesterday

An hour over the water flew faster then I thought. Over Provideniya I turned northeast and was headed toward BATNI intersection. Stellar weather beautiful views.

Provideniya.

Tracking the Russian shoreline.

Lavrentia. Sergey's turboprop commuter is still there they will take off going back to Anadyr in 30 minutes.

A fun episode here over Lavrentia. Magadan Control hands me off to Lavrentiya Tower and advises to speak Russian. No problem or so I thought.
"November666BK здравствуйте, на связи эшелон 110." Roger. The thing is it's very difficult to communicate in foreign aviation lingo if you are not using it constantly. Even simple phrases it's a different format. I made my reports and before checking out Lavrentiya Tower gave me a lecture (in Russian). "Nikolay 666 Boris Katerina just be advised there is no English speaking services here. Yes, we accommodate accidental traffic from your side but I am personally not authorized to speak English. I do have an ICAO level though..." That was an interesting conversation. It also sheds light on why I was turned out to enter Russian airspace here.

After I crossed the ADIZ the weather changed dramatically. Nome was locked under solid 5000' layer and incoming IFR traffic was crazy. I still had about 2 hours of fuel left and could reach anywhere with good weather. Let's see what we can do.

It's actually a good thing to have an IFR capable aircraft with FIKI. A smart guy who just popped out of the clouds heard my communication with ATC and asked why can't I just shoot at approach. Wise controller said I am not equipped and asked an arriving Bering Air to take a look around if there are any openings. The kid asked if I have a map ready. Sure. Go to Kugluktuk mountains there is a huge swamp and it's clear over there. Then the controller chimes in - there is a road to Nome as soon as you can maintain VFR over it give me a call couple minutes out we'll see what we can do for you.

Different world is Alaska let me tell you. Everybody helps nobody ever left behind. So I fly 50 miles north, drop down through the hole and drive along the road. A herd of muskoxen didn't care.

I monitor Nome radio, hold couple minutes outside the surface area over a dredge then after a military aircraft goes on a training missed approach, I insert myself into the radio chatter. Controller asks Alaska Airlines to hold short for a minute, I read back my special VFR instructions then plop on the numbers of runway 21 and exit quickly. Everybody is accommodated everybody is happy. Hello home!

I flew back into the Yesterday and I had a birthday again. I will stay here for another day then start trekking east leasurely I still have a week of vacation to burn...

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.

Last edited by Vlad : 07-13-2017 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:19 AM

Default Place Holder

Way back on your tundra tour, I think the place holder was revealed.

That "Roses in Gun" or "Guns & Roses" photo could become a very iconic photo.

I bet you could get paid quite nicely by National Geographic for this trip write up. Also a few aviation rags would jump at a chance to have your riveting write up in print.

Good Luck !

Last edited by F1R : 07-13-2017 at 06:27 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:36 AM

Default Russian radio alphabet anyone?

Anatov, Boris, C ??, Demitri, ...

Ugg, I just googled it. It's complicated.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:04 AM

Default I had a Russian tell me once

"For the sins of the Russian people, God gave us Christ. For our continued rebellion He gave us the Cyrillic alphabet..."

At least that's how I remember the interpreter handling it. And after two weeks in Sankte Peterborg staring at Russian signage, I think I got the joke

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug

Last edited by Bill Boyd : 07-13-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
My classmate from military flight school we graduated in 1985 and haven's seen each other since. He was one of those champions ready to jump on Smokey's squadron mates if allowed...

I learned that some of our classmates were missing from the school phalanx. I told him I am planning an RTW by the time of our next reunion...
D
Vlad,
The brotherhood....never changes.
16 of my classmates have gone west, 8 prior to their 40th birthday.

Your Reunion sounds like another RV9 Russian Epic, think you should attend..
V/R
Smokey

Last edited by smokyray : 07-13-2017 at 08:39 AM.