What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Harmon Rocket crash in Corona, ca (transitioned to funds for survivor)

Sorry to hear about this...

Very sobering...the pictures look like that is a survivable put down...I would have thought folks might be banged up, but...not a fatality.

Going to have to see what the NTSB says...

Prayers for the families on the way...

can we learn something?

I studied the photo briefly, hoping to see a nice, long, drag mark in this green field. Sadly, it looks like the impact was rather abrupt. Not to speculate, just observe that if we have choices, keeping the wing flying forward, at any speed, is often the key to survival.

A shame for our community, and tragic for those directly involved or related.

In the interest of safety:

I was meeting a friend at the Corona airport cafe for lunch and happened to pass by the Rocket about two hours after the accident. I thought it was an RV at first, but I could not get close enough to confirm. The police had the area cordoned off, and the NTSB was there. Of course, the ambulances had already departed. After about forty-five minutes, the cordon was lifted except for the area within about one hundred feet of the aircraft. I was able to get closer and saw that it was a Rocket. The NTSB personnel were gone.

Two eye witnesses reported to airport officials that the Rocket’s engine quit just after takeoff to the east. The pilot pulled up, turned about 140 degrees to the right, barely cleared the airport fence, and pancaked the Rocket into tall grass and weeds; folding the gear back. It looked like the Rocket slid on heading about two hundred feet, or so, and then rotated ninety degrees to the right as it stopped. In other words, the Rocket appeared to stop rather quickly in the tall, dense foliage.

From what I could see, the Rocket did not flip over or cartwheel on the ground. Apparently, the pilot did all he could and did it well. Medical assistance arrived quickly, removed the canopy, and tended to the pilot/builder and passenger/instructor. The medical personnel on-scene reported to airport officials: “head trauma” and “critical” for both occupants. Officials related to me that “there was no fire” and “there was no fuel smell near the wreckage.”

That’s all I have to report, and the critical information is second-or-third-hand except the after-accident scene which I personally observed from a distance. In other words, please wait for the NTSB report before drawing any conclusions from this unfortunate accident.* I believe all of us send our sincere, heartfelt condolences and prayers to the families and friends of those involved.

*Bold emphasis added by a Moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Following the rules, and NOT speculating on cause of the accident, but...I'm concerned about the efficacy of the harnessing. From the photos, the cockpit area looks relatively intact, as does the aft fuselage. Shouldn't shoulder harnesses that are good and snug on take-off prevent a forward motion of the body and head, preventing head trauma?

Or could it be a side impact as a result of the abrupt turn at the end?

Or perhaps the shoulder harnesses loosened (perhaps due to fuselage buckling and such), and then allow the occupant to slip through them?

Disconcerting, and perhaps a reason to look closely at harnessing methods....

Following the rules, and NOT speculating on cause of the accident, but...I'm concerned about the efficacy of the harnessing. From the photos, the cockpit area looks relatively intact, as does the aft fuselage. Shouldn't shoulder harnesses that are good and snug on take-off prevent a forward motion of the body and head, preventing head trauma?

Or could it be a side impact as a result of the abrupt turn at the end?

Or perhaps the shoulder harnesses loosened (perhaps due to fuselage buckling and such), and then allow the occupant to slip through them?

Disconcerting, and perhaps a reason to look closely at harnessing methods....

Perhaps, but one of the news sites had a picture of the right side of the plane taken from behind and the fuselage looked pretty badly distorted, even if the overall shape doesn't appear too bad. There may have been significant vertical velocity at touchdown. Also, harnesses supposedly stretch a lot during sigificant deceleration forces. It might be a good idea for us homebuilders to consider better padding on things like glare shields and front seat-back supprt structures...

Skylor

Harnesses are a preventative device, they are not a "cure" No impact with the head is necessary. Recalling the fatal injuries to Dale Earnhart (sp?). The sudden deceleration caused a fracture of the bottom of the skull, rupturing blood vessels (and possible nerve damage.

When I started SCCA racing an engineer in the SF area was developing what came to be known as the HANS device. I elected to do lots of neck strengthening exercises.

Both approaches are worth considering.

Onward and upward,

No point in speculation but I will mention that generally the vertical component of a crash can be more damaging to occupants than the forward (horizontal) component.

Last edited:
No point in speculation but I will mention that generally the vertical component of a crash can be more damaging to occupants than the forward (horizontal) component.

I spoke with a local pilot today that said the plane hit the ground flat and hard. The forces and damage encountered caused the restraints to fail.

~Marc

Also, harnesses supposedly stretch a lot during sigificant deceleration forces.

Yeah, it's the blood bag theory. They can easily design/build a harness that will not stretch, but in an accident the human body will keep moving around the fixed harness . . . like a bag of blood. Not good for survival.

The same idea is applied to full-body fall protection harnesses. They should always be worn with a shock-absorbing lanyard.

Yeah, it's the blood bag theory. They can easily design/build a harness that will not stretch, but in an accident the human body will keep moving around the fixed harness . . . like a bag of blood. Not good for survival.

The same idea is applied to full-body fall protection harnesses. They should always be worn with a shock-absorbing lanyard.

Above is true, but in fact most of the lowering of the deceleration is due to the time it takes for the front end of the plane (or car) to crush. It would be much worse if the structure was absolutely rigid. And this is why vertical impacts ("pancake") are bad: we sit on a rigid spar carry thru, so crush space is very limited.

if a secure pilot is a consideration perhaps a stroll through the pitts of a sprint car race may offer some ideas as to how to secure a human in preparation for high g load events all the while wearing a 850hp 1200lb car. I have seen a extra latch going across the chest to hold both vertical belts in parallel. plus a submarine strap too, your really wearing the vehicle at that point. I am considering this type of belts for my 6 but that's a ways off. and for now my heart goes out to those in loss and their families and let the truth of the incident help with all of our endeavors so the if this situation arises upon us that we may walk away because of those who went before us and that their efforts are not wasted.
billythekid

An attempt to redirect this thread

In the interest of safety:

That?s all I have to report, and the critical information is second-or-third-hand except the after-accident scene which I personally observed from a distance. In other words, please wait for the NTSB report before drawing any conclusions from this unfortunate accident.* I believe all of us send our sincere, heartfelt condolences and prayers to the families and friends of those involved.

*Bold emphasis added by a Moderator.

Both of the pilots involved in this incident are friends of mine. This post is my attempt to redirect this thread to simply offer condolences to Jeff's family & friends and to offer encouragement to Dave, his wife Leah and family.

Jeff Johnson
I didn't know Jeff on very a personal level, just the occasional meeting at the airport. He always greeted me with a smile and I can't recall him ever having an unkind thing to say. Self deprecating humor was his usual go to, most often followed with a snickering laugh. Wednesday, the day following the incident, I was compelled to skip work and go to the airport in search of answers to the many questions I had. Three other pilots and I walked out to the crash site. We were still in the grass field when we were approached by two of Jeff's three daughters and his son. With a Styrofoam cup in hand, they said they were bringing their Dad a beer. One of his daughters said "It's the wrong brand but it'll have to do".

I hope that anyone on the forum who knew Jeff better than I will post a few thoughts.

Dave Stevenson
I've known Dave for about eight years and I've had the hangar directly across from him for the last six. Dave is the guy every airport wished they had. He's always willing to help at a moment's notice no matter what the request. Never boastful, he is a never ending source of aviation knowledge. You would never know it until you're witnessing it being put to use. I have seen this man fly countless aircraft, from a Piper Cub to a DC3, quite often on their maiden flight or after a major overhaul. Many pilots, myself included, consider Dave the best pilot they know.

At this time, Dave is still in a medically induced coma. He sustained major head injuries that required emergency surgery to relieve pressure on his brain. He also has fractures around his left eye, spine and right ankle. The doctors say he is steadily improving but he is still in ICU. I visited him today and he looks much better than when I first saw him Tuesday evening.

Your well wishes and encouragement are welcome. I hope that someday Dave can read your comments himself.

I'll keep you posted as I know more.

I was just rereading my last post and I noticed "First flight September 1, 2012" in my signature line. Dave was the Pilot for that first flight.

I was just rereading my last post and I noticed "First flight September 1, 2012" in my signature line. Dave was the Pilot for that first flight.

Nice write up on these guys, Jake. Thanks for the personal introduction. Can you edit your post above and add that first flight picture with Dave in the cockpit from your album? Keep us posted on his condition.

Last edited:
Nice right up on these guys, Jake. Thanks for the personal introduction. Can you edit your post above and add that first flight picture with Dave in the cockpit from your album? Keep us posted on his condition.

Great idea Bill!

Dave has impacted countless people, George (RVTOY) posted this link earlier of one of those people. In case you missed it, it's worth a look. http://generalaviationnews.com/2011/07/07/flying-to-the-four-corners-of-the-country/
Updating this article, Taylor has been flying right seat for a regional airline for the last 18 months, he has logged over 4400 hours total time. When Taylor turns 23 next week he will be able to apply with the major airlines and left seat with the regional.

IMG_8679.jpg

The engine was running and Dave waved me over for a last second question before he taxied out

IMG_8685.jpg

First take off

IMG_8706.jpg

First landing

Last edited:
Update

I said in an earlier post that I would keep VAF posted. The airplane was placed in a locked hangar for the NTSB and I have not heard anything further.

Last week Dave was moved to UCI (University of California Irvine) Medical Center where he remains in an induced coma in ICU. He has undergone two surgeries on his head, ankle and left eye with a third scheduled for tomorrow to repair the fractures around his left eye.

Needless to say the medical bills are mounting up so a few of us decided to start an online fundraising site to help with the out of pocket expenses. We gave Dave's wife the login so she could use it as a single place to post updates on Dave's progress. If you would like to help out or just check in for updates, go to: www.youcaring.com/davestevenson-746466

Back